Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    355

    desert tan paint

    i need desert tan spray paint for my bug body. i cant find any lexan paint thats desert tan. i went to my lhs and they didnt have any, i looked around online for a while, and i still couldnt find any. if you guys could help me find some, that would be great!
    ummmm...this isnt what i ordered...

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    982
    Yeah, i have wanted some as well, but i am pretty sure you would only be able to find it for air brush or have to mix it. I wish they made more earth tones in rattle can, but don't think there is a high demand for them.....
    momomotorsports - Slash - PE Slash 4x4

  3. #3
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Orleans area
    Posts
    1,188
    Has anyone tried this Krylon Fusion for plastic? Plenty of colors and these large cans cost the same as those tiny hobby shop cans. You can get this stuff at walmart as well.
    http://www.thepaintstore.com/Krylon_...c_p/k02320.htm
    HARDCORR RACING

  4. #4
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Riptide Raceway Winnabow, NC
    Posts
    1,864
    Fusion won't work. Flakes off really bad. We tried the tan and green with military colors in mind. It does not stick.

    TR17
    To err is human, to arr is pirate!

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Greenwood Bashplex
    Posts
    12,408
    doesn't tamiya make them in cans? Maybe try this.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    355
    rag6- i saw that, but i dont think it will work on lexan
    ummmm...this isnt what i ordered...

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton, Ca.
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    doesn't tamiya make them in cans? Maybe try this.
    You can use this paint or any plastic model paint vs lexan paint if you use a adhesion/flex agent I use Bulldog. The paint on my Baja is gray primer plastic paint from Tamiya. Sticks good with no cracking


  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    355
    radicalray- so what you're saying is i just have to spray my body with that bulldog stuff, and then i can use that paint that rag6 found? and it wont chip?!?!
    you, sir, just made my day
    ummmm...this isnt what i ordered...

  9. #9
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    25
    I don't know, but that primed bug looks killer!

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton, Ca.
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by specialone70
    radicalray- so what you're saying is i just have to spray my body with that bulldog stuff, and then i can use that paint that rag6 found? and it wont chip?!?!
    you, sir, just made my day
    Spray on Bulldog wait till its tacky spray on your choice of Tamiya, Pactra Testors plastic paint. The bulldog will bond with the plastic paint and make it flexable and adhere to our lexan bodies when they flex. Have not tried it with Krylon Fusion so I don't know.


  11. #11
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    CONUS
    Posts
    145
    Bump any luck finding Tan lexan paint?
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    28
    Thought about using Plasti Dip? They have a camo line with the desert tan. You can just peel it off if/when you get tired of it. It holds up great and has a ton of flex to it since it dries as a rubbery product. It dries as a matte finish which I think would look great. I use it on my plastic Jeep fenders flares and it's lasted right at a year with no signs of wear. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=85028


  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    SanDiego, CA
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by Slither79 View Post
    Thought about using Plasti Dip? They have a camo line with the desert tan. You can just peel it off if/when you get tired of it. It holds up great and has a ton of flex to it since it dries as a rubbery product. It dries as a matte finish which I think would look great. I use it on my plastic Jeep fenders flares and it's lasted right at a year with no signs of wear. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=85028

    Plasti-Dip is a good, durable, flexible type of spray, I've seen people paint their whole cars w/ this stuff and bring em to car shows, think there's even a video of a guy using a high pressure washer up close trying to see if the plasti-dip would come off and it didn't, I was thinking about trying it on one of my bodies

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    28
    Yep I dipped the rims on my Jeep last year and had it on for 6 months before finally pulling it off since I bought new rims and tires.

  15. #15
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by radicalray View Post
    You can use this paint or any plastic model paint vs lexan paint if you use a adhesion/flex agent I use Bulldog. The paint on my Baja is gray primer plastic paint from Tamiya. Sticks good with no cracking

    Do you still paint the underside with the product?
    / 16

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    43
    Rustoleum might work. It takes a while to dry, but it turns out nice on car wheels, models, etc. Also do you want a textured brown... If so here's a pic.

    http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02...43_180X180.jpg



    just click on the link
    P.S They sell the paint at WAL-MART for like seven bucks a can!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •