RC Enthusiast

Nitro Slash Review #3

I am having so much fun with my Traxxas Slash... Probably to much! I broke my first part this weekend, and am really upset about the trouble I'm having to go through in order to just get a new part!!!! But I will get back to that.

The truck now has Big Bore Shocks(40Weight), Tuned pipe, STI control arms front and back, new control arm mounts in the back, new tires and wheels, new 72 teeth slipper clutch, and new bearings in the clutch. The truck has been driving great, it really sticks in the turns now, it handles whoops and bumps better. Overall it drives a lot smoother. In my older post I talked about the truck doing flips at high speeds. Well I added weight to the front and it does fine now!

The truck really has performed well, a T-Maxx 3.3 was have a very difficult time keeping up with me this weekend on the track. We think its because the T-Maxx has 4 wheel drive and he kept over/steering on the turns. Where I could really power down on the turns and just watch the truck go in and out of the turn very fast and so smooth!! The T-Maxx Driver was fairly new to his defense !!

So now about this part I broke...... I still don't know how I broke the part, but the brake disc just fell off the truck some how. I was driving it and all the sudden my wheels locked up and I took it apart and part# 4464 (the center part of the brake) was missing. So I went to the R/C Outlet, a huge R/C store and they are on back order for the part!!! So I checked out 3 other hobby stores and they are also all on back order on this part from Traxxas. So I am going to call Traxxas tomorrow and see if I can get something worked out..... Will keep you updated on what happens!!! One of the main reasons why I bought Traxxas was because I have heard about how great their support team is. So hopefully they will find a way to get me this part.

But other than that I am still enjoying my new purchase, I've had it for over a month now and it is still holding up to my beating!

One last thing!! I am going to the Apple store soon to find out how to post pictures on this website from a mac book pro!!!! So I should have pictures soon!!!

Thanks,
    Connor D

RC Enthusiast
    Well,it sounds like you are putting on all the right parts to get the full potential out of this truck. It's funny how everyone said this truck would be very difficult to drive but when coupled with the right parts its a blast. Not sure what to say about your brake problem..... I haven't had any problems with mine yet. Hopefully Traxxas will get the part to ya soon. One thing I didn't see in your build up was hardened pins (A arms/ Hubs ect.....) a must because I have destroyed half of them in one day lol..... Hopefully I will complete mine by this weekend and get some track time with the new setup.
    Thx,Don

RC Enthusiast
    Yes I am!!! And I totally agree with you, so many people were trash talking this truck before it even came out. But it is a great truck!!! I'm convinced that it can beat the slayer (with the upgrades haha) in a race because of the gearing and the loss of weight due to it being only 2 wheel drive!! And I called Traxxas today and they don't even have the part!! But they told me that once they get one they will ship it to me free of charge!! Very Happy about that....... But who knows how long it will be, he said any where from a couple of days to a couple of weeks!!! But in the mean time i'll just clean it up! haha And I do have hardened pins, and A-Arms(for some reason I put "control arms in the review" no hubs yet..... But ill probably get those soon!

Im excited to hear how your upgrade goes!! Good Luck!!

Thanks,
    Connor D
    Last edited by NitroPower03; 03-11-2013 at 09:06 PM.

RC poster
    I just bought two Slayer Pro's because they were 4X4. And I only paid $350 for each of them. How much did you pay for your Nitro Slash? What Radio came with it? I've been watching ebay and right now they are $385-$400 with Free Shipping. If I get a good deal on one I will but the Nitro Slash. Just so I can see for myself and compare the two. Thanks And glad you like it and are having fun.

RC Enthusiast
    I got mine for around 380 with tax at a place called RC outlet, its a huge RC warehouse that sells to hobby worlds.. I almost got the Slayer but I wanted a simpler 2 wheel drive truck haha, less parts and less stuff to break in 2 wheel drives... A comparison of the two should be interesting. My friend has the T-Maxx 3.3 4X4 and his is awesome to drive. I have noticed a big deference b/t the 2WD and 4WD is that when you over steer a turn with a 2WD you most likely will just spin out. And with the 4WD sense all 4 wheels are turning you are more likely to flip. But thats just up to the driver to make adjustment is his driving technique. But I hope you find a good deal on a slash they are fun trucks! And good luck with your slayer... I might have to get one as well haha

RC poster
    Thanks for a fast response. I'm going to start looking around for one. Thanks for the info and take care.