RC Champion

upgraded brushed motor?

anyone run any other brushed motor other than the titan 12t thats better? my sons slash still has its original titan motor and is still working. tops out at about 20mph with 90spur and 18pinion. might be a little slower now bein that its a year old but i do have a brand new titan already broken in for him when his current one craps out. the topspeed i think is good for him right now but i would like him to have a little more acceleration and torque off the line. after he goes through these titan motors i was thinkin about just putting in maybe a better brushed motor. he isnt ready for brushless yet. the only brushless system i would consider for him is maybe the hobbywing 9t system. is the hpi brushed motor better?

RC Champion
    The Electrifly 600 has oodles of power for a brushed motor, plus better longevity!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Champion
    sounds good. would rather not have to solder wires on though.

Still running my trusty old Trinity P-94 in one of my Slashes. Every bit as fast as my VXL Slash and has the same, if not better run times. Don't ask me how that's even possible, but I have witnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    sounds good. would rather not have to solder wires on though.
    It's pretty easy to solder those leads on as compared with esc leads... I wouldn't let that stop you.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

I run a trinity co27 outlaw stock hybrid motor. It's insanely quick for a z27t. I liked it better then the vxl setup I had. Seem to be slightly slower but never lacked power.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    lol. i kinda just want something that i can just throw in there and call it a day. i dont know how to solder.

RC Champion
    lol. i kinda just want something that i can just throw in there and call it a day. i dont know how to solder.
    For as long as you have been at this, it is hard for me to believe you have not learned to solder yet!

But I do understand "just throw it in there and call it a day".

Someone you know may know how to solder and assist you if you are so inclined to have a need to know..

Easy for me to say as I use to teach soldering and basic electronics at a local Jr college... Still do on occasion as a substitute.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Make a YouTube video for us that don't know how to. For the traxxas connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    For as long as you have been at this, it is hard for me to believe you have not learned to solder yet!

But I do understand "just throw it in there and call it a day".

Someone you know may know how to solder and assist you if you are so inclined to have a need to know..

Easy for me to say as I use to teach soldering and basic electronics at a local Jr college... Still do on occasion as a substitute.
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by orca44 View Post
    I hate to pile on, RedLight, but I was going to say the same thing. Not knowing how to solder for RC is like learning how to drive without ever turning left. It can be done, but it's not very practical. If I had an extra iron hanging around I'd send it to you.

A couple months ago my kid started whining about his broken "Beats" headphones. These things ain't cheap. He stepped on the wire while running and yanked the cord right out. He wanted me to "loan" him the dough for a new set (like that was gonna happen ). I pulled the cover off and could see where the wires got ripped from a circuit board. I heated up the 'ol Weller, tinned the tip and in 2 minutes flat saved a $300 investment from going in the trash. That day, I was a hero...

All because I knew how to solder.

Now commit yourself to the black art of soldering! You can fix all kinds of different stuff besides RC, and it smells kinda cool. And I promise...it's not that difficult.

RC Champion
    i just bought a soldering gun and some solder so i will solder a bunch of random stuff together to get the practice in.

RC Champion
    i just bought a soldering gun and some solder so i will solder a bunch of random stuff together to get the practice in.
    AWESOME! Work on tinning the tip and getting the iron just hot enough to melt the solder. You want to heat the entire assembly that you're soldering and feed in the solder until you have one solid piece of metal.

RC Champion
    What wattage soldering device did you purchase? And what type of solder?

You mentioned a soldering gun, but I hope you purchased a pencil type soldering iron of at least 60 watts and rosin core 60/40. 60% tin and 40% lead. They also make lead free solder, I just prefer the type with lead for a stronger joint. Especially when doing high current connectors.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Champion
    its a 40 watt. got it cheap at home depot. not sure of the solder but it looks cheap too. good to practice with i think though.

RC Champion
    The 40 watt will do just fine for most of your hobby needs.

The soldering device you have should have come with an "iron clad" tip, just keep it clean and do not use a file on the iron clad tip.
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Champion
    Dean's solder is the best for connectors and such. I get it at my LHS. As for the iron...I always keep a wet sponge nearby to keep the tip clean while I'm working. A clean, properly tinned tip makes thinks a lot easier.

RC Champion
    I thought Dean's Solder went out of business.. I ran out of their solder years ago and would sure like to find some more. PM me if you have a good source as this is beginning to get away from the original topic.

Thanks,
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis