RC Enthusiast

Sledge won't turn

Help my 1990 sledgehammer all of the sudden won't turn,and it won't run(forward and reverse) while the servo is plugged in.So I got a new servo(traxxas 2055)and same problem!what else do I need to replace ,the receiver?

RC Qualifier
    Most likely the rx is bad is there another port to plug into, or do you have the 27mhz am model?

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Enthusiast
    It's the original early1989-90 model 2001-r and it doesn't make a difference which port you try,you still get the same results.Nothing I have tried will make either servo work,and as long as the servo is plugged in ,nothing works

RC Champion
    your rx is at fault here i would reckon.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Champion
    I'd have to agree on the RX being the culprit there. Also you might try switching out your crystals in the RX-TX.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Enthusiast
    This is the only old r/c I have so I don't have any other crystals,is there any problems using a traxxas 2019 rx?looks to be the same size and mounting holes

RC Champion
    2019 will work fine.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Enthusiast
    Ok guys the NEW 2019 doesn't change ANYTHING!!!!!!!
    I am going for a new xl-1 esc next,
    I know the motor works ,the battery works,and all of the wires and connections are good(the thing worked flawless 1 month ago!
    but what about the crystals? Do they go bad?
    I thought I would spruce up the old girl but this is getting expensive!!!!!!!!!!

Crystals do go bad. You can get cheap 2.4 radios and cheap brush Esc off eBay or the Chinese online retailers. What is it flysky something haha
    Powered by Tekin. Go Tekin or go home.

RC Enthusiast
    But would this(crystals) cause the problem I am having?I would think...if the crystals were bad,it wouldn't do anything.

RC Qualifier
    You are correct in assuming that if the crystals were bad you wouldn't get anything. Sometimes I've read about a ton of glitching due to crystals being bad also but never had any issues like this myself. but to me it sounds like the others said that its the rx. You can get a flysky tx/rx combo for like $20 shipped and you'd have 2.4 instead of the old school radio so no chance of interference.

So if you unplug the steering servo you can throttle forward/reverse?

If you unplug the motor part do you have steering?

I'm assuming you are using an xl1 or similar then and not a mechanical speed control...

Todd
    Peace and Professionalism.....Kabunga signing off!

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks todd yes I have trottle with servo unplugged,if I unplug the motor,nothing works,and yes it is the original xl-1 speed control,the only thing is ,with a fresh battery,sometimes it runs(wheels spinning) like it's about dead and the next time it will go flat out(while trying to get the servo to work)new xl-1 is on the way.
    I guess if nothing else,I will end up with all new electronics!Still won't keep up with my 4pede!

RC Qualifier
    still sounds like a rx but without it being in front of me(as to alot of us) its hard to troubleshoot something like that. Yep, you should have mostly all new electronics in it by the time your done which isn't always a bad thing .

Are you tryin to keep it original hence going with a new xl1?

Either way let us know what you end up doin to get rid of the issue...enquiring minds wanna know

Todd

RC Enthusiast
    I will do that,and yes so far everything I have replaced fits with out any mods,and that's why I went with the xl-1.The motor will be the only original piece but that's any easy change later.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok for those interested,the new traxxas xl-1 came yesterday,I installed it last night...and everything works!!!!!!right away when I turned it on the motor ran and SERVO twitched as they should!

RC Champion
    Cool man, Glad to hear you got it straightened out.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Qualifier
    Cool. Sounds like you got your sledgehammer back in action for the time being again.

Todd