Hybrid View

RC Competitor

Nitro Rusty cold weather carb settings?

Hi guys,

I'm having a hard time cold starting my rustler today, Was about -5degrees here in Canada.

Wondering if anyone would know a good setup. I almost had it running then my glow igniter broke!!!

Thanks

that cold you need to heat the engine up first and then wrap alum foil or put a tube sock over the cooling head to keep the temps up, heat the engine up by a blow dryer or heat gun with blow dryer for like 3-5mins heatgun for like 1-2 mins then start it up should start right up like you were running in spring time. you can read the manual as well i remember it saying something about leaning it or richen it up a little for cold weather running.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    that cold you need to heat the engine up first and then wrap alum foil or put a tube sock over the cooling head to keep the temps up, heat the engine up by a blow dryer or heat gun with blow dryer for like 3-5mins heatgun for like 1-2 mins then start it up should start right up like you were running in spring time. you can read the manual as well i remember it saying something about leaning it or richen it up a little for cold weather running.
    I've followed your advice using a heatgun bringing temps up to 240F and even putting a few drops of nitro in the carb.. Also reset carb to factory settings.. it will start up and stall.. Only way it runs is if i hold it wideopen lol. Or if I hold the EZ start wand to it..... Would old nitro fuel cause this issue?? Glow plug seems to work fine also.

RC Competitor
    Cool i'll have to try that, but now we're getting a massive snow storm here so looks like this thing will stay put and i'll go snowmobile instead lol

RC Racer
    If u lift the back end while its running on its own will it stay on?
    Jato 3.3 Pede 2.5R Rusty 3.3

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by StixXxJaTo88 View Post
    If u lift the back end while its running on its own will it stay on?
    Not even. I have to give it a bit of throttle. Was gonna take a look at my clutch and then do a complete tear down/cleaning

RC Racer
    Hmm it could be just the tune, doesnt seem like it though, are u getting fuel? U said that u put afew drops of fuel in the carb, im assuming with a full fuel tank?

Old gas can act up, but would still run....to eliminate it being gas, just grab a next bottle.

Lower ambiant temps, lower humidity, higher barametric pressure....the tune will need to be richer...all around.

RC Competitor
    yea tanks full, Tried about every setting on the carb... My next step was fresh Nitro and glow plug.. then tear down i guess.

RC Racer
    Yea try that first b4 a tear down, hows the compression?

RC Competitor
    Not sure to be honest, was working good last season though