RC poster

Traxxas male connector dangers?

Since the charger is the male end of the connector, has anyone ever accidentally touched both tips while the charger is plugged into an electrical outlet? I'm just looking at it and noticed that you can easily slip while plugging in a battery to charge. I haven't played with RC in years - the last time I did it was way back with molex connectors which is much harder to touch the tip. Thanks!

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forums.

The only time that current could come out of the male lead is if the charger is on and charging; however, if the battery is pulled off the lead (on smart chargers), you get the "CONNECTION BREAK" error and the charge stops.

What charger are you using?
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC poster
    Thanks! I'm using a Tower Hobbies AC/DC Peak Charger NiCd/NiMH. Any idea if that is a smart charger?

edit: with a molex > traxxas connector.
    Last edited by blastfromthepast; 03-15-2013 at 06:25 PM.

RC Champion
    That's NOT a smart charger...smart chargers are computerized; they work with many battery chemistries (LiPo, LiFe, NiMh, NiCd, Pb); they can cycle batteries, balance-charge LiPos, etc.

As far as getting a shock from your charge leads, I wouldn't worry about it; then again, I wouldn't go grabbing the metal with bare hands, either! Plug your battery in first, then the charger.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC poster
    haha...thanks!