Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

My 360mm XO-1 GT8 project

Well some of you guys might have seen a couple pics here and there of my XO-1 GT8. Well I thought I would dedicate a thread for it. Today was the first day that I got to drive it. All I have to say is wow! This thing is fast. I started it out on 4s and it was so fast that I had to double check and make sure that I didn't install my 6s battery. Drove it around on 4s for a little bit and then stepped it up to 6s. I need to find a very big and smooth road or parking lot to get this thing up to speed. I ran into some glitching issues though. The Xl2 is suppose to have a 5amp bec, but I guess it still can't handle my Hitec 985mg and the esc fan at the same time. I have a Spektrum 3300T installed and that doesn't help either. I have since installed a Spektrum glitch buster but have yet to try it out again. Here are some pics.

This is the full length roller before shortening the wheelbase. I stole a bunch of parts from the Slash 4x4 to turn the XO-1 into a roller.

This is after shortening it to a 360mm wheelbase. I simply moved up the rear diff and redrilled holes in the chassis. I did this so I wouldn't have to cut the chassis.

Here it is with body installed. I also have the Kyosho GT2 Corvette body, but need to paint it.

Last edited by Sierravmax; 03-17-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Nice man, with the 360mm your XL2 seat perfectly right infront of the motor which make it a good balance distribution when strapping a 6s on the other side. your right about about running it on a big open space when strapping a 6s, it goes balistically insane lol.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    I also got to do some testing on tires. I tested the PMT super soft tires and it seemed like the Sweep Gt Exp's gripped better. Of course the PMT's are brand new and still need to break in. Also I am not very happy with the stock receiver box. This box is poorly designed. There is hardly any room in it at all. I think I might scrap the whole servo mount/receiver box in favor of some servo mounts from my T4.1 and find a better receiver box.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

what kind of reciever do you have in there? i have the 2218 traxxas reciever and it barely fit.

RC Qualifier
    I have a Spektrum SR3300T. I am planning on running telemetry eventually.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

you can chop off the reciever part and leave the servo part. as for replacing a reciever box....try the slash 4x4 LCG, its taller than the rally 1/10 which give you more room for tucking in the wires

RC Qualifier
    Well I just took it out again. It seems to glitch when it gets a good distance from me. It did seem to get better with the glitch buster though. I think I need to play around with the setup a little and work out all the bugs. Anyhow I decided to strap my phone in and use a speed app called Speedview. Using 6s and geared 20/46 I gave it a descent run and got 52mph. I then decided to let it all out and got 65mph. Lost control of it at the end of the run while breaking, but managed to stop it from hitting anything. It got too dangerous with these speeds and glitching that I packed it up. Very happy with the speeds I got for the first time. I need to do some tweaking and find a better place to run.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    Did some online studying. Looks like the glitching problem is the Spektrum sr3300t. Going to put a regular sport receiver in since I never have any problems with them.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    This is my fix for the receiver glitching. I have been using this for one of my Slash 4x4's and it has been great. It even seems like it gets better range then the original sr300.

Traxxas gone bye bye!

wow that sure is a very tiny reciever now you have plenty of room to tuck in your wires

RC Qualifier
    Yeah since that receiver is so small I was able to fit the glitch buster in the same box. Still have not been able to test it out due to work and rain. So I have been spending all my spare time working on my Rally project and playing around with my newly acquired XO-1 17mm hubs.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Champion
    When you find a good spot for speed runs, let me know. I'll bring out my full size XL2 equipped XO-1.
    Jeremy

