Thread: Drive Shaft

RC Racer

Drive Shaft

Think I may have a bent drive shaft. If I take it out and roll it on the counter it seems to have a slight bow in it. It broke of the front of my center diff and now with the slipper it makes a loud nose when running.
    What issues have you seen from a bent drive shaft?

RC Champion
    I think the slipper is pushing on the rear gear creating the noise from the rear differential.

Easy way to tell.....put the rear end together, mount it to the car, take off the inspection plate and see if you can wiggle the spur gear to the front and rear. if its too tight, its more than likely pushing too hard on the rear gear.

you can either shim the rear ring gear in the housing or sand down your slipper pads to create the space needed.

RC Racer
    I did recently change the diff fluid in the truck. The rear diff had no grease in the case but, the front had a hand full. I did not add any when I put it back togeather. Guess this could be the nose too. What do you think? Still think shaft is bent a bit.

RC Enthusiast
    what type of grease is used in the diffs and where can i get it?asking because i want to pull mine apart and change.what weight etc should i use ...is this grease any diffrent from regular mechanic grease for my regular car i can by from my local auto parts store...

RC Racer
    Inside the diff (not the case) I used Losi diff fluid. 5,000F, 5,000C, 3,000R. Inside the diff houseing to me it just looked like black mechanic grease. Dont' care for my set up and plan to change it again. Still need to have more pull from the front wheels. Plan is to change to 10,000F, 7,000C & 5,000R.

RC Enthusiast
    ok cool.im not noticing any issues but just trying to further my knowledge ..

RC Racer
    i was not haveing an issue until I changed the fluid. it was my first time changing it so I may have missed a step or did something wrong. HA HA HA