RC poster

What are some rustler xl-5 brushed upgrades

I really want to go fast but i have a brushed system cant get a brushless system until 2014 what are the best upgrades i can get

RC Champion
    You have a limit to how fast you can go brushed. Going to an 8 cell nimh pack will bring up the speed as will going up in gearing. Problem is that makes the motor turn into a ticking time bomb for failure. Titan's run better with more voltage but they have half the life or less than if it was run on a 6 cell nimh pack. You end up cooking the brushes. Gear it too high for speed and you'll cook it for sure.

You can go to another motor like a speed gem or other similar, but those don't run significantly faster than the titan, but you can pull the brushes and clean them up or replace them rather than chucking the whole can. Same rules apply, more voltage or more gear and they overheat and die. Gear it up AND up the voltage and you'll get one heck of a hero run one time. Then you'll be buying another motor.

Keep buying brushed motors to replace nuked ones and you will have spent enough to go brushless. Even an ezrun can be picked up for the cost of couple of good quality brushed motors. They aren't as fast as better brands but are much faster than just about any brushed setup.

I was a diehard brushed fan and was exploring how fast I could really make an xl5 go. With a speed gem 17t motor and an 8cell nimh pack running 15/86 gearing it was easily faster than the titan. I had to really keep an eye on temps. It was a fun ride, but it took effort to keep the motor clean and not melt it self down. It's not the answer you wanted, but really save your money and upgrade once you get the funds.
    Brushless 9cell/3s Street Rusty

RC Racer
    I would go with higher gearing like zoomad said and go with ball bearings because the xl-5 come with bushing and there not much you can do with it being a brushed motor but welcome to the traxxas forums

Gold Blooded
    49ERS

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chitty_415 View Post
    I would go with higher gearing like zoomad said and go with ball bearings because the xl-5 come with bushing and there not much you can do with it being a brushed motor but welcome to the traxxas forums

Gold Blooded
    Might want to re-read my post. Higher gearing will bring on more speed but at a loss of motor life. Don't overgear if you want to keep the motor running a long time.
    Brushless 9cell/3s Street Rusty

RC Champion
    rpm carriers and 5x11 bearings.

RC Champion
    Yeah, if a brushless combo can't come until 2014, make the truck more durable for when that time comes. I'd consider an aluminum steering bell crank setup. My brushless powered rustler broke that part from a nasty crash on the very first day.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    rpm carriers and 5x11 bearings.
    +1 this is an important upgrade for the XL-5 model.

Also, do anything possible to lighten the vehicle. That way, you can gear the brushed motor higher without decreasing the lifespan. Cut excess plastic from the chassis and transmission, use smaller wheels, take the wing off the back of the body, don't use the gear cover, move the esc to the side and get rid of the motor plate, and whatever else you can do.

RC Racer
    I use the Traxxas aluminum bearing carriers on my XL-5. They come with the bearings. I'm not saying there better but I am very pleased with there performance and looks. Before I made the jump to brushless, I hooked up 2x 6 cells to the titan, of course knowing that this would for sure burn the motor and or esc out lol. But wow! It was friggen fast! For about 3 mins. I've burnt up a couple Titans.

Save your money and go brushless! Or maybe get a 2s lipo if you have the blue esc with low voltage protection. More power, speed and longer run times. Got to watch your temps though.