Thread: Motor question.

RC Enthusiast

Question Motor question.

Will the Velineon brushless motor run with the XL-5 esc? Or do I need to get the VXL esc?
    English. If you can speak it, type it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slasher 555 View Post
    do I need to get the VXL esc?
    Yes. Brushless motors require a brushless speed controller.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    So if I got a better brushed would it still work?

Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slasher 555 View Post
    So if I got a better brushed would it still work?
    I recommend the Electrifly 600. You would have to solder leads onto it along with the included resistor (you can unsolder the leads from your current motor and use those). Then you need to grind a flat spot on the shaft with a dremel...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Enthusiast
    I'm thinking of converting to the Brushless 60mph motor. How much would that cost, or should I just get a new truck?

RC Champion
    You should just upgrade it. You can get a new velineon system for $130 on ebay. You can then sell your xl-5 for $30.
    Land of the free?

RC Racer
    there are many options other than the VXL (not that I'm knocking it) that you should consider:

Castle Creations - Look into the SCT combos (amain and the like will have these)
    EZRUN - Look into the EZRUN-WP-SC8 / Motor combos (try rcecho or some such HK based site)

RC Enthusiast
    Last edited by slasher 555; 03-18-2013 at 11:29 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Which one do you recommend?

RC Racer
    For a 2 wheel drive slash 2000KV is to low for typical use in my opinion - someone will be using one, but for the most part assuming you are running on 2S - 4S batteries you'll need a motor somewhere between 3000KV and 4000KV matched with an appropriate ESC - of the 2 you listed the Castle is definitely the one I'd go for, assuming you have an appropriate ESC already (you do realise that price is only the motor whereas the other (EZRUN) is motor and ESC?). As I understand it with a 2000KV motor you would need lots of power to get the speed 3S-4S, rather than 2S-3S, and with that much power you would have to upgrade almost everything - more power = more breakages (it's the RC car law )

I chose my 4000KV setup (HOBBYWING EZRUN 3656 4000KV RC Brushless Motor & WP SC8 120A ESC Combo) because that would allow me to run to 2S-3S batteries which is plenty of grunt for a 2WD slash in my opinion. (The KV limits of the ESC are 2S Lipo: KV<=6000, 3S Lipo: KV<=4000, 4S Lipo: KV<=3000).

Of course with another ESC you could maybe do better (the VXL is listed as unlimited I think) but I'd have to do more research to be comfortable running a VXL ESC on low KV high S ratings - that said I'm sure someone around here or over at URC may be able to help).

Castle's are the most popular ESC's and motors for the Slash (at least according to the survey I conducted - really!) The Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro SCT 1/10 Scale Brushless Combo w/Neu-Castle 1410 (3800kV) is about $220 and one the most popular combos.

The other thing to remember is that you have to wait for RCECHO stuff (its 2 -5 weeks for me here in the UK) and you may also get hit for tax/import duty (don't know what the tax situation is for you). I took the risk and didn't get hit for tax either time

You could also consider a combo with the TENSHOCK 401 or 411 like these:

TENSHOCK SC411

TENSHOCK SC401

The TENSHOCKS are pretty popular over here in the UK and offer plenty of power (most popular for 4x4's over here) but they do suck the power - you'll need really 50C upwards batteries.

But hey, I'm no expert (only been back into this hobby for 9 months) but I have 4 cars, have spent way too much time in forums researching and too much money. Just like everyone else here

RC Enthusiast
    I fixed the link. It is now the price for the motor and esc. I do not have a suitable esc.

RC Enthusiast
    I want to know if I should get one of these over the velineon 3500 system through the power up system for $130 plus my busted Titan 12T and XL-5.

RC Racer
    If I was you I'd go for the 3500 - doesn't it have a lifetime warranty or something (like the castles)?. But I'm not you so...

RC Champion
    Id just go with the velineon system. Its very easy for a beginner to use.
    Land of the free?

RC Competitor
    Unless you plan to race where you can't use the Velineon system, I'd get it.

RC Competitor
    I prefer a OEM replacement...my Velineon locked up and they said send it back...with the ESC. I got both replaced for free plus shipping (it back).

That and the plug and play is a winner. It has too much power for us at this point (on a track).