man, i'd like to see two xo-1 with both XL2 esc but different wheelbase lenght.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I am going to end up cutting the rear of the chassis off so it wont have a tail anymore. lol I am seriously thinking about doing a 325mm one also for my Pf8 gt body. My Rally body requires a narrower track width so it would be a pain swapping the bodies between rally and Pf8 gt.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierravmax View Post
    I am seriously thinking about doing a 325mm one also for my Pf8 gt body. My Rally body requires a narrower track width so it would be a pain swapping the bodies between rally and Pf8 gt.
    if you just swap the 17mm adapters as long as you have the XO-1 stub axles you can swap around from XO-1 17mm with PF8 and then with 17mm revo on your Rally body.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-27-2013 at 07:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Well drove the car again today. I went to my parents house for Easter and decided to bring the car along. It was a big mistake. I was showing off to my brothers on the road in front of the house which had a pretty short straight and a curve on each end. First I ran it on 4s and it was very controllable. Then I swapped it to 6s and the thing got crazy. I had it wreck and roll over several times in the grass due to me not being able to stop in time after each pass. Then finally I was cruising and for some reason it went all out of control and slid right into a mailbox. Found out the the motor screws came loose and locked up the spur gear. Also I noticed the esc fan stopped working. I packed it up and brought it home later on. I just got done looking at and I broke a blade on the fan and it was lodged up in the housing. I was able to remove it and then the fan started working. I am amazed though that I didn't break anything else. It did take some pretty good hits. For now on I am just leaving it on 4s when bashing and then 6s for speed runs where it is safe.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    Oh and the receiver I have in it now fixed all the glitching issues. I was amazed on how far it would go. Didn't lose signal at all. Also does anyone know how to fully remove the fan from the Xl2? Does it just pop through the top or do you have to take that greenish transparent piece off?
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    Oh and the receiver I have in it now fixed all the glitching issues. I was amazed on how far it would go. Didn't lose signal at all. Also does anyone know how to fully remove the fan from the Xl2? Does it just pop through the top or do you have to take that greenish transparent piece off?
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Champion
    When we gonna do speed runs?
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    When we gonna do speed runs?
    Not sure. With how work and the weather has been lately I was lucky to get some drive time yesterday.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    Just picked up two of these. Can't wait to try these out and compare them to my other packs.
    http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=141
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

Just picked up two of these. Can't wait to try these out and compare them to my other packs.
    getting ready for 8s run?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    getting ready for 8s run?
    That is a little ways off. Need to gear up and find a good place to run and get comfortable with 6s first. But I did order this just to have it. http://castlecreations.com/products/...s_harness.html It is the best one I can find and has 10 gauge wire. All the other ones had 12gauge.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

good thing i have a MMM ESC from ERBE, if i want it to single batt connector, all i have to do is remove the middle wire.

RC Champion
    That's a pretty good price on those. Let us know how they hold up.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Went to the local Hobbytown racing meet today and brought the XO-1 GT8 and my Ofna Dm1 E along. Boy was I really impressed with XO-1. It was handling the track great. It was one of the fastest 1/8 scale cars out there minus the DM-1. I was running almost bald Sweep Gt Exp 50's and they were causing my car to traction hop when hitting the brakes. Planning on buying some more Sweeps for my Dm-1 because it didn't seem like the Pmt tires were gripping as well. The only thing that was bad about it all was that I really tore up the Kyosho body. I need to see if I can get a body from the Team C Gt8L and use that to race with.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    That's a pretty good price on those. Let us know how they hold up.
    Today was the first time I used them. They seem to be pretty good. I could run them forever before they even got close to LVC due to being 6500mah. I just noticed though that they raised price by $5 though. You have to be really sneaky when trying to buy them when they get in stock. They are flying right out the door.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

Went to the local Hobbytown racing meet today and brought the XO-1 GT8 and my Ofna Dm1 E along. Boy was I really impressed with XO-1. It was handling the track great. It was one of the fastest 1/8 scale cars out there minus the DM-1. I was running almost bald Sweep Gt Exp 50's and they were causing my car to traction hop when hitting the brakes. Planning on buying some more Sweeps for my Dm-1 because it didn't seem like the Pmt tires were gripping as well. The only thing that was bad about it all was that I really tore up the Kyosho body. I need to see if I can get a body from the Team C Gt8L and use that to race with.
    thats great you got your Xo-1 dialed in at the track. how do you compare the DM1 with your 360mm XO on the track?

RC Qualifier
    Well the XO-1 was doing slightly better. But the XO-1's tires were gripping better. I was running the Dm-1 as it was setup from coming out of the box. Also I just realized that I stripped a rear wheel on my Dm-1 so that might account for it getting to squirrely in turns. Going to do some repairs and and upgrade the 17mm nuts and hopefully go back out next weekend.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

i find my Rally GT8 much lighter than my 325mm XO and now that my Rally GT8 equipped with Xo-1 diffuser it handles much better than my XO. i'm in the procces of redesigning my 325mm XO-1 chassis now to lightened it a bit.

