RC poster

extremely hot batteries

Hey all, I just purchased 2 nimh series 5 traxxas batteries and after a full 1amp charge overnight I took them out for a rip in my 1:10 summit. After about 20 minutes of bashing, I checked the temperature of all the electronics and everything seemed within spec (warm) but the batteries where both hot, one hotter than the other. It had actually melted the case around one of the cells (bare metal battery is showing) nearly burning my hand when taking it out. Is this normal?? My summit is relatively stock with the exception of all of the tqi gadgets.

RC Champion
    The telemetry wouldn't have anything to do with the batteries overheating.

If you're drawing more power than the batteries can provide, they're going to get toasty.

Two words: throttle control!

Or two different words: Go LiPo!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC poster
    haha yeah, I was wot from dead stops constantly but figured stock truck should be able to handle it just fine. I noticed with my telometry that even at a completely dead battery its deading over 7.7 volts. Shouldnt it go down to like 1 volt or zero??

I'm looking into spc's 8200mah lipos. Just gotta toss some cash on my credit card

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by girlcrazy_4 View Post
    I noticed with my telometry that even at a completely dead battery its deading over 7.7 volts. Shouldnt it go down to like 1 volt or zero??
    No sir. A fully charged NiMh pack has 1.5 volts per cell. Under load, those same cells produce 1.2 volts each. And a well-depleted pack still produces .8 volts/cell.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot