RC poster

New TQi Telemetry install

I finally got all the parts and installed the TQi telemetry in my Rustler last night. I found a youtube from cstoneav that provided some helpful hints on installing everything. Only thing missing was that the red mark on the magnet needs to face away from the spur gear. I got everything installed late last night. I took the Rustler out for a test drive after I finished just to make sure everything worked properly. It appeared to be fine although I think I need to tighten the clutch a bit. I backed it off 1.5 turns, I think I will tighten it .25 turns.

I do have a question on the MPH. I believe MPH is calculated based on RPM, gearing, and tires. I have a stock Rustler VXL with the 28 tooth pinion gear and a 2S 6500 35C LiPo. As this was mainly a test to make sure the work I did was right and it was very late at night I only ran the LiPo at about 60% charge. (Storage charge, I did not want to take the time to charge it.) I could only see for about 100' in the street so my runs were very short. I never was able to get full throttle. The fastest MPH logged was 41.053 with 23,292 RPM. Does this sound right? I do not have access to radar guns and I don't want to put my auto GPS in there as I still have the tenancy to roll it.

I have the motor temp, RPM, and voltage sensor. Are there any other sensors that can be added? I read about the GPS, but when I called Traxxas I was told that the part was not released yet and that it was a slip in the marketing department that even released that it existed. Is there a way to monitor the ESC temp?

Thanks,

RC Champion
    The speed, IMO, is not particularly accurate, especially if you change tires, gearing, etc. But it does give you a good baseline to compare against every time you run.

There are no other sensors that I'm aware of. If you know your motor temps are okay on a particular setup, you might be able to take that sensor off and fasten it to your ESC somehow. Just a suggestion.

Welcome to the forums.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    I just bought the telemetry (didn't installed it yet.) This is what I know about it:
    The TQi 5 Ch receiver of your Rustler as lot of input: 5 channel, one for voltage / temperature, one for rpm and one for the telemetry expender #6550. I don't know many thing about the telemetry expander, only that it has many input too (probably for extra temperature sensor) and we need it for the GPS module #6551. If you want a way to monitor the esc temp, you'll probably need the telemetry expander.
    You can easily find the gps module or the telemetry expander in the web, just google them!

The way I managed to know my stampede speed is to put my iphone into a case (could be done with a car GPS) then securely tie-wrap it inside the body. No matter if it rolls, the tie-wrap will hold the case with you gps inside it.
    Last edited by emmanhello; 03-17-2013 at 03:07 PM.

RC poster
    can find the gps and telemtry expander

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They were never released...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC poster
    Do I need the expander module for gps if I'm not running a rpm sensor??

RC Qualifier
    if you have the gps module, you'll need the expander. Even if you don't have RPM sensor.
    ... for the fun of excess!

RC Enthusiast
    Would you please include a link to the YouTube install, set-up video? Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Qualifier
    I never found a how-to video, sorry
    ... for the fun of excess!