RC Competitor

Battery problems

My spartan is completely stock nothing changed at all. When I run my traxxas 5000 3s lipos they get very warm. This is my second set of betteries the first lipo set had one pop a cell so there went $70 bucks. Any Responses as to what's causing my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Travis

RC Qualifier
    Lipos do get warm after running. Try and get some temps readings from the ESC,motor and batteries as this will tell us more. The infra red temp gages are inexpensive and worth every penny.

RC Qualifier
    How old is your Spartan?
    Maybe there's binding somewhere like on the flex cable, mis-alignment between brass tube and strut, there's a lot of it, try to look on those things.
    Batteries are included by the warranty.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Competitor
    I'll check for any binding tomorrow. The boat is 3 weeks old.

RC Champion
    If I've read it once I have read it a hundred times about batteries puffing in a stock Spartan. And I have had it happen to me as well.

Long wide open runs in a stock Spartan with almost any battery with less than a 40c minimum discharge rate, seems to produce the puffed battery syndrome. Even continuous on/off full throttle from dead stops cause alot of high current draw which causes the batteries to puff. Even more so in Ni-MH batteries.

To reduce the puffing effect I have found that if you ease into full throttle and keep long wide open runs at 4 to 6 seconds with some 1/2 throttle in between will help minimize the chance of puffing to occur.

Binding in the drive train as mentioned above will also contribute to high current draw and puffing batteries.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis