RC Competitor

differential tuning

I was test driving my new to me E-maxx and noticed it would benefit traction with a bit tighter rear dif.. never had a sealed - liquid filled differential before where should I start?

RC Racer
    I'd start by taking it apart and giving it a fresh fill with stock oil, whatever weight that may be... or get a bit heavier oil..
    but making sure everything is up to par, since it was used is my best advice...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by JackSlash View Post
    I'd start by taking it apart and giving it a fresh fill with stock oil, whatever weight that may be... or get a bit heavier oil..
    but making sure everything is up to par, since it was used is my best advice...
    What is the stock fluid used? The truck still looks new so I'm thinking it just needs a bit heavier fluid..

It won't help under steer which it has bad but traction is worth it to me..

RC Champion
    Yes heavier diff oil give it a more posi like effect.

I've tried as thick as 100k silicone oil. Now I run a mixture of Silly Putty and diff oil.

When it's cold and set up, turn one wheel by hand and the opposite wheel turns in the same direction like a spooled diff. Once I get it warmed up a bit it begins to soften and slips. But it stay's tight.

RC Racer
    I run 500K Weight Differential Oil from Traxxas in both the front and rear, love it!
    E-Maxx 150A and 2100kv 4-pole

RC Champion
    i'm with the 500K wt. Stick with the same brand it'll be easier to compare with the different wt's
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC Competitor
    I see I'm not looking for a "spool" like feeling as that causes the rear to want to come around on itself.. just a tighter action so like MnM said it's tight but will still slip

I finally got the toe/caster figured out so it actually wants to go straight now but added traction from the 2 basically free spinning wheels would be great
    Last edited by Zac_F71; 03-17-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spelling