RC Qualifier

" RockSlash gearing upgrade " :)

Robison Racing Slipper kit with 12T pin and 18T pin 32P. This is gonna be fun

RC Qualifier
    Installed and I must say yeaaaaa buddy. Big improvement. Tried both the 12T and 18T pinions and its insane

RC Qualifier
    where and what are the improvements that u are seeing?
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    My worry would be instead of grinding teeth off of the spur gear, you may break a gear inside of your tranny. Not too expensive, but certainly more of a pain to replace. Since switching to 32p gears, I haven't had to replace a spur.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXXMASHER View Post
    My worry would be instead of grinding teeth off of the spur gear, you may break a gear inside of your tranny. Not too expensive, but certainly more of a pain to replace. Since switching to 32p gears, I haven't had to replace a spur.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    This is a problem with the Robinson system's,and indeed I have had it happen.
    You learn quick where they are advantages,and where not to run them.
    My first internal trans failure was due to a hardened spur gear, when a little pebble got stuck and bound the gears at about 25mph.
    It took out the lay shaft pin, idler,and diff outer gear,and a couple day's later,the motor bearing went.
    I should have thought to replace it when I had it apart.
    You need a closed gear cover,if you run them in certain place's,I have found them to be best on the big soft dirt oval.
    On tight sc racing they are to hard on the trans,and also your battery run time.
    At least that's my opinion.

Oh yea,now I use a Robinson idler and lay shaft gear,and FLM diff, in the trans with the Robinson spur and pinion.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-18-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    So Billy what's the next thing to look into the tranny ?

Looking at your pic's,you might want to think about axle's,I would go tekno,but that's just what I found to be the strongest for the weight.
    And strength,they have never let me down,and after what they have been thru,I couldn't complain if they did.

http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr1951x...stampede-rear/

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Billy, that will be my next upgrade my only concern with the Robison Spur setup was how much heavier in weight compared to the stock Traxxas 90T spur. Robbing me of power ? Idunno. But with the new setup she's now a wheelie queen even on those stock BFG 2.2 tires

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Looking at your pic's,you might want to think about axle's,I would go tekno,but that's just what I found to be the strongest for the weight.
    And strength,they have never let me down,and after what they have been thru,I couldn't complain if they did.

http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr1951x...stampede-rear/

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDenham View Post
    Installed and I must say yeaaaaa buddy. Big improvement. Tried both the 12T and 18T pinions and its insane

You could flip that pinion around and get better contact/wear. I also wanted to add a thought .....my experience with metal/metal spur/pinion is a busted motor shaft. CC gets about $50 for the rebuild kit so now I use 5mm shafts and plastic spur.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    You could flip that pinion around and get better contact/wear. I also wanted to add a thought .....my experience with metal/metal spur/pinion is a busted motor shaft. CC gets about $50 for the rebuild kit so now I use 5mm shafts and plastic spur.
    Ya I was thinking the samething about flipping around the pinion. My only concern is the Spur is alot heavier then the plastic spur. Hope it's not robbing me of power :-/

I have dealt with those before,if you turn the pinion around,you will have the same problem in reverse,plus it will be a pain to deal with the grub screw,the pinion is near half the thickness of the spur.
    And they will drain your battery quicker,I've said that more than once,it take's more to turn them.
    But on a track they are a defiant +.
    For just bashing,you might want to run a plastic spur,I don't bash,but often run plastic. I only use Robinson system on large semi flat track's. You need to learn how to use your throttle to balance the truck in the air.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I have dealt with those before,if you turn the pinion around,you will have the same problem in reverse,plus it will be a pain to deal with the grub screw,the pinion is near half the thickness of the spur.
    And they will drain your battery quicker,I've said that more than once,it take's more to turn them.
    But on a track they are a defiant +.
    For just bashing,you might want to run a plastic spur,I don't bash,but often run plastic. I only use Robinson system on large semi flat track's. You need to learn how to use your throttle to balance the truck in the air.

I did notice it drains the battery quicker then before with the stock 19/90 gearing. But that's why I run the SPC 6500mah 50c Lipo

RC Qualifier
    But I did some test runs with the 12T pin vs 18T. Seems both have equal off the line acceleration but the 18T does have a noticeable faster top speed. Who knows I'm gone crazy hahahahha thanks Billy