RC Competitor

slayer pro from a revo build

Hey all. Been wanting a slayer pro for some time. I'll be picking up a nitro revo and nation a few hours. Plans are to convert there revo to a slayer pro. I'll post so picks of the stuff when I get it tonight.

The revo has aluminum arms and stuff I'll be selling/trading for slayer parts.

Nice mate...will be watching. I built an eSlayer pro 4x4 on the BL eRevo chassis. It's probably my favourite truck.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Nice. I'll be getting it in an hour or so. Then I can get a handle on what is there.

RC Competitor
    Ok. I got al my stuff. I'll take some pics.
    I am starting off with a vantage CF chassis. New 3.3 i bought and ran 9 tanks through in my rusty. Just got a 2.5r to put back on the rusty, the 3.3 was crazy on it and I want it for the Slayer. The top traxxas shocks with all the different spring rates. an assortment of clutch bells, spur gears, tranny gears. I have a 2 speed forward only trans. new front and rear diffs. upgraded brake disk and aftermarket slipper.

Got on ebay, bought stock slayer a-arms, camber links, front and rear bumpers and mounts, the receiver/battery box. new flo-tek body, stock wheels (for now) These were all new parts lots as take offs. Should be here in the mail in a few days. I want to get it together.
    I'll go from there when I get it all together.

RC Competitor
    I have completed this last year, but never updated the thread. Let me added some pictures.

I used everything I stated above. Sold off all the Revo stuff. The bearings in the 3.3 took a crap at the end of the summer, so I got a new engine through the LHS with the power up program. But here is the start of the build. I didn't take pictures of every step, but I did take a few.

Vantage Cf Chassis with the Revo trans, forward only, and trans skid plate.

Slayer control arms, bearing carries, axles, etc.

Top view

Last edited by liquidh8; 02-28-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    Slayer Pro,Nitro Rustler,Jato,Slash 2wd,Slash 4wd.

RC Competitor
    More pics.
    Started getting it together here. New wire clips, rocker posts, etc. I am using the 2056 servo for the throttle (for now), I have since upgraded to a Futaba metal gear servo for the steering.

Some Iron cross aluminum skid plates. While the look cool, they are heavy and bend easily. I haven't changed them yet, but most likely will this season.

Aluminum P2 rockers. These may also get changed to the stockers. I just used them becasue they came with the Revo. I may be trying out some P3's so I can get rid of some of the droop. More on that later.

Last edited by liquidh8; 02-28-2014 at 02:10 PM.

RC Competitor
    More pics...
    Upgraded GTR shock Tini shafts, Variable piston kit, bought all sorts of springs to tune them with.

TRX 3.3 mounted (since been replaced with a new one).

I had to order a new mount kit to get the engine doubler plate.

Bottom shot

Last edited by liquidh8; 02-28-2014 at 02:12 PM.

RC Competitor
    More pics...

New fuel hose.

Big tank with the new hose and the Vantage CF guard.

Originally I didn't have all the right horns and link arms. I have since bought the REVO bellcrank kit with the modified stops.

Start of the Flow Tek body. ALL the vents were cut out, what a pain in the butt!

Last edited by liquidh8; 02-28-2014 at 02:18 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Great looking truck man! And yea I feel ya on that flotek. I went thro the same pain and def wasn't any fun. Lol
    MERV SV3/5700
    Slash MMP/2400
    Slayer Pro
    Spartan

RC Competitor
    Wow! Sweet rig, going to be a ton of fun!

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys. I have more pics to upload. then I'll top off the thread with the current set-up, I'll have to snap some recent pics in a few day when I get back into my garage.

Here are some right after I painted and modified the body. Running the sctock wheels when no on the track.

After running it a bit. Better wheels and tires, 12mm (If I remember), aluminum hubs. This way i can run the readily available wheels.

Messed with the springs to get it to run ok with the teckno sway bars, lowered it, limited the droop with some fuel tubing. I handles pretty good so far, less traction roll on the asphalt.

I had the REVO tranny it it first, and it hauled, wheelies were no issue! But I bought a new Slayer tranny, I have all the gear ratios for it to play around with come spring. I am running the stock gears in it.

I have to see how it handles when switching gears on the track. It pulls wicked right now on the street when banging second gear.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-02-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Thanks for going before me. I just took on making my revo 2.5 to a slayer. Quick question, is the slayer pro the 3.3 or 2.5 chassis?

Here is what i started with.

Here is what i got.

I'll post more images of where i am tomorrow.
    Last edited by ManDime; 03-02-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

RC Competitor
    The slayer pro is the blue chassis. TRX 3.3. It's not a difficult conversion. I looked around on Ebay and bought the stock suspension in a lot for cheap.

RC Champion
    Ok well traxxas makes a 2.5 chassis in blue as well. I have 2 like that.

But here's what i did today:

I put in a locking rear differential in the rear and integy hubs. I plan to just work with the 2.5 frame for now since i want to take this with me on vacation. I plan to put a locking differential in the front as well. I have read the slayer tends to jerk going into second so maybe the locking differential will minimize that. I won't be buying a sway bar kit till i get paid friday.

