Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

'Genuine' Castle Firmware on Traxxas or other re-branded Castle ESCs

Finally, I managed to find a way to flash 'genuine' Castle firmware to Traxxas and other re-branded versions of castle controllers. The decryption of the SQLite file is not necessary, it is actually possible with an older version of the Castle Link software which still uses an MS Access database.

Currently, it should work with the following controllers:

- Traxxas Mamba Monster Extreme Firmware V1.34 (XO-1)
    - HPI Blur Firmware V1.24 (re-badged Mamba Monster, HPI Savage)
    - Traxxas ET-3S Firmware V1.32 (probably re-badged Mamba Max Pro, Traxxas Funny Car)

So far I have flashed two Traxxas Mamba Monster Extreme controllers and one HPI Blur to Castle Mamba Monster Firmware V1.46 without problems.

Please somebody try it with the ET-3S (should be a 6S capable MMP then).
    I think it should be possible to flash other Castle-based controllers also.

Howto:
    ------

Things you need:

1. Castle Link Software V3.40.0 from Castle:
    http://castlecreations.com/downloads...all_3.40.0.exe

1. Latest Castle Link Software (3.56.17 as of now) from Castle:
    http://castlecreations.com/downloads...ll_3.56.17.exe

2. Modifed settings.mdb file:
    http://filestore.to/?d=H7SYXKMOOL

Steps:

1. If you have a Traxxas controller, make sure that Live Link is disabled
    and that it's 100mph unlocked (XO-1 version)

2. De-install any previously installed Castle Link Software

3. Install Castle Link Software V3.40.0

4. Replace settings.mdb file with modified settings.mdb file
    Usually located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Castle Creations\Castle Link

4. Start Castle Link software
    You should only see the about and the Software Tab.
    Do not use any function other than firmware update!

5. Go to Software Tab and flash any firmware you like.

6. Exit Castle Link Software

7. De-Install Castle Link Software

8. Make sure that "C:\Program Files (x86)\Castle Creations\Castle Link folder" is empty

9. Install latest Castle Link Software

10. Flash latest firmware

Now you have a genuine Castle controller with the latest available firmware on it!

Wow! That's awesome! Thanks for sharing! I wonder if any one can confirm if the hacked ET-3s can use 6s?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Word on the forums is, that it's just a software limitation. If I had one, I would check if the capacitors on it are 35V types and if yes, go for it

RC Enthusiast
    Awsome!! ...i will bookmark this,..thanks for sharing!

RC Qualifier
    any updates on the et-3s? lets get atleast 4s

RC Competitor
    Sorry, don't have any reports yet about the ET-3s.

I just noticed the link to the settings file expired.

Here are two new links (both same file, just different filehoster)
    http://filestore.to/?d=GF6EVM9OLN
    http://ul.to/m90kil5l

RC poster
    did as instructed on my et3s running firmware 1.46 now. I don't have any batteries higher than 3s to test though.

RC poster
    I got it to arm on 6s. If anyone has ever been stuck in staging mode like I was(gutless). This hack unlocks the torque limiter option which can then be disabled. Now mine works perfectly with my crawler motor with a sensor cable.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    What benefit would I see to doing this on my mamba monster extreme?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC poster
    I am needing help with downloading the File. Im trying to do this to my et3s. Any help would be appreciated.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardXO-1 View Post
    Word on the forums is, that it's just a software limitation. If I had one, I would check if the capacitors on it are 35V types and if yes, go for it
    +1 my only concern on the et-3s is the cap voltage rating, specifically the one on the power leads. I would bet the internal caps are the same as the MMP, but the power lead caps are only on the ET-3s. The voltage level may not be high enough for 4s-6s operation.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    +1 my only concern on the et-3s is the cap voltage rating, specifically the one on the power leads. I would bet the internal caps are the same as the MMP, but the power lead caps are only on the ET-3s. The voltage level may not be high enough for 4s-6s operation.
    Just remove the cap on the power leads. Its only purpose is to eliminate spark when plugging your battery in since there is no on/off switch. I removed mine the day I got it and have had no issues. I am however not able to get his file for the modified settings to download.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for reporting success here, Nicolasmj.

goatn, Here is another mirror:
    http://www.traxxas.com.ar/castle/settings.zip

I would not remove the extra capacitors on the wires, instead add some additional ones. When running a controller near it's limits some extra caps are always a good idea.

