RC Enthusiast

What are the best shock settings for top speed on pavement??

What are the best shocks settings for top speed on pavement? I have my battery in the middle and aluminum upper/lower front bulkhead, aluminum front shock tower, rpm a arms and rpm wide front bumper.

I dont know much about suspension settings. This is a pavement only truck..

What holes and how stiff to set shocks for max speed and handlings on pavement would help!! I noticed with.stiffer shocks i could not lock up the breaks and cut the wheel to spin to stop faster...
    " Some times you gotta race it out man" -Me

RC Qualifier
    Hmm... This is difficult to say. I have both an on road and off road and both use GTR shocks. I think they are decent value for the money. You will want to test with different size shock inserts, different weight fluids, different stiffness on the springs and different hole locations. This will all be trial and error I am afraid. I use medium to heavy weight fluid, the outer holes to keep it lower and medium stiff springs. I can lock up my breaks and spin out easily. Tires, surface type and temperature play a role here as well. Think about what a nascar pit crew does all the time. They adjust everything on the car based on all the conditions. You will have to do the same as well.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Enthusiast
    Well, I dont have as many variables. I live in florida, its hot, stays hot. I tune the engine but wont need to tune and retune my suspension. The pavement is very consistant in my area, so I wont need to retune for that.

Im mostly wondwr witch holes to put the stock shocks in. The front is inside holes up top outside holes bottom. Rear is middle hole top middle hole.bottom.

For top speed what holes should i have them in and how stiff ( adjusting stock shocks ) stock oil weight

RC Qualifier
    For flat out top speed on straight always, I would set the stance as low as possible without bottoming out on the the little bumps. So use the inner holes up top and outter holes on the bottom. Try heavy shock fluid and medium stiff springs. If it appears unstable on bumps in the road or rolls out funny in turns then adjust springs and shock fluid accordingly. It is trial and error to see what is gonna work best for you and your conditions.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Qualifier
    I dropped my jato using the fuel line mod and use revo springs front and back with heavy shock oil.... Runs like a beast and wheelies in 2nd... Tracks straight like she's on rails... Just experiment... But she does well when you stiffen her out and use shims to get rid of slop... Again this is for on road speed runs...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by XO-1 MD View Post
    I dropped my jato using the fuel line mod and use revo springs front and back with heavy shock oil.... Runs like a beast and wheelies in 2nd... Tracks straight like she's on rails... Just experiment... But she does well when you stiffen her out and use shims to get rid of slop... Again this is for on road speed runs...
    Whats the fuel line mod? And do you have stock gearing? Battery in the back? How r u getting second gear wheelies? Annnnd what " slop" r u talking about ive got a brand new jato so it came with adjustable shocks...

RC Qualifier
    Fuel line inside the shock where you slide a 5 mm length of tube over the shock shaft... This decreases the travel and drops the jato down... The purple shock and blue revo shocks...rear and front respectively... I use revo 20/36 gearing... Flat battery pack in the middle... And the slop I am talking about is the inherent wobble that you get in the front and rear axle and hub carriers from the inability of plastic to be sufficiently stiff/ rigid at high speeds, it just cannot handle the vibrations generated by the high power to weight ratio Jatos have... They are over powered speed machines... So trust me... Stiffen the front and rear end up and you will be rewarded. I changed those to aluminum.... Golden Horizon for the rear and Traxxas upgrade for the front.. I use Teflon shims from LHS and regular fiber glass shims from Home Depot... Trust I answered everything... Will post a pic when I get the chance...

TRAXXAS XO-1/ Jato 3.3/Tmaxx picco reddot/HPI Vorza Flux /OFNA LX2 W LRP.28/2013 Mustang GT 5.0
    Last edited by XO-1 MD; 03-17-2013 at 07:10 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by XO-1 MD View Post
    Fuel line inside the shock where you slide a 5 mm length of tube over the shock shaft... This decreases the travel and drops the jato down... The purple shock and blue revo shocks...rear and front respectively... I use revo 20/36 gearing... Flat battery pack in the middle... And the slop I am talking about is the inherent wobble that you get in the front and rear axle and hub carriers from the inability of plastic to be sufficiently stiff/ rigid at high speeds, it just cannot handle the vibrations generated by the high power to weight ratio Jatos have... They are over powered speed machines... So trust me... Stiffen the front and rear end up and you will be rewarded. I changed those to aluminum.... Golden Horizon for the rear and Traxxas upgrade for the front.. I use Teflon shims from LHS and regular fiber glass shims from Home Depot... Trust I answered everything... Will post a pic when I get the chance...

TRAXXAS XO-1/ Jato 3.3/Tmaxx picco reddot/HPI Vorza Flux /OFNA LX2 W LRP.28/2013 Mustang GT 5.0

Awesome, pictures would be awesome... What do you think of the traxxas rear axle upgrade? The stock ones seem to do the job..?

RC Qualifier
    GVille here are some pics as promised...

RC Enthusiast
    Great pictures. Did you notice anything with the rear axle mod? And whats up with that air filter man ... its huge..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleFloridaSlayer View Post
    Great pictures. Did you notice anything with the rear axle mod? And whats up with that air filter man ... its huge..
    No problems with the axle mod at all... The bigger air filter is from a Savage... I upgraded my carb to a losi 3.4 carb which has a larger internal diameter... So to maximize air flow I use the larger air filter... Engine screams, runs way cooler than stock and does not hesitate when I hammer the throttle like stock....