RC Competitor
    Ok, I didn't see the pictures on the TAPATALK app at first. As far I know know, looking at the manuals for all the trucks, the blue chassis is the long chassis, no matter 2.5 or 3.3. The silver chassis is the shorter wheelbase chassis, no matter the engine.

I think you will be good. Looks like you have most of what you need too.

RC Champion
    OK well I don't mean to be rude. I have a blue chassis plus the silver chassis that are the same length. I think with the revo, the 2.5 chassis is blue as well where as the slayer 2.5 is silver. Plus I picked up a body and the body doesn't fit on the stock revo mounts so I picked up the 3.3 chassis for $9 from dolla hobbyz. I just plan to run my revo body for now till the chassis comes in then i'll change everything out.

RC Competitor
    Mandime, no worries. You may be right that with the colors. I remember looking around before I bought the Revo, and found out that the Slayer Pro had the blue chassis, along with the wider a-arms. And the Revo was supposed to be the same. I guess since they all had the TRX 3.3, I didn't look no further.

The revo has different bumpers, battery/rx box, the servo box is a bit different, The body mounts appear to be the same, part# 5314 for the body mount set. You need the nerf bars and all too.

It appears you may have the short blue chassis then. I
    5322X Chassis, Revo 3.3 (extended 30mm) (3mm 6061-T6 aluminum) (anodized blue)
    5322 Chassis is shorter (3mm 6061-T6 aluminum) (anodized blue)
    5922 Chassis is shorter (3mm 6061-T6 aluminum) (anodized silver)

Lookie here--->

The old revo and slayer short wheelbase chassis had a wheelbase of 323mm (12.7"). This is measured from axle centerline to axle center.

The new long wheelbase revo and slayer chassis has a wheelbase of 353mm (13.9").

See if yo can use this to figure out which chassis you have.

RC Champion
    OK. It will be later tonight that I can measure that. I will take pictures of how the body fits. And can you post a picture of the nerf bars? I got both front and rear bumpers when I got the body and wheel hubs

RC Competitor
    You can see the nerf bars up in post #7 and 8. I don't think they will fit with the revo radio box and all. In your picture, it looks like you have both nerf bars.

RC Champion
    Yea I got both of those. I also have the throttle servo box and battery box for slayer. I think I might keep the battery box from my revo and just modify the nerf bars since the revo's water resistant. I just figured i'm gonna drive my truck around where I don't know if there is water or mud holes and want to protect my electronics. If I was a machinist, I would make some plastic or metal covers for those but i'm not... I'll probably finish my build Friday or Saturday, I got work and college so i'm limited on time.

RC Competitor
    There ya go. I was going to keep the revo stuff at first, but it was beat up a bit, so I just used all the slayer stuff. It didn't fit 100% with the Vantage chassis, but it was no big deal to get to work. I haven't really messed with the rc's too much over the winter, my real cars have been getting some love and money in them.

I will get out there in the next few weeks though, and update my threads with some recent pictures of all my trucks.

RC Champion
    Yea if I had the funds then ideally i'd get a jato and hop it up. But since money is limitation then converting to slayer it is. My revo has been apart for so long that I haven't ran it enough to beat it apart.

RC Champion

This is a photo for anyone curious if the blue and silver chassis' are different. 2.5 chassis' are close to 16".

Simply put: saying the silver chassis is 2.5 and the blue is 3.3 is false. The PE Revo has a silver chassis and is a 3.3; the original Revo (2.5) came with a blue chassis. The 1Gen Slayer has a silver chassis, 2Gen is blue. THE difference between the 2.5 and 3.3 chassis is the extra length between the transmission cutout and the front shock mount.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Simply put: saying the silver chassis is 2.5 and the blue is 3.3 is false. The PE Revo has a silver chassis and is a 3.3; the original Revo (2.5) came with a blue chassis. The 1Gen Slayer has a silver chassis, 2Gen is blue. THE difference between the 2.5 and 3.3 chassis is the extra length between the transmission cutout and the front shock mount.
    Double G, I realized that after posting about the colors (can't edit old posts). But, I put the part numbers up there for poeple to see.

RC Champion

Here I am finished.

RC Competitor
    Nice, the Revo body looks kinda neat on there. The slayer is a different truck than the Revo, it may take some getting used to.

RC Champion
    Yea for sure. I already broke something the day after I finished the build.... I didn't tighten the slipper clutch tight enough and it fell apart while driving destroying my air intake and the rest of the slipper clutch assembly.... More money out of my pocket....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    Yea for sure. I already broke something the day after I finished the build.... I didn't tighten the slipper clutch tight enough and it fell apart while driving destroying my air intake and the rest of the slipper clutch assembly.... More money out of my pocket....
    Ughh, that stinks. Keep an eye on ebay for stuff like that. Unless you have an LHS close. (I don't)

RC Champion
    Yea. I actually have a guy who bought out a lhs so I get my stuff from him.

RC Champion
    Do you know what tires and wheels your running on your truck? I'm turning my slain revo into a slayer pro. I got a 3 shoe clutch on the way and a sway bar kit. The only thing keeping me from being competitive are my tires. Currently I got a 20t clutch bell and metal 34t spur on the way as well for the most power to my wheels.