RC Qualifier

laptop keyboard problems

hello, sense yesterday i've been having problems with my keyboard. it has been typing random stuff at first, then when it stops spamming, i can't type at all, im using the on screen keyboard, the one you click letters with the mouse. i have done several full scans, and have no viruses. please help
    kawasaki summit, revo& slash; regular rusty, pede

RC Qualifier
    Have you ever spilled anything on it? Do you live near an ocean? Do you eat while you are on your laptop? How old is it? What brand/ Model is it?
    Jesus, Lights, RC, Minecraft, LoL

Laptop keyboards can be removed, make sure you remove the battery AND the A/C power before trying this... Also, the plastic is brittle, don't force it or you will break it... You have to remove the top bezel that goes around the keyboard and over the hinges of your screen.... Go in small increments with a small spoon (prevents gouging the plastic) around the bezel's seam where it metts up to the rest of the other plastic pieces and it should pop off. Then there are usually 2 screws on the top of that keyboard that are revealed with the bezel off, take them out and the keyboard should lift out. Now careful of that ribbon cable, it can tear... There is a compression fitting that you need to release before you remove the cable, take note which way the contact of the cable face... Then try cleaning up the keyboard with some compressed air, hook the keyboard back up and see if it responds... If you get the same problem remove the power and battery, remove the keyboard cable and power on, if it is still doing it, then the problem is not with the keyboard.....

Hope that helps.

Sounds like a stuck key almost....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    the best way to replace it is find the brand and model number and serial number got to manufactures website for replacement parts find the exact part number you need then go to ebay for the part once you have the part youtube the procedure to do it so you can follow it step by step makes it simple and a good guide to no tlose track of where you were if you dont get it dont in 30 mins

RC Qualifier
    thanks for the suggestions, but i have cleaned out the keyboard with nothing in the keyboard besides a light layer of dust. after lightly blowing out the dust with compressed air, the laptop is still going nuts. I have restored the laptop to several months before the problem occured, still no luck. To answer previous questions: i do not eat near the laptop, i do not live near an ocean nor does the laptop go outdoors, the laptop is a Toshiba and i am unsure of the model number, currently i am at the library using their computer (haha), but i will update later on when i return home with the specific model number, thank you for your time.

RC Champion
    Maybe you could contact toshiba and they can diagnose the problem?
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

my used toshiba satellite has had a weird keyboard problem since I bought it used 3 years ago. Every once in a while, the cursor will reset to wherever my mouse pointer is while typing. It happens maybe 2x a week, so its not as freakish as yours, but still a little weird...
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

DId you try disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard ribbon cable from the laptop and then re-connecting it...

I've fixed that exact same problem many times by just doing that... A simple short can cause this issue..... IF not the keyboard is able to be replaced...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    yes, i reconnected the the ribbon, still the same problem. i think its a problem with a code in the hard-drive

Quote Originally Posted by i killed kenny View Post
    yes, i reconnected the the ribbon, still the same problem. i think its a problem with a code in the hard-drive
    Try this, remove the keyboard completely, and use a USB keyboard, and boot up. If the problem is still there you either have some malware or the keyboard bios on the mother board is toasted (hope it's the first one)... NN
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    Maybe you could contact toshiba and they can diagnose the problem?
    +1 I have a Toshiba and they have nice support!
    Jesus, Lights, RC, Minecraft, LoL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Try this, remove the keyboard completely, and use a USB keyboard, and boot up. If the problem is still there you either have some malware or the keyboard bios on the mother board is toasted (hope it's the first one)... NN
    I tried it as you said, but even still the keyboard with the usb was "glitching" (typing randomly) still. But I tried logging onto the laptop again a couple days later for kicks and grins, after about 20 minutes it didn't "glitch out" (which it would normally start after about 9-12 minutes of use). I figured I would take it on a test run, messed arround on the laptop for 3 hours or so before logging off (never having the issue), ever sense it hasn't had the issue- My only guess is that one of the rebutes or system restores finally had effect.... but i would still like to know what caused this to avoid it from happening in the fute- any guesses?

RC Qualifier
    I dont mean to hijack your thread, but didn't want to make a thread. Quick and easy answer is all I need.

We have also been having keyboard problems as well.. The whole top row doesn't type at all(using iPad now) my brother spilled some coffee on it. Put the whole computer in rice for 3 days, took it out and it still doesn't work. The coffee was spilled nowhere near the top row. There is a number pad off to the right, it was spilled on the lower end of the number pad. Have to use the on screen keyboard as well.
    Thanks!
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    maybe the coffe short circuited something in the keyboard- best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    I dont mean to hijack your thread, but didn't want to make a thread. Quick and easy answer is all I need.

We have also been having keyboard problems as well.. The whole top row doesn't type at all(using iPad now) my brother spilled some coffee on it. Put the whole computer in rice for 3 days, took it out and it still doesn't work. The coffee was spilled nowhere near the top row. There is a number pad off to the right, it was spilled on the lower end of the number pad. Have to use the on screen keyboard as well.
    Thanks!
    Laptop?

If it was just a water spill the rice might work, but that's coffee, it leaves residue.....

You can try removing the keyboard (power off battery removed from laptop) get some electrical contact cleaner that is safe for plastics (it will say so on the spray can) soak it down, use some on a rag and clean up any on the inside of the laptop and the connector (very careful those connectors are very fragile)... Then use an air compressor to dry off the excess. Let it sit overnight and then re-assemble, if it does not work still probably you need a replacement keyboard.... Ebay is your friend....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous