RC poster

Anybody ever have this happen?

Hey guys, I've got a 30th anniversary digger and I have upgraded it to a brushless setup. I was going to change the pinion from the stock 16t to the included 21t pinion for higher speed, but when I went to put the grub screw in I found that the hole in the pinion wasn't threaded!! So needless to say I didn't use the 21t pinion lol. Has this or anything like this ever happened to anyone?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNate502 View Post
    I found that the hole in the pinion wasn't threaded!! So needless to say I didn't use the 21t pinion lol.
    Weird.

Now, no offense...but did you look very closely at it? All the pinions I've seen have sort of a wide cutout above the threads to make it easier for the screw to drop in. Not sure what you're seeing (or not seeing)

P.S. - Welcome to the forums.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC poster
    No offense taken...yes I've looked and looked and looked at it over and over lol. I even took it to work and was going to get one of my tool & die guys to tap it out but it's hardened and the tap wouldn't cut it. Ill see if I can't get a decent pic of the hole in the 21t pinion and the 16t so you guys can see it. I work in auto parts manufacturing and I see nuts and bolts come in unthreaded all the time.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNate502 View Post
    I work in auto parts manufacturing and I see nuts and bolts come in unthreaded all the time.
    That makes sense. If you call Traxxas and let them know what happened, they'll send a new one to you right away, I'm sure. 1-888-TRAXXAS.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I'd contact Traxxas to see if they could replace it for you. If not just pick another one up they are a cheaper part to pick up.

BTW that's the first time i've heard and seen that.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC poster
    Here are a couple of pics of the pinion without the threads. You can see in the 2nd pic the threads clearly aren't there when sitting next to a 23t pinion that has the threads.

RC Qualifier
    I agree with zippogeek and diggerpede contact traxxas about it but that is REALLY weird

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, call Traxxas I'm sure they will send you a new one.

You just didn't use enough duct tape is all, lol.
    Seriously, I do think Traxxas will take care of that since it's a manufacturing defect. They will probably also be glad to be clued in regarding a possible QC issue.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Dang I knew I should have tried duct tape lol!! I am going to give traxxas a call in the morning. Even if they don't replace it I'd like them to be aware of the defect.

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas has your back! They've helped me with burnt motors and replacing missing parts in my shocks! Although, if you live in an apartment make sure they get your appt. #
    Jesus, Lights, RC, Minecraft, LoL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieToTraxxas View Post
    Traxxas has your back! They've helped me with burnt motors
    and providing a 16t pinion gear.

I definitely agree, that's the best customer service and after support from any company that I have had. A great explanation of how to gear and break in the motors, fast and rapid response.

RC Qualifier
    Heh, looks like that thing was made at 5:00 o clock on a friday by a temp employee! "Was i supposed to thread that hole? eh oh well its quitting time!! hehe" Hopefully traxxas sends u a new one , for their obvious quality control oversight, D'oh.

RC poster
    Just got off the phone with traxxas...I told the guy the problem and without hesitation he took my address and has a new pinion on the way. Awesome customer service!