RC poster

T-Maxx 3.3 Issues

When I throttle up on my T-Maxx the motor revs high but there is no big power to wheels. If I lightly throttle it I can get it going fast but I would need a football field to do so. I dont see any noticible wear on the gears that are visible. Hopefully its not in the transmission itself. I've only had my T-Maxx for 2 weeks and have driven it maybe 5 hours all together. The first couple of hours I drove it light and let it cool inbetween tanks.

BTW this is a 4907 model
    Last edited by Double G; 03-21-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: merge

Check the slipper clutch adjustment.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    its so wierd you see this issue constantly with brand new t-maxx's, but i built a new transmission for mine like a year ago and havent had to touch the slipper since... i think from the factory they set it just a bit loose or something..

here is a link if you need help, http://traxxas.com/support/How-Adjust-Slipper-Clutch
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC poster
    Thank you guys for the advice. I am at work right now but when I get off I will be sure to give this a try and keep this thread updated if the fix works or not.

RC Racer
    can guarantee that it will be your slipper clutch. it will either be loose or one or more of the shoes will be destroyed. it might pay for you to do the brake disc slipper upgrade on your slipper clutch because you will just keep burning through slipper shoes like I do.

RC poster
    Can you shoot me a link to the upgrade please. I always loved the word "upgrade".

RC Racer
    if your keen you can also do a few other upgrades? upgrade your shock towers and a arms to RPM parts and put a true track system on the rear of your truck. and big bore Shocks with progressive springs on it and also a metal geared steering servo and alloy servo horn if your keen I found my stock traxxas one kept stripping out. ill see if I can find the link if not one of the guys here might post it first.

RC Racer
    TRA4964 brake disk (replaces slipper clutch pads) thats what I was told to use. Haven't run my truck with it yet as im still waiting for alot of upgrade parts to finish off my maxx. (giving it pretty much a complete over haul). all you do is put the brake disc in the place of the shoes and adjust it as you normally would.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by B3nno8 View Post
    TRA4964 brake disk (replaces slipper clutch pads) thats what I was told to use. Haven't run my truck with it yet as im still waiting for alot of upgrade parts to finish off my maxx. (giving it pretty much a complete over haul). all you do is put the brake disc in the place of the shoes and adjust it as you normally would.
    I just did the "upgrade". It works great. You need to make the holes bigger on the brake disc so it fits on the clutch.
    Scott

4909 MAXX 3.3
    4910 MAXX 2.5

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sefh View Post
    I just did the "upgrade". It works great. You need to make the holes bigger on the brake disc so it fits on the clutch.
    Excuse me for sounding like a noob but does anyone have a pic of this upgrade? I'm trying to visualize this but it's not making sense...lol.
    Traxxas Nitro Sport w/ TRX 3.3 Racing Engine

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte_1977 View Post
    Excuse me for sounding like a noob but does anyone have a pic of this upgrade? I'm trying to visualize this but it's not making sense...lol.
    here is mine, i built a brand new steel transmission, did this 2.5 brake disk mod, set my slipper how i like it, havent had to touch it in a year literally....

RC Racer
    Use the disc and enlarge the holes so the clutch plates will fit. I might have a picture at home of what I did.
    Scott

4909 MAXX 3.3
    4910 MAXX 2.5

RC poster
    Tightening the slipper clutch fixed this problem. Now I’m back in action! Thank you guys for the help and quick responses!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcardenas View Post
    Tightening the slipper clutch fixed this problem. Now I’m back in action! Thank you guys for the help and quick responses!
    cool man, glad to hear it didnt destroy a shoe in there...

Here is the brake disc on a Hot Racing double up slipper plate.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    Yeah...I'm thinking I cant do this mod on my 4910 TMAXX?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte_1977 View Post
    Yeah...I'm thinking I cant do this mod on my 4910 TMAXX?
    yes this mod is for the 3.3 trans/ grey trans... youll notice mines black but mines the exception as i died the case black cause i dont like the grey plastics...

you can upgrade your slipper on a 2.5 trans though to the newer slipper design then do this mod... its called the torque control upgrade...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSGN1&P=7
    Last edited by kuskye25; 03-22-2013 at 09:42 AM.

RC Racer
    I didn't see any info as to how many teeth are on that spur gear. I currently have a 72 tooth spur gear installed. Still looks awesome though. Thank you for the info Kuskye.
    Last edited by Monte_1977; 03-22-2013 at 11:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The 5351x kit comes with a 72t spur gear.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-...item1e7899cfcc
    Keep in mind you'll be replacing the 3 friction pads supplied with a brake disk,
    and you will have to open up your transmission to complete the upgrade.
    Last edited by NitroTrout; 03-23-2013 at 12:12 AM.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..