Thread: shocks

RC Qualifier

shocks

what is the best shock for bashing?? I've done some research and found that people love ofna shocks and the racerX super shock kit http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/...ml?id=avJuutdn i also know of G made XD shocks these look great http://www.gmade.net/bbs/zboard.php?...5ddd4d4b95bba5 but just wondering if there's a better one out there, i know of the big bores but are they really that great?

i am a basher and basically looking to create a bulletproof truck
    Last edited by Dann117elite; 03-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Racer
    I've had good luck with the factory plastic and you can get a complete set off the E for $15. I swapped the oil over to 40w and some slightly stiffer springs with a few shims. The stock shafts a weak and bend easy but I just bend them back by hand and top off the oil and start bashing again.
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole

The 4 buggy shock setup is great, however you have use either the UE knucklehead or FLM shock tower to use them.
    And with the aluminum towers you really need to get aluminum bulks as the aluminum towers have a bad habit of breaking the tower ears off the plastic bulks in a crash.

But since going with the UE supershocks I'll never go back to 8 shocks again.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    Okay I would still want 8 though I prefer it over four, what do you think of those g made shocks though they're adjustable and seem to be built well
    Like I'm really trying to find the best shock I want my basher as bulletproof as I can have it and right now my shocks are the weak point
    Last edited by Dann117elite; 03-19-2013 at 12:27 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann117elite View Post
    Okay I would still want 8 though I prefer it over four, what do you think of those g made shocks though they're adjustable and seem to be built well
    Like I'm really trying to find the best shock I want my basher as bulletproof as I can have it and right now my shocks are the weak point
    All we do is bash with our e-maxx. http://www.gmade.net/bbs/zboard.php?...5ddd4d4b95bba5 seems a bit pricey for getting 8 of them. We use the traxxas big bores and have had no issues with them

RC Qualifier
    Okay I'd still like to know more about other shocks

RC Champion
    I have a Ofna Hyper SCT that I'm building to race and the shocks really impressed me. I'm really thinking about getting a few extra just to put on my Bad Maxx.

It's really hard to the toughness of the buggy shocks, they are really beefy.
    You don't have to go with the UE shocks, most rear buggy shocks will work, you just need the towers to go with them.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    they do look good but is there a nice "beefy" shock in the normal standard size? one that isn't so long

RC Champion
    they do look good but is there a nice "beefy" shock in the normal standard size? one that isn't so long
    In Wildman's photo, the top looks to be a 1/8 scale rear buggy shock. The bottom shock looks like a standard stock type 1/10 scale shock.

RC Qualifier
    what about these http://www.ofna.com/ultralx2e-rtr.php scroll down to the front shocks

Also is there a really good piggy bank style shock for bashing
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-22-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: merge

That is an Ofna rear buggy shock in the pic, it's what's on both my maxx's.

The thing you have to look out for is the shock travel, the front shock to the one in my pic has less travel then the stock maxx shock does.

Both the shocks in the pic are at maxx extension, the difference in length comes from the shock body & rod end.

Here's the difference in the 12mm bore Ofna buggy shocks, it does vary from MFG to MFG but this gives you an idea as to travel differences in front & rear shocks.

These are the shocks in your link, the pic gives you a sense of the difference in their length & travel.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-Ultra-L...item1c2fe5fc84

Left to right, Traxxas Big Bore, Ofna front, Ofna rear.
    Notice how much less shock travel there is from front shock vs rear shock.
    Take into account that the maxx shock & Ofna rear have roughly the same amount of travel, but look at the travel difference between the front & the maxx shock.

If you don't mind loosing travel then the front's will work for you, also take into account that you still need aluminum towers & bulks once you make the shocks that much stronger you transfer the force into the towers & tower mount ears on the bulkheads.

Losi 8 shocks are a good choice too.

Threads below are good reading.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...3908-Brushless
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-FLM-RPM-build
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ucing-DarkMaxx
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 03-19-2013 at 09:34 PM.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    BTW, UE supershocks are modded Ofna 12mm shocks, i believe. Be ware, especially if you have RPM A-Arms because the larger shock diameters wont clear the upper arms.

Ofna and Losi both make great shocks, although be prepared to upgrade springs because buggy shocks usually have softer springs than what would be prefered on most MT setups.

