Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Brand New E-Revo Brushless Problems?

So, just to begin, sorry for making another thread about an issue that im sure has been posted tons of times. I'd just rather have an up-to-date thread on these issues(:
    It's also worth noting that i am COMPLETELY new to this RC hobby. (Aside, of course from having little rc's as a child)

Anyhoo, this brings me to my issue. I bought my E-Revo near Christmas a few months back, and due to the RC not being waterproof, i haven't touched it until today.

I charged up the couple of NiMH batteries that came with it, and tested the controls/throttle indoors to see if everything was ready for when the snow died down.

Keep in mind, this is a fresh out of the box product. First off, i noticed a little scuff marks on the bottom of the vehicle as if it had bottomed out and hit the ground.

Secondly, which is my biggest issue at the moment, 2-3 out of 4 wheels have a whobble to them. Is this common in a brand new product? I'm sure it can't be good for the vehicle to run on.

Just some extra info-I do plan on purchasing 2x 2s lipos, possibly 2x 3s aswell as a charger. Struggling on finding a brand to stick with for them both.
    I also plan on getting new tyres(: Seems bandlands, trenchers, and mashers are pretty common in this vehicle. I'll tend to be more offroad rather than on/track.

Thanks in advance guys!

RC Qualifier
    How much wobble? Did you try tightening the wheel hexes?

SPC lipos are top notch.

RC Enthusiast
    Funny you should mention that! I was actually thinking about getting two of these -> http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=153 Though, still completely stumped on a charger :P
    Yup! Most definitely did. I tried completely removing it, swapping the wheels around, and tightening as much as i could.

As for the whobble, it's.. pretty noticeable. Enough to make me worry.

*Edit* For the lipos, i heard the higher the mAh, the longer the runtime. Tis' why i'm thinking of those.

RC Qualifier
    The stock wheels and hexes and axle carriers all together wobble, a lot. Noticed it on my stock talons too. After going to new tires +wheels most of the wobble was gone. After that i added HPP wheel hexes, and eliminated even more wobble, and after that, i noticed my axle carriers were a little loose, and after adjusting almost all wobble was gone.

When you're going lipo, you will shred your stock talons in no time, so that's a perfect oppertunity to buy some real tires 8). Best upgrade you can do on a stock revo.

As for the scuff marks, i had some too on my replacement skid plates, i think its part of the manufacturing, and they are not really scuff marks here, but you can notice the spot.

Edit: Yep more mAh = more runtime, simple as that. Those 8200mAh are great batteries, but a tight fit. Too bad shipping is too high to Europe, otherwise i would have ordered some too 8).
    Last edited by WesleyK; 03-22-2013 at 05:15 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    can't beat an icharger http://www.buddyrc.com/jns208b.html

i have all three of those tires .running the mashers on my revo right now
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-22-2013 at 05:13 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for that! Put my mind at ease a bit.. happy to know people werent messing with my stuff before i got it. The box wasn't in the most perfect condition either.
    For the scuff mark, that's actually the same exact place mine is!

Dawh, are the stock wheels really that bad? Darn. I quite like how they look :3

HPP wheel hexes huh? Guess this vehicle's going to need a few upgrades. Any website in particular you'd recommend me order them from?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    can't beat an icharger http://www.buddyrc.com/jns208b.html

i have all three of those tires .running the mashers on my revo right now
    Hm, interesting. I haven't actually heard anything about this charger yet. Think it's something decent for a newbie? :P I'd be pretty bummed if i ended up screwing up my batteries >.>

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cabral View Post
    Thanks for that! Put my mind at ease a bit.. happy to know people werent messing with my stuff before i got it. The box wasn't in the most perfect condition either.
    For the scuff mark, that's actually the same exact place mine is!

Dawh, are the stock wheels really that bad? Darn. I quite like how they look :3

HPP wheel hexes huh? Guess this vehicle's going to need a few upgrades. Any website in particular you'd recommend me order them from?
    HPP hexes are made by HPP (ya, rly hehe) and only sold by HPP, they are a german company.
    http://www.hpp-germany.com/factory-shop/index.php
    Which would be quite expensive including shipping if you live in america i guess. Gets rid of most of the wheel slop, but i think new tires + wheels are the most important factor, it was at least with my revo. And the knuckles, you should check them. Remove the wheels and use the multitool to adjust the 2 pivot ball holders in the steering knuckle/axle carriers. They should by set precisely, tighten until the knuckles cannot move freely anymore and back off 1/8 turn until they move freely again. This helped a lot for me.

Yep i like the stock wheels too, but the tires also balloon crazy on lipo, so not that great for stability. I now have the badlands, with 2 layers of gorilla tape inside to strengthen the tire against ballooning. Great tires, a little small but great off road grip .

