Just got an MMM couple of questions

First, with the stock settings is it a bit twitchy with the throttle? And servo takes a second to recenter like its not getting the signal quick enough or is this the brown out caused by the weak bec?

Field card or usb? I am not much into changing settings I like setting it where I like and leave it but they are both around $30, so is there a reason to go with one over the other? I have a laptop.

Last, for now, what are the stock slipper settings to break-in the clutch? I just replaced my pads and cannot find where I should set it to break them in, I googled but it only has multiple results with the process to break them in not the setting they are supposed to be at to do so.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    Taking off slowly needs some getting used to i guess, that's where you are missing the benefits of the sensored ESCs i think. For the servos, did you align your servos? They might be fighting each other(or do you have a single servo?).

Field card was 5$ more in my case, so i went for the field card, its exactly the same as the usb programmer but then added the ability to program on the field. And you can still program using USB. Is probably worth the 5 bucks if you ask me.

I dont know what the stock setting is, but from what i can remember it was very loose. I couldnt believe that i had to tighten the nut that far to get to the right setting. I would say 2 turns from fully tightened probably more. Just keep an eye on the slipper temp and be gentle with the throttle while burning in. After that, tighten and back off 1/4 to 1/2.

I have a single spektrum s8000 I can't find an amp rating for it, I think I will order the capacitor kit for the MMM when I get the field card/castle link.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i would do the castle link(actually have both) with the castle link easier to do the throttle curve .few more options i have only needed the field link a few times since i bought it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Did you recalibrate the esc with your radio? I just change two things on the esc, brakes to 30-40%, and LVD to 3.4v. With the field card you can make adjust w/wo having it plugged to the pc, with the usb link, you need the pc obviously.

Slipper Clutch Break In
    Post #283
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5388463

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE

servos not centering
    check pivot ball caps, not to tight
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Slipper Clutch Break In
    Post #283
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5388463

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE

servos not centering
    check pivot ball caps, not to tight
    Servo didn't have this issue before the MMM, so pretty sure it is the esc. That doesn't answer my question about the clutch, I read that about four times in my search before posting. I need the box-stock clutch setting to follow that break-in. I am leaning toward the castle link, since I have the laptop I can take with if necessary and updates will come in automatically.

I appreciate the responses, but I really need my questions answered.

The twitching is like this...I pull the throttle a little it starts to move and then jumps like I stabbed the throttle and then goes back to moving slowly, it is almost like glitching with the radio. And the servo thing...if I move the wheel to one side there is a lag when it responds so it isn't just centering, could it be the voltage from the esc isn't high enough for the receiver, its a tactic 224. I am starting to think the issues are related, maybe the bec can't keep up or the radio isn't getting enough juice to work properly, tomorrow I will try a bec and see where that leaves me.
    Last edited by rjm2519; 03-20-2013 at 08:08 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I never have done a clutch break in on any of the trucks i had, and never had a problem, actually this is the first time i heard about it, just fully tighten it up, and then loose from 1/4 to 3/4 of a turn counterclockwise, I run 1/4-1/2 turn.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 03-20-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Just tight'n the slipper all the way & back it off haft turn, or a full turn that is a little tighter than stock setting..

I like C link...

edit teeeheee

RC Racer
    Mine did similar things when I installed my mmm I put a glitch buster in it and fixed it

Thanks a lot guys, I burned up a spur and aluminum pads already from not breaking them in properly I didn't want to do that again. I went with the stock pads this time.

Castle link it is, just need to shop around, thanks again.

I also noticed the last time I switched from a 68 to 58 spur that the slipper started to give more, do you guys adjust the slipper when you change to higher gearing?

nope my slipper is set tight with little to no slip......
    dirt is my slipper.....

OOOooo and servos centering doesn't have anything to do with the BEC, so check you servo saver, the spring & other parts. My Revo has not been centering very well lately. Pivot ball cap was a little to tight......
    Last edited by 87 GN; 03-20-2013 at 08:19 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    i have a double up slipper so i set it where i can barely turn the spur when holding the shaft tight. needs to slip to do it's job

The motor I have runs at 130-140 degrees geared 20/58 offroad, but the esc I had stays in the 90 degree range, is it possible I am overgeared or is it more likely that the batteries are maxxing out and causing higher temps. They are 25c 5000 2s packs from spc. The motor is some offbrand, TPPower 2250kv.

The castle link and the field link programmer do the exact same thing...you have more options with the field link programmer being able to adjust setting on the fly.

You can plug the field link programmer into a PC via USB and you will get the exact screen shots as the castle link...I use the field link programmer and have never had any issues doing settings to my ESC.

I am running the latest firmware - V 3.53.13

Basic Settings:
    • Cutoff Voltage - Auto LiPo
    • Auto LiPo Volts/Cell (LVC) - 3.4v per cell
    • Reverse Type - With Reverse
    • Motor Direction - Normal
    • Motor Type - Brushless
    • Power-On Warning Beep - Beep Enable
    • Brake Amount - 30%
    • Drag Brake - 13% Custom

Power Settings:
    • Max Forward - 100%
    • Max Reverse - 35%
    • Punch Control - 30%
    • Torque Limit - 9.5

Advanced
    I leave at default

Throttle & Brake Curves
    I set mine exponential...I like to soften my throttle and brake curve

BEC
    I have set my ESC to to 6 volts.

I run these settings with 20/54 gearing on 2/3s...I had my truck out on Tuesday and motor temps didn't exceed 66įC running on longer than usual grass...my ESC temps about the same.
    Last edited by MITCH316; 03-20-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: re-worded
    Rock n Rolla !

Today I am officially naming the bec the culprit, when I steer and give throttle the power cuts off and on. May find a glitch buster or break down and buy a better servo, just really don't want to spend $100 on one!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've read some issues with spektrum servos, they need draw too many amps, that's you issue. I run hitec 7955 on my erevo,and savox on my emaxx without a problem,they don't need an external bec or a glitch buster.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 03-21-2013 at 01:43 PM.

One spare capacitor and an old rx plug, problem solved for now. I cannot believe the BEC is really that weak, SMH!

On another note, is it just me or is the MMM putting more power to the motor than the hobbywing does. Seems to have more speed and torque.
    Last edited by rjm2519; 03-21-2013 at 02:31 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My savox on my maxx needed a glitch buster. Did the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    One spare capacitor and an old rx plug, problem solved for now. I cannot believe the BEC is really that weak, SMH!

On another note, is it just me or is the MMM putting more power to the motor than the hobbywing does. Seems to have more speed and torque.
    I have noticed that too between my Hobbywing and Castle...castle having more speed and torque. I'm glad that the capacitor solved your issue.
    Rock n Rolla !

Really itching to get some better packs, maybe a couple 3s to see how much power this motor has. Specs are close to the 2200 neu but I am not brave enough to call them similar motors. I am going to be building up a buggy from a slash chassis so that is where the 3s will likely call home but I want to see what the revo can do.

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    Really itching to get some better packs, maybe a couple 3s to see how much power this motor has. Specs are close to the 2200 neu but I am not brave enough to call them similar motors. I am going to be building up a buggy from a slash chassis so that is where the 3s will likely call home but I want to see what the revo can do.
    Nice...will you have a build thread in the Slash 4x4 forum...if so I will keep an eye out for it.
    Rock n Rolla !

Yeah guess I better start picking others brains for ideas! Toying with building my own version of a rally/on/light offroad machine.