RC Qualifier
    My hobby room. XO-1 in front, then DM-1, and my Traxxas Rally with SSC chassis and of course all my dirt R/C's in the background.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Champion
    I may have found a good spot for speed runs. Gonna try to check it out today and I'll let you know.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    goodluck finding the teamC body , ive searched high and low for it and no one seems to stock it now , then ofna ended up purchasing or partnering up with them now so they only have the gt2 size body but I cant find just the shell only way is to buy the car itself . Ive been looking for kyosho gt1 bodies for a while because they look so scale compared to other bodies but its sad to race on the track , also they are like finding a needle in a haystack . found some guy in idaho who had 3 kyosho ferrari f430 clear unpainted , i ended up paying $135 a piece for them and ended up selling 2 of them for over $500 lol some guy actually paid me $265 for one each I just scored a clear aston martin DB9R body GT1 paid 125 shipped for it , its a shame they dont make the bodies anymore , they retailed for under $60 now people are asking $125+ for a lexan body .
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

i dont even know if i want to proceed building my 360mm XO-1 now, since finding a 360mm wheelbase body are very rare and if you do find it they cost a fortune i might have to stick with 325mm for now.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah and also the Kyosho bodies are not very durable. This thing has not been ran that much and the body is just coming apart. There are some options though. I think Ipanema makes a 360mm body. Also I believe Team C is coming out with a body, but I am not sure if I like the look.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    I ended up patching my Kyosho body and went racing again today. This XO-1 gt8 just owns the track. My DM-1 is having a hard time getting rear grip though. I tried to race the DM-1 first and got lapped 3 times by a Kyosho GT V2 due to me spinning out a lot on curves. Then I brought out the XO-1 and it just ruled. I ended up beating Kyosho GT V2 on the last race. People can't believe that I am actually racing with a XO-1 and doing good.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    thats pretty fun , last year when I got mine I tried running it at the track , my buddies dm1 would smoke me on the corners but Id catch up on the straights with the bigblock .always wished it was a 1/8 scale so I could run the track with all those gt8's and be like yea its a Traxxas lol ..

I think that warrior body by ipanema sold at brucknerhobbies should be pretty good for the track , from a vid i seen on youtube some guy actually got faster speeds <hi speeds, not sure about track> then the mclearen body style .

I just set my gt8 car all up , carbon fibered out , custom fans , with a castle 2650 it was ripping , then some lady in a caddilac just happen to cross its path lol. I can only imagine how much of a beast this would be with big block on 6s on the track , come to think it would prob have too much power and result in the rear end giving out . that would happen to me last year .

Have you tried playing with the camber on the DM1 i heard that can help out

I want to build one of these badly now , just dont got the time to buy all the peices and do the labor lol
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

i wonder what my 325mm wheelbase can do on the track, being that its shorter its probably quick on any turns lol. i'm selling my first chassis now and making more on the way with my newer design.
    great job on beating other GT8 with your XO-1 on the track by the way

RC Enthusiast
    I smell a challenge!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyG6 View Post
    thats pretty fun , last year when I got mine I tried running it at the track , my buddies dm1 would smoke me on the corners but Id catch up on the straights with the bigblock .always wished it was a 1/8 scale so I could run the track with all those gt8's and be like yea its a Traxxas lol ..

I think that warrior body by ipanema sold at brucknerhobbies should be pretty good for the track , from a vid i seen on youtube some guy actually got faster speeds <hi speeds, not sure about track> then the mclearen body style .

I just set my gt8 car all up , carbon fibered out , custom fans , with a castle 2650 it was ripping , then some lady in a caddilac just happen to cross its path lol. I can only imagine how much of a beast this would be with big block on 6s on the track , come to think it would prob have too much power and result in the rear end giving out . that would happen to me last year .

Have you tried playing with the camber on the DM1 i heard that can help out

I want to build one of these badly now , just dont got the time to buy all the peices and do the labor lol
    Yeah I have been playing with the DM-1's setup a little at a time. It turns in just fine, but when I am leaving the turns it will spin out. I just installed stiffer front springs. I am about to order new diff and shock fluids for it. Also I am going to change from the Grp's I am running now to Sweeps. I am running Sweeps on the XO-1 and that thing is hooked.

Man sorry to hear about your car. I think I saw you post a picture of it on another forum. Here is a pic of my Dm-1.
    Last edited by Sierravmax; 04-22-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    Traxxas gone bye bye!