Last edited by WesleyK; 03-22-2013 at 05:26 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    better to buy a great charger now then going cheaper then upgrading again!
    upgrades are never ending if you keep looking!

here are my mashers
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-22-2013 at 05:40 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh yeah!! That's one of the things i forgot; Gorilla tape. Hopefully i'm able to get my hands on some. I live in Canada, if it matters at all.
    I'll be taking that advice on the knuckles, and checking them out.
    But yeah, after my purchase of lipos/charger, i think i'll be picking myself up some new wheels/tires. Just checked out the price on those 17mm hexes. Roughly $240. Made my heart skip a beat.

Seeing pictures of what my un-used Revo could look like is just making me so anxious for this snow to melt D: Arghh..

Also, seriously, thanks for all the help so far(: I know people get tired of seeing re-posts. It's just nice to see people out there still willing to help those in need.
    Last edited by Mr.Cabral; 03-22-2013 at 05:46 PM.

RC Enthusiast

here are my mashers
    My thoughts exactly! Hence why i also got myself an E-Revo
    Man.. You're just teasing me now dammit :c
    I think i may have to pick up a couple sets of tires. Hm.

RC Qualifier
    Hehehe, its €45 for a set of 4, if i remember correctly its something like 70-80$ shipped to america/canada?

I bought my gorilla tape from amazon (.co.uk), that was the nearest place i could get it living in the netherlands. You should probably be able to get it too through ebay or amazon.

Get an outerwears! Really, its a great way to keep dirt, snow, water out of your revo. I got one from the beginning and ive driven through snow, rain, dirt, sand and its not a problem at all. The outerwears keeps all snow out and even most of the sand .

Buts thats another 40$ dollar im afraid, i should probably stop advising you hehe

RC Enthusiast
    xD Man i feel like an idiot. Translated the page, and noticed that just now. I was under the impression it was €45 per hub! Put x4 in the cart, and it gave me my $240 total. Was hopping to edit my post before anyone noticed :3

Oh, well if it's online that just means less searching around town for me! Tons of snow here still, so i have lots of time to wait for shipping.

Actually, you know what? I had looked into outerwears. Though, not that brand in particular. It was one made by someone named.. Vlad i believe it was. My main hesitation for getting it, was being unsure how to clean it without getting any water in the ESC afterwards >.>

Bah don't sweat it! I'd rather get all the information i possibly can, rather than messing up something i dropped a big chunk of cash on

RC Qualifier
    You can just remove the outerwears after driving, its atached with velcro. Just use some compressed air to blow off the outerwears and you're done. I usually leave the outerwears attached and clean my wheels/arms/driveshafts etc with a garden hose. Then i take the revo inside, remove the outerwears and let it dry. When its dry i use compressed air to blow everything else clean.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    if you look close i have the hpp hubs! their motor brace too

RC Enthusiast
    : o You hose it down? Really?
    Thought that product was only water resistant, not waterproof! I can see large chunks of snow or little splashes of water not doing anything, but a full-on Niagara Falls shower seems pretty scary!

Other than that, seems pretty simple cleaning it all off; Sweet!
    Last edited by Mr.Cabral; 03-22-2013 at 06:30 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    if you look close i have the hpp hubs! their motor brace too
    Hahaha, i did notice those hubs! ;p
    Though, is the motor brace needed at all? In all honesty, not quite sure how useful that would be seeing as i have yet to hear any issues with the motor.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    on hard landings there is some flex. can pull the pinion away from the spur for a split second

RC Enthusiast
    on hard landings there is some flex. can pull the pinion away from the spur for a split second
    Aah, gotcha! That does sound helpful, though i don't think it's something i'll really need since i don't plan on going completely insane with my Revo.
    Well, not yet atleast

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i didn't either! read the first page of my thread! http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...awasaki-e-revo

RC Qualifier

here are my mashers
    Those mashers look huge.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i had badlands on there and they looked small but these do look pretty big!

If your truck has been sitting on a shelf for a few months resting on the wheels then you have probably put a flat spot in the tyre...I leave my trucks standing upright or take the wheels off if I am not going to use for a while.

As for worrying about the wobble...have the truck elevated off the ground and look to see if the rim is buckled when throttling gently...if not then the wobble its a flat spot in your tyres or a bad glue job. Bad glue job, not much you can do about that.

Have a look through here...it may be of some use to you:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...6-ERBE-rebuild
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry D: I'v been away for a while, but have now returned!
    Just about to finalize everything with orders.
    A recap of everything, hopefully nothing was missed~

Outerwear
    Mashers
    Badlands
    HPP Hexes
    A couple of SPC Lipo batteries
    ICharger
    Gorilla tape

I believe that is all. If there are any other must-have/recommended parts i need, definitely let me know! I'll wait a couple days before purchasing!