Generally, one should be aware that you need to keep currents within reasonable range when running 6s on such a small ESC. I guess you would need a motor with a fairly low kV (1600-2000 maybe) but still reasonably small (36mm diameter, about 60mm length) to get a healthy and efficient setup with 6s and the MMP.

mwe-maxxowner:
    Castle has fixed the cogging issue with firmware 1.45, and also did some reliability improvements like these:
    Bug fix: Output power could jump inappropriately when motor is having difficulty starting. Could result in ESC damage.
    Bug Fix: Throttle glitch could cause excess stress on esc.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Thanks! I think I might try my mm extreme. Is there any danger in harming the ESC in this process? Also might try to pick up an et-3s.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC poster
    could someone please rehost the Modifed settings.mdb file please.

RC Competitor
    RavenLS1:
    The last link I have posted and the ul.to link should work.

mwe-maxxowner:
    Yes, there is the general risk of turning your ESC into a paperweight if something goes wrong (your computer or the Castlelink program crashes during the upgrade for example). But that is the risk associated with any firmware upgrade, no matter what type of device.

RC Qualifier
    Can anyone verify that the et3s can be used with more than 3s lipos
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That's my site, free and no bandwidth issues... PM me and let me know if you need to upload a new file, I have no problem in hosting files like this... I'm uploading the Castle software too now...
    Last edited by danielhr77; 03-11-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC poster
    I bought a new XO-1, and I'll be using my Airtronics MT4 remote, I have not started the car yet since I'm waiting on lipo's. Do I have to go thru all the process shown above? or can I just plug the ESC to my laptop and run the castle firmware

RC poster
    Thanks for reporting success here, Nicolasmj.

goatn, Here is another mirror:
    http://www.traxxas.com.ar/castle/settings.zip

I would not remove the extra capacitors on the wires, instead add some additional ones. When running a controller near it's limits some extra caps are always a good idea.

Generally, one should be aware that you need to keep currents within reasonable range when running 6s on such a small ESC. I guess you would need a motor with a fairly low kV (1600-2000 maybe) but still reasonably small (36mm diameter, about 60mm length) to get a healthy and efficient setup with 6s and the MMP.

mwe-maxxowner:
    Castle has fixed the cogging issue with firmware 1.45, and also did some reliability improvements like these:
    Bug fix: Output power could jump inappropriately when motor is having difficulty starting. Could result in ESC damage.
    Bug Fix: Throttle glitch could cause excess stress on esc.
    Thanks, I will give it another try tonight and report back!

RC poster
    For whatever reason, this will not work for me. I download the 3.4 version of castle, I download the settings file. I replace the standard settings with the modified one and open castle link. It tells me that there are newer versions. I click no when it asked if I would like to update then it flashes up an invalid controller. Thats it. The only tab that is on my castle link is the "about" tab. oh,and I am trying to do this for a et3s esc.
    Last edited by goatn; 03-11-2014 at 04:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by goatn View Post
    For whatever reason, this will not work for me. I download the 3.4 version of castle, I download the settings file. I replace the standard settings with the modified one and open castle link. It tells me that there are newer versions. I click no when it asked if I would like to update then it flashes up an invalid controller. Thats it. The only tab that is on my castle link is the "about" tab. oh,and I am trying to do this for a et3s esc.
    Oh man that's a bummer. If you keep trying let us know if you have succes ! Because I have a et3s too

Man that's too bad. Let us know if you get it to work. Also, if any one else gets it to work for a ET-3s please chime in.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    goatn:
    Maybe your controller has another firmware version than 1.32, it's only working for 1.32 with the settings file I made.
    What makes me wonder is that it first says there is a new version available. Are you sure it did say that for the controller firmware version? Maybe it wanted to update your CastleLink and not the controller (?)