Just got UE Knucklehead Towers, looking at FLM bulks, does anyone make cheap-ish bulks from T-7075 aluminum? I think FLM are T-6106 or something
    "American Muscle beats import any day of the week"

The only difference between the UE shocks & Ofna 12mm bore rear shocks is the UE shocks come with Ti coated shafts & a spring set made for the weight of the Maxx trucks.

That being said finding the Ofna #40053 12mm bore shocks cheaply is not easy to do, most places want in the $50~$65 range for a pair.

From UE they are $90 now for shocks, stand off's, & spring set.

The only place I know that offers 7075 bulks is the GA & they are far from cheap.
    $150 for Front & Rear pairs.
    http://www.greatassemblyrc.com/Great..._Bulkheads.cfm
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 03-20-2013 at 01:58 AM.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    I run losi 8ight T 2.0 front shocks on all 4 corners with flm shock towers

RC Qualifier
    So basically what you guys are trying to say is the best bashing shocks for the emaxx are the UE shocks? What oil weight do you run in them

So basically what you guys are trying to say is the best bashing shocks for the emaxx are the UE shocks? What oil weight do you run in them
    I'm running 40wt in the front & 45wt in the rear.

If your running RPM arms & get a buggy shock that's a little too big you can always shave the inside of the RPM arm to clearance them.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    Are there any buggy shocks that will fit without modifying the a arms

RC Champion
    Yes the losi 8ight 2.0 front shocks

RC Qualifier
    Do you have a link where I can buy them... Preferably not ebay

Can I just buy the front losi 8ight 2.0 shocks, cause I can only find them in a kit with the rears as well... Or do I have to just buyparts and build them from scratch? If so what parts do I need to make 8 losi 8ight 2.0 front shocks
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-22-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: merge

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    If u get the losi 8ight 2.0 shocks you will also want these springs since the stock springs are way to soft

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
    Last edited by Emaxx1991; 03-22-2013 at 03:28 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Okay thanks guys I plan on running 8 shocks for my set up I just like that better what would be a good shock oil for front and rear's

35wt~60wt, and you can also enlarge the piston holes or add more of the same size to change the dampening action.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Champion
    If your going to run 8 you prolly won't need the springs I posted. I only run 4 tho and there really is no need for you to run 8. Just = more weight and more maintenance. Also if u run 8 I would go with 60w like mentioned above but if u go 4 u should change out the piston to the #56 and use 90w front and back!!
    Last edited by Emaxx1991; 03-22-2013 at 07:22 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx1991 View Post
    I run losi 8ight T 2.0 front shocks on all 4 corners with flm shock towers
    would it be better to run the losi 8ight t 2.0 rear shocks instead of the fronts? how long are the two compared to one another

RC Champion
    No, even with the flm towers you would bottom out your shocks befor your chassis hit.

RC Racer
    I would also like to know how long they are, I think 105mm is target for the Maxx.

Emaxx1991- I think you have your statement reversed Chassis before shocks maybe?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepRubicon2k3 View Post
    I would also like to know how long they are, I think 105mm is target for the Maxx.

Emaxx1991- I think you have your statement reversed Chassis before shocks maybe?
    Nope. The shock bodies for the rear shocks are much longer so even with the shocks mounted at the highest position the shock is going to bottom out. Before the chassis touches the ground.

Front losi 8ight 2.0 shocks -110mm
    Rear 130mm
    Last edited by Emaxx1991; 03-23-2013 at 10:34 AM.

RC Racer
    Oh ok, how much suspension travel do you loose with the bigger shocks, prob not much.

RC Champion
    I would say about 10mm since there 10mm longer

RC Competitor
    I run the stock 3903 shocks with a few shims and my truck handles great -inner 4 shocks are on the outer mount hole on the top- outer 4 shocks are kit stock positions- I would like to try the Brushless progressive rate springs however and see if they make a difference in chassis roll

Dialing in the camber and toe angles help more so than tuning the shocks- my E would wander all over - constantly had to over correct the steering to keep in straight - dialed it in now even spinning all 4 tires in snow it goes straight

you want a little dive in the front under braking and want it to squat a bit in the rear under acceleration- that's weight transfer it helps the truck handle better even though it looks like it isn't- having a rock hard suspension will likely cause under steer (over steer is better to me..) and break parts when jumping/ on rough terrain
    Last edited by Zac_F71; 03-23-2013 at 04:13 PM.