EDIT~ I live in Canada. Just in case there are Canadian stores to save on shipping.
    Last edited by Mr.Cabral; 04-22-2013 at 04:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    i second the icharger.i had bought 2 other before this and this is by far the best charger i've owned.but don't forget you will need a power supply to charger in the house. good choice on the spc batteries too.best batteries i've owned too and i've bought a few of them

RC Qualifier
    Can you charge two batteries with the icharger?

RC Qualifier
    i have charged 6 at one time but all must be the same tho and have to check them with battery checker to make sure they are within a 1/10th of each other.i wished i had gotten the 3010b now it can charge up to 30amps where mines only 20amp

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes you can, it needs a parallel-balance wire.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 04-22-2013 at 06:58 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Just to confirm; I would be unable to use the 2.8 tires/wheels from proline, correct?
    If so, i'll be needing to hunt down some wheels to fit the 3.8 tires i'll have to get.

RC Enthusiast
    Aside from a few things being on back-order, everything's going smoothly!
    Main snag at the moment is deciding on an icharger model/finding out the items i'll need to be ready to charge and drive D:

Ah, the joys of having limited knowledge(:
    Last edited by Mr.Cabral; 04-23-2013 at 09:56 PM.

RC Qualifier
    your going to need the icharger of your choice a para board and if you want to charge in the house you'll need a power supply but my power supply only cost 38 bucks from a man on the this board.he builds them

RC Enthusiast
    Alrighty. I suppose i'll settle on the icharger 208B
    Interesting; So it doesn't come with the power supply, nor a parallel board? Any recommendations on which i should purchase?
    Thank youu <3 So close to finally driving this thing for the first timeee!

RC poster
    This is a great combo http://www.progressiverc.com/the-ticket-350w-combo.html Get the Junsi P/S though

RC Enthusiast
    Woah sweet! Willdo!
    Is there an optimal option for the Parallel charge board, charge cable, and lipo guard?(If that's at all needed)

RC poster
    Get the parallel board with the traxxas plugs, traxxas charge cable, either lipo bag will work.

RC Enthusiast
    Aaannd it's on it's way!
    Thanks again for all the help everyone's offered Hit a few bumps on the way, but the people here helped me out tremendously.
    You're all fantastic<3

RC Qualifier
    Great! Keep us posted with some nice bashing pictures and videos!

RC Enthusiast
    SO!
    Time for an update.
    Ran stock to get a feel for how an RC runs. Bashed it maybe a little too much ;p
    First issue was the motor disconecting from the main gear. Fixed that simply by sliding it over.

Got my order of hexs from Germany, installed those. Following day, shipment from proline. Installed 3.8 badlands on chrome desperados. Worried/un-sure how to mount my 3.8 mashers on f-11's, since the tire with the foam seems to be a little longer than the rim(Doesnt quite sit right, so gluing worries me)
    Charger is now in, all im waiting for are the lipos!

Issue at the moment, is when i attempt to give it a lot of throttle when its at a standstill, i hear a slightly louder-than-normal motor noise. When it does that, it doesnt quite move too fast/spin tires, but afterwards seems to catch. Not sure if its the lame stock batteries ,or if i have a bad issue that needs addressing.

Oh.. and im not quite sure how to clean the muddy-ish backside of the vehicle without water. I'm too worried to squirt anything to wash it D:

RC Racer
    I trim my proline foam depending on the tyre. It seems as though they use a standard foam size for all their tyres. So for my trenchers no trimming a needed, but or my road rages and badlands trimmed the foam.

I tend to trim the foam to the sme size as they overall tyre width, seems to work well for me.

RC Qualifier
    I thought you shouldn't trim the tires, it DOES fit, although i doesn't look like it. But i admit, i trimmed the corners too in the foam of my badlands, but only like 1 cm of the corners.
    When i clean it i usually lift the front tires, and hose down the back tires/arms etc so the water stays down and cannot reach the electronics. Same for the front side, i lift the back side and hose down the front side, carefully. Oh, and i leave my outerwears on while doing this. It also depends on the type of dirt. Loose sand i usually only use compressed air, with mud i use a mix of compressed air and water. After using water i spray some silicon spray on the metal parts like the driveshaft pins etc. And once in a while also some on the rubber dust covers, to keep the rubber flexible

Did you adjust your slipper after getting the revo? The slipper is set very loose by the factory to break in the slipper. After one pack of batteries you should adjust it, you will notice that the beast will be unleashed after you did . If you don't adjust it, or not properly you will wear out your slipper pads very fast. I have mine set 1/4 turn back from fully tightend