RC Enthusiast

Unhappy destroyed spiders

so I said in a last post that my driveshafts that go to the rear wheels both tore out from the pivot balls because I had my slipper too tight. well I got new ones put on, charged the batteries and was about to turn it on and take her out... but I had this nagging feeling to open the rear diff and check it out, just to make sure. there was no grinding, clicking, popping, or resistance when I would rotate the wheels, but still had this feeling. so I decide to open it up and its a good thing I did.

snapped the aluminum I beam support, 3 teeth on one spider, and 2 on the other. the broken teeth were caught in the grease out of the way, not touching anything, hense no noise or clicking or getting "stuck" rotating.

is there a "bullet proof" set of these? or are we stuck with the stock aluminum ?

RC Champion
    There certainly is! Check this thread out, thanks Noir!

While on the subject of tightened slipper, how tight specifically would you say? Did you tighten it on purpose, or do you just assume it was too tight? I tightened mine full - until the spring was fully compressed - and then un-tightened it as to leave about 0.5mm within the spring spacing.

Put a magnet on that "aluminum" and see what happens.
    I know of no replacement for the stock I-beam.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    thanks!
    well I went from the Kershaw hd slipper, which did nothing but slip, no matter how tight you got it ( I actualy snapped the threads off the input shaft trying to keep it from slipping) back to the stock one. I Guess I was frustrated about the kd one slipping so much I tightened it till the spring was compressed with no gap bewtween coils. now I have it tightened just enough to barely be able to make it slip by hand. I will adjust it once I get the diff parts in and get it rolling again

RC Champion
    Ah makes sense! Good luck on the rebuild! =)

RC Enthusiast
    thanks! the lhs was out of these parts, and dont know when they will get them in. I was tempted just to lock up the diff and run it locked. (I get anxious not be able to drive it lol) of course im not gonna.. but still tempting

RC Enthusiast
    lol just thought of a possible sig... "My Summit kills spiders better than Orkin." lol I know its my fault, not the summit, but I still think its funny

Seen it a couple of times maybe lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    compared to the actual gears that I beam is fairly simple. Can we not just take a hunk of steel and a dremel and make one?
    Are many peolple having I beam failures?
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    I had a I beam break too..

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

I mashed my spider gear once...in my eRevo. Stripped countless ring and pinions but never broken an I-Bar....
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    I would imagine you can buy a small chunk of steel and dremel it out... wouldnt be too difficult.... was iy just me or are those hardened steel sets in german on that site? lol and they are out of stock

RC Enthusiast
    got it all rebuilt. new gears, just stockers, and I figured I might as well dechrome the rims, and did the beadlocks in rhinoliner. I personally think it looks WAY better

RC Qualifier
    Looks great! I recently broke my rear diff, again. So this week i put a spool in the rear. No more selectable locker but tired of being broken all the time.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    Looks great! I recently broke my rear diff, again. So this week i put a spool in the rear. No more selectable locker but tired of being broken all the time.
    I've come to the same conclusion but am not sure which spool to buy. Do the revo one's fit? I imagine you would need to swap around the long/short side axles?? Any info you can give would be handy.
    another Dewalt...another frequently broken Summit.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I bought one off the interweb that said it was for a revo. Wrong one i guess. It was too short, sooo, i lengthened it.

ugly yes, but its hidden away in the diff and works just dandy!

RC Competitor
    haha, cheers. I had a similar idea to lengthen it but figured I'd never get it straight enough. Cheers anyway.

RC Competitor
    Instead of buying a spool, could you not glue (epoxy) the locker hub into the carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by 79Broncojoe View Post
    Instead of buying a spool, could you not glue (epoxy) the locker hub into the carrier?
    Or perhaps just use a bit of throttle control and sense regarding what should and should not be done with this truck?
    This summer I'll have had my Summit two years. Over that period it has gotten the lion's share of my RC outings, and those outings last longer than those with my other trucks. Yet the spare diff I bought at the time of my Summit purchase is still sitting unused in my pit box. I must be doing something wrong.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Or perhaps just use a bit of throttle control and sense regarding what should and should not be done with this truck?
    This summer I'll have had my Summit two years. Over that period it has gotten the lion's share of my RC outings, and those outings last longer than those with my other trucks. Yet the spare diff I bought at the time of my Summit purchase is still sitting unused in my pit box. I must be doing something wrong.
    You must have bought a Wednesdays Summit, I think mine is a Tuesdays build, it has some problems but not too many. Throttle control is not really a problem, my failures tend to happen at low revs, mostly when the wheels (40s Rok Loks) bind or grab on something like a rut or undercut. Simple thing is I want more from my Summit than it was designed for so improvements are necessary.

Cheers for the epoxy tip Joe, I've gone the alloy diff cups & treated gears route for improvement. Although, I will keep that in mind as a spare if I start breaking the alloys.

Quote Originally Posted by SUMMIT51Z View Post
    You must have bought a Wednesdays Summit, I think mine is a Tuesdays build, it has some problems but not too many. Throttle control is not really a problem, my failures tend to happen at low revs, mostly when the wheels (40s Rok Loks) bind or grab on something like a rut or undercut. Simple thing is I want more from my Summit than it was designed for so improvements are necessary.

Cheers for the epoxy tip Joe, I've gone the alloy diff cups & treated gears route for improvement. Although, I will keep that in mind as a spare if I start breaking the alloys.
    I know I've tempted Fate now. Every time I post like I did above, I'm the next one shattering the part(s) in question. I should really know better.