Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

My slash 4x4 with mamba monster 2200kv combo speed setup

Here is my Slash Ultimate 4x4 with Mamba Monster 2200kv motor and esc. Trying to see if I can get close to 100mph with this setup. It also has:
    Traxxas LCG chassis
    XO-1 shock towers
    XO-1 shocks
    XO-1 wheels and tires
    17mm wheel adapters
    MIP x-duty axles
    6s 5000mah 45-90c lipo
    Mod 1 gears

Tomorrow my DP2 gt body gets here along with adjustable body mounts and battery straps. Ought to be a fun setup=)

RC Champion
    looks great. should easily get to 90mph without breaking a sweat.
    what gearing you running? 25/34?
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    that looks like a beast ... should be super fast!

I love the look of your super rocket dude and will be keeping my fingers crossed that you smash the 100mph barrier....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    looks great. should easily get to 90mph without breaking a sweat.
    what gearing you running? 25/34?
    Right now I'm at 15/40 mod 1.
    Trying to figure out what the tallest setup I can run. I have a 29t xo-1 pinion gear and 36 spur but, the 29t won't fit. Is 25/34 the biggest I can fit in there?

RC Qualifier
    Cool looking truck. What brand is your spur and pinion?
    I currently has 34T spur 23T pinion on my street set up on 3S, and I think it's way too fast or even uncontrollable on 5s or 6s
    Here is a pic with 54T 32P Spur for size perspective:

I want to get a bigger spur so I can have more option to gear it with smaller pinions

RC Enthusiast
    I forgot what brand the pinion is, I'll have to check and see next time I'm at my lhs. The spur is just a plastic Traxxas one

the biggest mod 1 I've seen fit was a 25. looks like a great setup. right now the fastest 4x4 caught on video is 91mph, but he did it with a castle 2650 in his.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Enthusiast
    Good info, I'll try the 25/34 setup.
    I'll make sure to get it on video with a radar gun and GPS on the truck.
    One thing I have noticed just in driving it today is, it's not easy to keep straight. You have to ease on the throttle thru out the powerband or the tires will break loose and spin

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure if you can even control the truck with that gearing. Your truck still looks kind of high off the ground (you might need to lower some more, zip-tie them down ). What differential oil you are using on the diffs? , You might need to use higher weight on the differential (100k on the front?)

RC Enthusiast
    I'm going to zip tie it down to get it lower. Right now I'm running 10k oil front and back with the slipper clutch. It might just be me but it seems like the 10k oil has slowed the truck down some

I used to be a speed run guy. the secret to a stable car is in the shock oil and ground clearance. I ran 60-80wt oil to eliminate any body roll and dropped the ride height to horizontal arms and used the stiffest springs I could find. I could point the 4x4, and stomp it. it shot off like a missle with no issues.. I also used a wing to stabilize the rear and went with aluminum rear arms to add some more weight. by the time I was done I couldn't wheelie if I tried to. diff oil was irrelevant to me. it didn't matter what weight I used. I also opted to run without a lid. it always did better without one. even the on road lids. hope that helps. if you look at my avatar, that was my speed slash. that 4x4 with a 2650 and 6S geared 25/34 was well into your speed range. I was never able to get the 2200 over 90. the 2650 was a better choice for my setup.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 03-21-2013 at 09:02 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    We're you just not able to gear the 2200 high enought to get a higher top speed?
    I might have to modify the motor mount and chassis to be able to fit pigged gears for the 2200

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i doubt the 25t will fit without taking some plastic off the chassis, i run mine with 20t pinion and it almost touch the chassis.
    i run mine 20t/36t on 6s and that thing is stupid fast that i can hardly mashed the throttle all the way without lifting the front end, crashed it the first time i strap 6s in it, so i change the springs to a stiffier ones from summit, yeah summit springs lol, and i manage to gun it full throttle with couple passes. i always trying to find a way to make a diffuser like the XO-1 but all i did was the front and it looks like this.

its made from a thin cutting board lol. i also have a XO-1 with 325mm wheelbase.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 03-21-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Qualifier
    If you want to gear 'to the moon' then get HR mod 1 34T spur and 25T and below pinions - They will fix for sure.

34/25 mode 1= 1.36 compared to 50/26 mode 0.8= 1.92

i have the HR 34t spur also and that thing sounds real good pairing it with hardened pinion, too bad i cant use it on my XO-1 then i could have run it 1.1 ratio 34t/34t

Quote Originally Posted by OGlalerat View Post
    We're you just not able to gear the 2200 high enought to get a higher top speed?
    I might have to modify the motor mount and chassis to be able to fit pigged gears for the 2200
    yeah, that's exactly right. I couldn't gear it high enough. the 2650 provided the needed rpms to compensate for that.i also thought about going to a monster mamba xl and try 8S, but I was able to accomplish it with the 2650 motor.

RC Champion
    34/25 with my new Castle 1800kv motor and 4s? HAHA 114mph, yeah right. The thing would be air born before you knew it. Let alone trying to keep the grip.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Enthusiast
    Today I got the chassis notched out and motor mount clearanced to fit a 29t pinion and 36t spur. Making a extension plate tomorrow so I can bolt the motor plate to the motor mount.
    It's just gonna me weight and down force to keep it to the ground. Should be interesting

RC Enthusiast
    Here's a little update. Got my DP8 body mounted. I used XO-1 front and rear body mount posts. I also used XO-1 front bumper and high speed splitter. I was able to fit a 27/34 mod 1 gear setup in it. Took it out yesterday without the body on to see how it ran and all I can say is....WOW! I'm going to need a bigger place to run it. Hopefully in a day or 2 I will be able to go out with the radar gun and gps to see how fast its going

