RC Enthusiast

Unhappy Trouble Shooting

Hi Traxxas community!
    I purchased my Traxxas Slash model 5803 about a year and a half ago. All of the sudden, when I go to start it it won't start. When it does start, it runs with a high pitched constant engine sound, Also I loose conection from remote to receiver at about fifty yards. I don't know what is going on, I have never done anything major to the Slash its self. I know why the reception is going bad, but I don't know what the engine sound, and no start condition is.
    If you have any answers, please reply!
    Thanks!
    jetsarethebest

RC Champion
    Welcome! If I remember correctly that vehicle is brushed? It is possible that there is dirt or dust in the motor. Try cleaning out the motor with motor cleaner and lubing it up with wd-40. The sgnal loss could be because of a conflicting signal in the area. Try installing different radio crystals. It could also be caused by a damaged antenna on the truck. So definetly examine that.

Good luck.
    Land of the free?

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks!
    I know that the cause of connection failure is that the wire got broke. I just checked and it is. I believe it is brushless, but I don't know. I will definitely take a look at the engine, and see if that is the problem. I will check the manual to see if it is brushless or not.
    Thanks!!!!

The 5803 is and has always been brushed,and the tx is your choice of am,or 2.4.
    The titan 12 turn,if that motor lasted over a year,you may have a record.
    Most people have them fail in a couple month's or less,but their only $20,so you can just put in a new one,or get the brush-less up grade.
    Wow,a titan lasting that long,how much do you us it?

Oh yea in the other post for the hobby people battery,you need to look into SPC,twice the battery,at half the price.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-17-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    My motor is brushed. I will try the wd 40 w/ brushing of motor tomorrow. I went into the motor earlier today and there was quite a bit of dirt. I will try it!
    Thanks!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I used it pretty frequently actually. Until the school year started again, but I still drove it. I didn't know that they didn't last very long! I will probably get the new Ven. 60 plus mph. motor, when I save up enough!
    Thanks for your input!

RC Enthusiast
    billy-bones:
    I have the 2.4 remote...

RC Enthusiast
    Also, how can you prevent burning of the paint on the sides? Where the paint burns away and the place where it burned, become clear.

RC Champion
    On the motor?
    Land of the free?

RC Qualifier
    on the body? that's just because of rubbing and banging against parts of the truck. you can put tape or velcro over those parts. welcome to the forum
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Enthusiast
    Not on the motor... but on the sides of the shell.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks. Ok that makes sense. But its not a scratching or banging. I don't know. My friend had the same problem. I'll see if any parts are rubbing.

RC Champion
    Its probably rubbing somewhere. Or dirt is hitting it hard enough to rub off the paint.
    Land of the free?

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, thats what I thought/think.

RC Enthusiast
    I figured out that the motor is shot and that it is not the XL-5. Also I found out that the antenna was cut in half so I gotta get another one. I tried lubing the motor, wd-40, and motor cleaner, and it didn't work. After I did that I put the motor back in to it, and it acted the same. I gonna take it to HobbyTown (where I got it from) And see what they can do for me. If I'm not mistaken, they told me I could get a free replacement 60 brushless everything. Not sure, but it was either that or free install and checks for life.
    Thanks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsarethebest View Post
    I figured out that the motor is shot and that it is not the XL-5. Also I found out that the antenna was cut in half so I gotta get another one. I tried lubing the motor, wd-40, and motor cleaner, and it didn't work. After I did that I put the motor back in to it, and it acted the same. I gonna take it to HobbyTown (where I got it from) And see what they can do for me. If I'm not mistaken, they told me I could get a free replacement 60 brushless everything. Not sure, but it was either that or free install and checks for life.
    Thanks
    Don't never use wd-40 bc it's bad for the motor always use 3 in 1

RC Enthusiast
    I didn't use a lot. I actually didn't use any. I just lubed it. Thanks for the info.!

RC Enthusiast
    I used it the typical amount for 10 months, than put it into storage for the next 4 than drove it for a month than put it in storage for another 3
    Re: bill-bones