RC Competitor

Unhappy Mounting Tires Gone Wrong!!

So I tried my hand at mounting tires this week... and I failed. I bought a 6 traxxas split six wheels and 4 proline switch tires with the closed foam inserts for $35 shipped to my house. Awesome grip on these things by the way. Anyways after they dried I tossed them on and gave it a test run. When I got back, to my dismay, one tire had come entirely unglued and the outward face, and partially unglued on the inside. I inspected the others and two had come partially unglued and one was okay. The two rears had come off the worst. I also noticed that the tires foam had somehow deformed. (I have pictures to explain this)
    So what did I do wrong? I made sure that the foam was in correctly (I didn't cut off and angle because I haven't seen it done on thee smaller blue foams) and I used quite a bit of glue.
    So what was my noob mistake?
    OH i aslo gorilla taped the inside of the tire.

Last edited by Blackgt1; 03-16-2013 at 03:24 PM.

RC Competitor
    I apparently can't load pictures through flickr?

RC Racer
    did you clean and scuff the rims and tires?

RC Competitor
    I forgot the scuffing yes :/
    What kind of glue do you use? Ive had people tell me to use super glue.

RC Competitor
    And what explains the deformation towards the 3.0 side of the wheel?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Use aka tire glue. I have not found better in all the years I have been doing this stuff. You also need to clean the tires of the release agent left on there from the molding process. Yup, also scuff the rims.

The reason that foams are deformed, is because traxxas sc rims are different than the rest of the industry:

Traxxas

Everyone else:

See the difference?
    Your foams were made to fit rims like the second pic.
    I think someone makes foam inserts that take up the extra space that the the traxxas rims leave. It may be traxxas but not sure.

The second type of rim is also much better for performance as they support the outside sidewall much better reducing tire fold-over in hard cornering.
    If I were in your predicament, I would bake those tires off, clean em up, get some comp rims and start over.

EDIT:
    My hobbytown stocks the aka tire glue, so yours should be able to get it if they dont stock it. Stay away from that generic stuff.
    Last edited by rag6; 03-16-2013 at 04:14 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

It was brought to my attention not long ago,that if you use the stock Traxxas rim,you must use the stock Traxxas foam.
    It looks like that's what is wrong with your tire deformation,and imo that could have left inadequate support for the tire on the 2.2 side were it ripped.
    That's just an opinion.

Sorry bout that rag6,your post wasn't there when I started typing,but your explanation was better anyway.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-16-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    I figured that the foams were the issue. It was just weird that one was perfect while the rest were all lopsided. I just really liked that style of rim, it looks great on my truck.
    @rag6 I did a bit of research on my own and figured that the rim design and the foam was the problem. I just wanted other input.
    I guess its time to go buy some proline rims. Are the beadlocs really worth the money if I dont plan on changing the tires?
    @Billy-bones: lucky me it didn't rip, just came unglued.

Imo the bead locks are great,just use them with pro line tires.
    The inside of the tire has a bead the fits the pl bead lock rim's.

RC Competitor
    See I like them... but the regular split six's are soo cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Blackgt1 View Post
    See I like them... but the regular split six's are soo cheap
    At first,but when you can keep buying tires with out rims,it really save's you money in the long run.Their 20 buck's for two here,but I have put multiple set's of tires on them.Glued tires for the most part,I just toss the rim's with the tires.
    I'm just to lazy to take them off the rims.
    And I can mount a set of bead locks and go in ten minutes.

RC Competitor

should help

try letting the tires sit over night a always do

RC Competitor
    They are $25 where I'm at :/
    I guess I'll make my decision based on price and availability.
    and this is cutting into my brushless setup money.

RC Qualifier
    Well the first thing I see is traxxas wheels have a different bead than the prolines. I've even seen warnings on fitment issues in various places when I order new tires. Scuffing is second no adhesive or paint bods well without scuffing.
    My wife hates it but I love It.

RC Enthusiast
    Super Glue works great. I would try another tire glue first, but if that doesn't work, just try/use the super glue.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsarethebest View Post
    Super Glue works great. I would try another tire glue first, but if that doesn't work, just try/use the super glue.
    +1 I have always used super glue on my street tires, it isnt the prettiest once its dried, but it works better than most CA glues
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Racer
    the active ingredient in "Super Glues" and "tyre glues" is CA, or Cyanoacrylate, its the same stuff in a different bottle.

Personally I have used both "Gorilla Super Glue" and "RB Products Tyre Glue". The best stuff was the "proper" tyre glue - they key being it's thinner. Proper seating and drying time are important in getting a good bond.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try out Team Associated CA glue for now. I boiled off a tire today. Tire is still covered in the glue and the rims (except some tarnish in the chrome finish) is good to go. But the blue closed foam had three slits in it.
    One is rather deep and the other two about 1/2 way through. Are these still good?

RC Racer
    AKA tire glue is all I have used. The only tire to come un-mounted for me is one of the proline street fighters and thats because the rubber split and was still stuck to the rim. GREAT glue.

RC poster
    Just an FYI, I didnt see anyone mention it. With new tires you should always wash the tires really well with liquid dish soap to remove any remnants of mold release that is almost always presant on new tires. Rinse and dry them off and you should be ready to glue. I also scuff all my rims a little and wash them too.

RC Champion
    I prefer the fast setting glue, the one you have is the slow setting glue, I was given that the first time I bought wheels and tires and didn't like it, went to the fast setting clear glue.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Competitor
    How long did you let them dry?
    Traxxas Slash 2wd Vxl

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I let them dry an hour an yank on them a bit to see if I missed any spots.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

i had slow setting glue like yours the first set of tires i did. to be honest i was affraid to use them the next day still. but then i discovered aka tire glue. i had a giant rip in one of my tires that i was litterly able to glue back together with this stuff! just glued up a new set of tires as well. but just to be safe i would always allow atleast overnight for the dry time. probly not necessary with the aka glue, but i would rather be safe then sorry. i do tug on them after an hour to make sure i didnt miss a spot though. as far as prep i honestly have never gone through and scuffed the rims myself. i just thuroghly wipe down the tire and rim with rubbing alcohol and ive never had one come unglued yet.

by the way................... the aka tire glue is so awesome that your supposed to keep it refrigerated lol
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Imo the bead locks are great,just use them with pro line tires.
    The inside of the tire has a bead the fits the pl bead lock rim's.
    Billy, how well do they work with brushless/li-po power?

RC Racer
    I know you asked Billy the question but I have proline beadlocks and have no problem's other than my first time mounting. My first mount was a bit off and after that I have had no problems whatsoever. Its quite easy. I can warn you of this...proline beadlocks 2.2/3.0 need proline tires. They don't play well with other brands, so if your track has a certain brand or type that is not proline you have to find the proline equivalent or similar.

I have a VXL sytem and use various 2s lipos.

I cant comment from a race perspective. And have read some posts complaining of the added weight of the beadlocks.

Quote Originally Posted by mepster View Post
    Billy, how well do they work with brushless/li-po power?
    I cant add much more then NP said,and agree with it all.
    I tried the on 3s once,that was just to see if they would hold so I could say yea,or nay when asked.
    They did.
    As far as racing,I run 98% on semi loss dirt with out issue,they are a bit heavy,but the advantages out way the negatives for me,and every one I race with,as they too use pl bead locks.
    And to repeat what NP said,use them with pl tires,take your time mounting them till you get it down,and they should give you problem free run time.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Next Perse & Billy! Sounds great, I don't race unless you call feeding my nephew a steady diet of taillights racing So I'm not worried about a little extra weight, and I'm a fan of beadlocks in general.