$2 DIY working brake lights.

i made a quick video to explain how to get working brake lights on your RC for only a few bucks.

DISCLAIMER: if you dont understand basic electronics then dont try this as there is a slight risk of damaging your Rx if you dont know what your doing, but anyone who knows how to solder and tell a positive wire from a negative (red/black) should be able to do it very easily.

note: i used one LED in the video to show simple wiring, but the 47ohm resistor i used will actually power 2x 3mm LED in parallel for left/right brake lights and keep the wiring very simple with only 2 wires (pos and neg) to the rear bumper

if you run different LED's, or want to run more or less LED then use LEDCALC.com to get the correct resistor value. its not my website but i found it very handy.

see the description for more info. i suggest testing it out on an old Rx before fitting to your RC just to be safe.

need:
    2x 3mm LED (for rpm tail light kit)
    47ohm 1/2 watt resistor
    cheap servo - i used a micro servo as the circuit board is nice and small
    Y harness, to hook it up to your ESC or throttle/brake servo on a nitro.

again i stress. if you dont have basic electronic knowledge or know what a resistor is then you shouldnt be doing it. just go buy a kit from an rc lights store.

http://youtu.be/eA-oP7AyvPY
    Last edited by NitroRCracer; 03-16-2013 at 06:28 AM.
    Im no expert. i just play one on the TRX forums

RC Champion
    is that reverse or brake.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

brake lights, but i guess you could use white LED and no red light covers if you want reversing lights.

if you have a FW/Rev ESC, then the lights will be on when your in reverse. but generally your only backing up a few feet to get away from an obstacle... unless you drive around in reverse all the time?

so what i ended up doing was cutting the entire shaft of the pot' so it cannot be bumped out of place. you can adjust it up by gently moving it with a toothpick or micro screw driver.
    a friend also used a drop of hot glue to tack it in place.

with the motor gone and the gears missing i reversed the top section of the servo case and put the heat shrinked resistor in where the motor was so the LED wires directly exit the top of the servo case where you'd normally attach a servo horn.

this way everything still stays protected in the servo case including the resistor joints, and you end up with a standard servo lead and the LED wires out the top.
    i waterproofed it with a light coating of liquid rubber to stop dirt getting in.
    Last edited by NitroRCracer; 03-22-2013 at 09:33 AM.

RC Champion
    Couldn't you just have a relay so that the lights were always on except when throttle is applied?
    / 16

i guess that might be possible, not sure how you could wire it into the th/br channel though. i know with brushed electrics some ppl ran power from the motor wire to a relay then their LED's so if the motor draws power the voltage to the relay drops and cuts power to the lights, but it wont work that way for brushless.

with the simple setup im using you only get brake lights if you apply brakes (or reverse if you run reverse) which means you can sit still with no thr/br at all, and the lights wont be on. kinda like a car sitting in neutral with no brake on.

the servo setup was incredibly simple to do. your just removing a motor and all the gears.
    the Hextronic micro servo was very small and very cheap. i suspect a relay will cost you more than 2 bucks and still need some sort of circuitry to work off your thr/br channel anyway