RC Qualifier

Rit Dye - Wheels

Has anyone else had this experience……..So I’m dying another set of wheels black (4th or 5th pair to have done) and for some reason they didn’t take the dye that great.

Here is what I have and what I did: I found a brand new set of Pro-Line Cheyenne Beadloc’s. Stripped the chrome with Easy-Off and washed them off. I’ve stripped other Pro-Line wheels and the plastic will sometimes vary in color (darkness) but these all but stripped almost bright white. So I used one package of black Rit Dye and let them soak all night long.

Well they kind of turned out a dark navy. So I bought another package of dye and added it to my brew, got it warm again and dropped them back in. I went back after an hour or so to check them and the wheels had hundreds of little blisters all over them. I took them out and rinsed them off and noticed that the blisters would rub/wipe off rather easily but it would leave a light spot……almost a light purple, like the dye was only on the surface.

So I scrubbed them down and put them back in the dye and once again let the soak all night long. When I looked at them this morning they pretty much dyed black but you can see everywhere there was a blister…….like they scared.

I wouldn’t care if these were just any wheel, but I paid an arm & a leg for these things on ebay so I want them perfect, at least in the beginning!?!?!

I was thinking about giving them an Acetone bath, maybe that would smooth them out and then try to dye them a third time. I would appreciate any feedback and was wondering if anyone else ever experienced this and what you did?

Thanks
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Only thing I can think of is you do start with boiling water right?

RC Enthusiast
    you could just spray paint them with real full size car wheel paint if the are scarred that bad? I honestly do know about the acetone, im interested to here what the others say

I never had that problem with my wheels.

I am not sure, but I do not think an acetone bath would be a good idea. That stuff is pretty strong and may weaken the plastic or ruin it period.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Qualifier
    Yes sir. I get the water boiling and then turn the fire off and put the wheels in.

I'm wondering if I didnt get all the Easy Off off the wheels.....maybe i didnt wash them good enough???

RC Qualifier
    Me either.....this is a first.

The only reason I was thinking of Acetone is because I have used that method before to strip the chome and/or when removing glued tires from the rims. I was really more thinking about wipping them down rather than soaking them.......but with the way my luck is going on this set, you're probably right, it may not be a good idea.

RC Qualifier
    Not sure about the acetone bath.... we use it at work all the time, and it can soften up and marr fully cured automotive paint. So I'm thinking submersing that plastic for an extended period of time might have negative effects. You should try maybe an old set that you dont care about first.
    addicted much....

RC Champion
    you shouldn't have messed with them. I heard they look blue at first but as it sets after being taken out of the dye for about a day it should look black.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

hummm not all plastic can be dyed, that being said I would clean them (soap & water) & try one more time...
    boiling water remove from heat, add dye stir & then rims. Let sit for 24 hrs.

I did the rims on my 5ive & left them for two or three days outside, to get them to turn 'black'...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    hummm not all plastic can be dyed, that being said I would clean them (soap & water) & try one more time...
    boiling water remove from heat, add dye stir & then rims. Let sit for 24 hrs.

I did the rims on my 5ive & left them for two or three days outside, to get them to turn 'black'...
    Do you think it had anything to do with the fact that I re-heated the original dye and the added more. Maybe I should have started a whole new batch?

RC Enthusiast
    Is there a chance the blisters are from the boiling water? I've left plastic in dye for weeks at a time.
    E-Maxx/GTP-2e
    Slashx2/KB
    Shredder/MC
    Savage/Ve8

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by linn View Post
    Is there a chance the blisters are from the boiling water? I've left plastic in dye for weeks at a time.
    Thats what I'm kind of leaning towards at this point........maybe I had the water too hot when I put the wheels in. It's like it blisted the oiginal dye or the second dye did not bond. It's like the dye blistered, not the plastic. Because i could rub the blisters off and the dye (bubbles) would just ball up. I'm hoping I can wash the down real good and let them sit in the dye a couple days and they will even out.

I don't know what reheating will do.. No more than they cost for a pack, I would start fresh......
    Have read of pep using their BBQ to keep the water warm/hot...heat & time will get the job done.....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    I dont think those rims liked the heat. When I dyed, I kept the water simmering on the stove the entire time for neon yellow jconcept rulux rims. I stirred those rims for about 45 mins bc they didn't want to turn black enough for my liking.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Qualifier
    Here's a little update.......I noticed when I would scratch/rub the blisters off it would leave light spots. I would get all the blisters off and re-dye. The light spots would dye dark but I would have new blisters. After doing this a couple time I could see it was like a film that was on the wheels that was blistering. Where the blisters had been rubbed off and re-dyed that area was a little more “flat” (not as shinny). At this point I put them back in a box and sprayed them down again with Easy Off, thinking whatever coating was on there would come off. Wrong!!!

I forgot to mention, that when I originally stripped the chrome, that this was by far the easiest set of wheels I had ever done. I sprayed them down and within 4 to 5 minutes 100% of the chrome was gone. I didn’t have to scrub or pick or re-spray. I’ve had other wheels (Pro-Line included) that I have sprayed and let sit overnight, re-sprayed and let sit overnight and re-sprayed again. I literally could have stripped and started dyed within an hour.

After I re-sprayed them with Easy Off, I washed them real good with dish soap and warm water and dyed again. Pulled them out and had blisters!!!! At this point I really didn’t care anymore so I cranked the heat up on the dye and let the wheels sit there and simmer. After about 30 minutes I pulled one out at a time (they were blistered bad) and lightly scrubbed them with a old Scotch Brite Pad until all of the coating that was blistering was gone. I dyed them one last time and they can out near perfect.

I don’t know what was different about this set but hope to never run into it again. My fingers are still black! LOL

RC Champion
    Chemicals.....what can ya do?

RC Qualifier
    Well I FINALLY got them done. This has been a headache since day one but I think they turned out great! I appreciate everyones help!!

RC Qualifier
    Woah great indeed!

RC Champion
    What wheels is that? and they look awesome!
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Ended up turning out very nice!

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys!! That is the Pro-Line Cheyenne Beadloc 40 Series. The Cheyenne is a narrow. They also made the Commando but it was a much wider rim; I had a set of theses I had mounted on Big Joes and sold them on eBay.

I have hours & hours invested in these. First it took forever to find the Cheyenne wheels and as you can read above the dying process was a nightmare. After I stripped the chrome there was some sort of coating (I guess) that was on the wheel under the chrome because every time I would dye them they would blister. I’ve dyed this set of rims no less than 7 times before I finally got them right.

I probably have 8 to 10 hours alone in the aluminum rings. Stripping the orange paint (or powder coating) was crazy! And then it took about 3 hours to polish them.

These wheels are a true "labor" of love! Ha Ha
    Last edited by BlackSheep800; 04-01-2013 at 11:33 AM.

RC Champion
    Yeah there is commandos all over ebay,
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Those don't look to bad mate...well done!
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    Those don't look to bad mate...well done!
    Thanks buddy! Right now they're mounted on the Summit, but I'm sure the erbe will get a few runs in on them. I didn't tape them so we'll have to play nice. LOL!!