That thing is a beast pls make a vid when possible dude ......peace

RC Qualifier
    Here's a little update. Got my DP8 body mounted. I used XO-1 front and rear body mount posts. I also used XO-1 front bumper and high speed splitter. I was able to fit a 27/34 mod 1 gear setup in it. Took it out yesterday without the body on to see how it ran and all I can say is....WOW! I'm going to need a bigger place to run it. Hopefully in a day or 2 I will be able to go out with the radar gun and gps to see how fast its going
    Great looking, you need to take a better picture to do its justice. Also, the body is nicely fit, what model is that?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hskb View Post
    Great looking, you need to take a better picture to do its justice. Also, the body is nicely fit, what model is that?
    Protoform DB8, also comes on this GTP2 EP
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAGUH&P=ML
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Enthusiast
    I got a rear wing mounted and ran it today at a little bigger place. Was only able to get up to 3/4 throttle, then immediately had to let off and get on the breaks. GPS mounted inside the car says 82.2mhp.
    Going to a place twice as big tomorrow. I'll have someone to video and also hit it with the radar gun. Thinking 100mph is very doable. With the XO-1 front highspeed splitter and e-revo rear wing it's staying very stable and not trying to take flight

Sounds like you are ready to join the 100mph club dude best of luck .....peace

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Lol ..... subscribed!! Looks like we gonna see some high numbers!
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Enthusiast
    good luck on achieving that speed goal.

are you using stock arms? extended 17mm? it fits perfectly with the body on. looks good.

RC Qualifier
    Going to a place twice as big tomorrow. I'll have someone to video and also hit it with the radar gun. Thinking 100mph is very doable. With the XO-1 front highspeed splitter and e-revo rear wing it's staying very stable and not trying to take flight
    Can't wait to see the footage. Good Luck!

RC Enthusiast
    So the place I went to the other day ended up sucking. Its a huge parking lot but, its old and has gravel, pot holes, dirt and so on. So I opted not to run it there.
    I did find a place close to my house and ran it today. Still ran out of room and ended up having to run it off the road or else it was going to go into traffic. I could start it further away which I will end up doing tomorrw and I will also have my bro with me to video tape. All I have for now is a picture of the gps after my run today. 92.2mph, i'm nipping on the heels of 100=)

RC Enthusiast
    I should also add that I modded a set of XO-1 lower plastics and rear de-fuser. It makes the car ride on rails. I get nervous thinking its going to take flight but, so far so good.

There is a video of a guy clamming he did 107mph with his slash 4x4 but never shows the car itself and only gets the speed with a radar gun. When i get it on vid it will start with me showing the car, resetting the gps and wont stop till after the run when I pull the car up to me and pull the body to show the gps

RC Qualifier
    I should also add that I modded a set of XO-1 lower plastics and rear de-fuser. It makes the car ride on rails. I get nervous thinking its going to take flight but, so far so good.

There is a video of a guy clamming he did 107mph with his slash 4x4 but never shows the car itself and only gets the speed with a radar gun. When i get it on vid it will start with me showing the car, resetting the gps and wont stop till after the run when I pull the car up to me and pull the body to show the gps
    Can you post pics of your undertray? I was thinking of doing the same thing for my on-road Rally, using XO-1 modded splitter, and diffuser.

Thanks!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Enthusiast
    Here is a vid of today, went back to the spot and got 95.6mph. still can't hold it open. Going to a local airport tomorrow that I checked out today and it will be perfect.
    Sorry for the horible video, my bro shot it with his phone then texted it to me and it lost a lot of quality, and he didnt leave it running thats why its in 2 clips

That thing is a bullet dude and getting very close to hitting the ton man.....peace

Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    Can you post pics of your undertray? I was thinking of doing the same thing for my on-road Rally, using XO-1 modded splitter, and diffuser.

Thanks!
    AB
    i'd like to know too how he got it mounted in there!! pls tell us

RC Enthusiast
    Well....today I went to the local airport. First run hit 99.3mph, second run hit 100mph. Letting the car cool off now then going to try one last run. Very excited to hit 100mph with a Traxxas slash 4x4=)

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    i'd like to know too how he got it mounted in there!! pls tell us
    I will post a few pics in a hour or so when I post pic of the GPS reading.
    It's not a show car by any means, I just cut the back of the lower side plastics and rounded them around the tires. Then marked the holes from the lower plastics onto the bottom of the slash chassis, drilled them, then screwed it on. The rear de-fuser I had to cut the bottom of it so the car could sit lower and the 2 rear mounting holes mount to the rear body mount bracket and the 2 front holes mount to the chassis

99.3mph run

100mph run

front view with body, high speed XO-1 splitter and E-revo rear wing

side view with the XO-1 lower side plastics

here is a rear shot with the body on with the XO-1 rear de-fuser

top shot with the body off, you can see the XO-1 plastics on

bottom shot of the car with the XO-1 plastics
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-05-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Congratulations man. That's awesome! Love your engineering. You got skills.

Sent from Oser world

RC Enthusiast
    I went back yesterday with my bro to get it on video. At 93.3mph i'm guessing the left rear mip x-duty stub axle sheared off sending the tire flying which resulted in this

RC Qualifier
    Wow, great work. You went extra miles to mod the truck,
    I guess it must be very excited seeing the slash hitting the 100mph mark - time and effort well spent

RC Enthusiast
    New little update, got the rear MIP X-duty stub axle replaced after shearing it off.
    I was also finally able to fit a bigger pinion and spur gear in, now I'm at 29/36. Also added a heatsink with fan to try and keep the motor a little cooler. Can't wait to take this beast back to the airport. Wonder how much faster it will go adding 2 teeth to both pinion and spur