Thread: first emaxx

RC poster

first emaxx

Hello, I am a newbie so be gentle. I have been thinking of getting into the RC world and have been watching Craigslist to purchase one. My question is, For my first 'real' RC vehicle is it ok to buy used or am I always better off to purchase new? I have found an Emaxx that has RPM A-arms and shock towers. He says he has never ran a lipo battery on it and is asking $300 for it. should I buy, negotiate or run?
    Last edited by blackmagic; 03-19-2013 at 02:21 PM.

RC Champion
    Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me, considering the upgrades. Tell him you want to test drive it and listen carefully for clicking or grinding of any kind. That indicates trouble in the gearbox or differentials. Go over it with a fine tooth comb, looking for cracks in the bulkheads and especially the chassis (which tends to be a little fragile on the E-Maxx).

Welcome to the forums.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    What addition is it? 3906, 3903 or 3908
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole

RC Champion
    I think thats a little high if it's the 3906 model (the first edition) unless it's seriously upgraded.

That's a good price for a 3903 and if it a true Brushless 3908 that a real good price.

+1 on what Zippo suggested.

RC poster
    I haven't seen it yet. It is supposed to be a 3906 edition. He also said he had upgraded to cvd axles.

RC Racer
    If you can swing it a new one is goin to be a much better option. Since you are new to the hobby fixing something cobbled by a previous owner can be very hard. Let's say you buy it for $300. After driving it for a short time you find 3 problems with it, you might not even realize it was wrong since you don't know how it is supposed to be. Those three problem can cost $30+ in parts and your time. The value quickly deminishes of a used truck. Just like if you jump on your friends bike or in there car(not sure how old you are) you notice a hundred things wrong with it. They think it is just fine because they are all little and they don't notice they are messed up since they ride/drive it every day.

To someone who has been running and working on RC trucks for a few years or more they may notice what is wrong and are able to fix it before it causes any problems.

If it looks and drives OK then you should be good to go but I would highly recomend buying new if you can find a way to aford it. New always seems to drive nicer, easier, and has many less issues.

RC Champion
    ^^ nicely put

RC Racer
    thats a bot steep for a 3906. I only paid $150 for my 3906 second hand.... is was stock but I got 3 chargers and 8 extra batteries with it. as whats been said earlier unless its been heavily upgraded its not worth $300. and since its your first truck you might not pick up anything thats wrong with it until you get it home and aftwr the first run find out you now have to replace bulkheads, diffs, towers, shocks, hubs etc. RPM stuff is relatively cheap. ifyour going to spend 300 on buying a used first edition truck may aswell fork out the coin and buy a brand new one. atleast you know there are no gremlins in it.

RC poster
    Thank you for the advice. I have decided that you all are correct and I will pass on this deal and buy a new one. And I am old enough to drive, lol. I have come into this hobby a little later than most I think, lol.

RC Racer
    Guys get into RC at all ages. I know grown men who buy there first RC car. I am 30 now but i was 10 or 12 when I bought my first hobby grade RC.

RC Racer
    Custmemaxx1, Is right the money. Im 32 and got into Hobby Grade RC many moons ago... just look at my User Join Date to the left <<<<

RC Competitor
    I agree for a first timer get a brand new or even a used/like new PN3903 Emaxx like I did - I'm 28 and been doing RC's for 10 years or so and these trucks are the nicest on the market in my opinion.. support and parts/upgrades are awesome

here is mine!

RC Racer
    I'd pass on a 3906 and get yourself at least a 3903 with 2.4ghz. Then you WILL be hooked I'm certain!