RC Competitor

14.4 Dewalt Speed runs/test (E-revo and E-maxx)

I just thought I would share my speed results with the 14.4 Dewalt motor in an emaxx and erevo.
    Any thoughts/questions are welcome.
    Both trucks were tested on dry pavement in 30 degree Fahrenheit weather.

E-revo.

-Completely stock E-revo 5603 except for a kershaw designs motor mount and the dewalt motor.
    -Long travel rockers and summit springs
    -62t spur and 24t pinion. 2.58

*-25mph using 25c 5000mah lipos
    -motor temps stayed +-55 degrees

E-maxx

-Stock except for traxxas cvd center driveshaft, integy heatsink fan, and kershaw designs motor mount and dewalt motor.
    -big bore shocks and integy green progressive springs
    -68t spur and 25t pinion. 2.70

*-30 mph using 25c 5000mah lipos
    -motor temps stayed +-55 degrees

Blue E-revo
    Pink E-Maxx
    Traxxas ERevo 5603 - 14.4 Dewalt -

RC Champion
    Cool! Thanks for sharing. Waiting for delivery on a DeWalt-powered Summit - I'll be comparing it to my stock Titan 775 Summit.

Nice trucks!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Competitor
    Thanks.

let me know how the comparison goes.

What gearing do you plan to run?
    Traxxas ERevo 5603 - 14.4 Dewalt -

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie02ws6 View Post
    Thanks.

let me know how the comparison goes.

What gearing do you plan to run?
    The new "used" summit was geared 22/62 and 3 of 4 motor wires desoldered themselves in the first 30 minutes of test running it. Very frustrating. Did you have any problems with overheating the motor?

Are you using the stock evx2 with LVD or the original evx2? The reason I ask is that the original evx2 can run 3s and a 2s lipo ( for 5s total) and about a 5-10 mph increase in top speed. I did a test run long ago on 5s using the original evx2 and was getting near 35 mph on the Dealt 12 volt motor. Couldn't get much better due to my wobbly tires ( road rages 40 series) I THINK I had gotten up to a 24 pinion and a 54 spur but it was long ago.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Are you using the stock evx2 with LVD or the original evx2? The reason I ask is that the original evx2 can run 3s and a 2s lipo ( for 5s total) and about a 5-10 mph increase in top speed. I did a test run long ago on 5s using the original evx2 and was getting near 35 mph on the Dealt 12 volt motor. Couldn't get much better due to my wobbly tires ( road rages 40 series) I THINK I had gotten up to a 24 pinion and a 54 spur but it was long ago.
    Can't speak for OP but my DeWalt Summit has older non-LVD ESC that could handle 5S. I don't even own a 3S battery currently. I don't have the experience to judge but 24/54 on 5S with a 12v motor sounds pretty tall! You mention wheel wobble but what about heat issues? Any idea what temps you were seeing?

I only did speed test runs using a small cell phone and GPS. Gearing was tall, but I was testing only. As far as heat. . . . the next day my nephew came over and I forgot that I had the high gearing on the truck. 5 minutes into the bash session my nephew goes " Uncle John, your truck is smoking"
    " why thank you"
    " No, really its smoking"

That 12 volt never was the same again. I think I actually got to 38mph before it died. The 14 volt should do better.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Champion
    Thanks for the info. To be honest, I've never been after top speed with my 2WD trucks, just offroad bashing fun. Still, it's tempting to see if I can get the Summit _closer_ to the speeds I get with my 2WD trucks.
    Last edited by OlorinTharkun; 05-01-2013 at 02:13 PM.