I need the "ID" of the controller firmware, to obtain it, please do the following:
    Use CastleLink Software 3.40 with the original Castle settings file and connect the ESC.
    CastleLink should give you an error message that the controller is not supported and an ID like "TM01132" in parentheses after that.

danielhr77:
    Thanks for hosting the file again

YamilR:
    If you just want to run an aftermarket radio, you only need to unlock the ESC so that it will allow speeds above 50mph (using the Traxxas radio) and then disable the Castle Link Live feature with the standard Castlelink software. No need to flash firmware.

RC poster
    OK, both of my controllers are on version 1.33, which makes sense why it's not working. It does not give me the option to revert back to the 1.32 firmware.
    So, as soon as I get to work I will download castle 3.4 and get you the number it gives me.
    Thanks for all the help!

RC poster
    Ok, Here is what I got after downloading the 3.4v of castle link.
    "There is a newer version of castle link available. If you choose to update to the new version, castle link will be closed and you will be redirected to our webpage"

Then I connect my esc and this message pops up.
    " the device connected is either not a castle creations controller or may have software on it that is newer than the software on your computer"
    The code it gives me is (TM01133)
    I hope this helps and you can get this figured out, as I am very anxious to try this.
    Thanks again, for all your efforts!!

RC Competitor
    Okay I think I have got it now.

Try this settings file with the ID for the ET-3S FW 1.33 included.
    http://filestore.to/?d=FOB43VH4Z5

It should give you firmwares from 1.21 to 1.32 to choose from. Downgrade to 1.32 first and after that you should be able to use the latest Castlelink to upgrade to higher versions.

RC poster
    Awesome!
    Will give it a try

RC poster
    IT WORKED!!! Im currently on 1.46v

RC Competitor
    cool

danielhr77: Could you host the updated settings file again? The filestore mirror doesnt work for long.

Digged through the settings file some more. After Goatn's success I am pretty much positive now that it can be done with almost all castle-based controllers.

Here is a List with the controllers that most likely will be upgradeable too:
    Axial AE-2 (F330C)
    Axial Vanguard
    Axial Vanguard (F541V6)

Duratrax Element (F541)
    Duratrax Element (F541V6)

HPI Motiv (F310C)
    HPI Blur (F310C)
    HPI Blur (F360C)
    HPI Vapor (F541)
    HPI Vapor (F541V6)
    HPI Vapor Pro (F541)
    HPI Vapor Pro (F541V6)
    HPI Qbase (F360C)
    HPI Brushed (F330C)

Losi MSC-MXPRO (F360C)

Traxxas Mamba Monster (F360C)
    Traxxas Mamba Max Pro (F360C)
    Traxxas Marine (F541)
    Traxxas Spartan (F541V6)
    Last edited by LizardXO-1; 03-13-2014 at 09:09 AM.

RC Qualifier
    IT WORKED!!! Im currently on 1.46v
    does it work with 4s???

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyX3s View Post
    does it work with 4s???
    It will work on 6s

RC Champion
    Great news. Thanks to all. Time to buy a esc. Lol
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Competitor
    New mirror for the latest settings file with ET-3s v1.33 support:
    http://ul.to/u081hui4

RC poster
    Thank you so much!!! I got MMP version 1.46 on my et-3s. It recognizes it as a MMP when I open Castle link

Awesome thread!
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Qualifier
    Im gonna have to give this a try.

RC Enthusiast
    I am willing to bet that the Phoenix Edge 160 HV 50V 160A ESC and the xl-2 are the same controller with diffrent firmware . You think this can be done to this countroller ?

RC Champion
    ^ now that would be sweet...
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC poster
    Lizard, any way to assist with my Losi MSC-MXPRO issues? I'm getting the same messages as Goatn...my parenthesis ID in the message is ('LP01139'). I cannot remember which software is currently on it, I do know it's NOT the v1.32 as I didn't know to keep it before updating to the updated Losi one?

Thanks in advance!