RC Racer

need opinion/advice please....

so i have been running my slash with stock brushless motor and ESC with 2s and 3s (not at the same time, of course) with minimal heating issues. i have never installed the optional speed pinion gear but today i purchased a 50 tooth spur as i plan on installing them both this weekend.anyone think that sounds right? i also purchased the aluminum bearing adapter. thanks!

RC Qualifier
    WOW!!!! Your gonna go for it huh!!!!! Just be sure to keep an eye on the temps and keep the run time short, too much heat will destroy the VXL system......good luck!!!!!
    rc10T3, TT Sparrowhawk XXB, Slash 4x4, 1/16 Rally

I think you could be making a mistake. If you get a heatsink with a single fan, your temps won't get as high. Good luck to you!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Racer
    i have dual fans. do you think ill notice a difference in speed?

The reason I say single fan is because a dual fan setup can overload the bec of your esc. If you are in the middle of a run and your truck freezes in place, no throttle or steering, it is your dual fan setup that will cause that to happen.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Add'n 5 teeth on the pinion and take'n 4 off the spur.....yeah you'll notice a difference!!!! But like I said, be careful!!!!
    rc10T3, TT Sparrowhawk XXB, Slash 4x4, 1/16 Rally

RC Racer
    should i just start off with 2s lipo?

RC Qualifier
    You should be able to fry an egg on there in no time !!! I would check the temps every couple minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    wow, really? now i'm a little concerned. would my ESC shut down like thermal warning?

RC Qualifier
    I would only run this gear ratio for a few high speed passes, checking temps very often. I tried 18/53 on 2.8" Talon tires and could not control it around 60mph! But, I was just doing a few long passes with no body on. Do not use this as your everyday ratio!BTW, I was running dual motor fans and Traxxas esc fan.

a few years ago when this system first came out, you could push them alot harder than you can now. the motors aren't the same as the first ones that i remember. back in the day, you could not only run it geared up on 3S but a few of us did limited runs on 4 and 5S with different escs. now, i would never recommend them on 3S geared on anything other than stock gearing.

the first motors were feigao motors....i'm not sure the newer ones are...they might be technically.... but imo they aren't the same quality.

I've been doing this for going on 27 years and i've never had a brushless motor fail on me until i ran the newer velineon motor on 3S with a higher gear....and i DO watch my temps.

be careful...if you want more spped, you ought to be looking into a better setup imo.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Racer
    i was only planning to do a few high speed runs with this gearing, never as an everyday setup. also i do plan on upgrading my motor/esc, what do you guys suggest as a happy medium for speed and bashing?

Quote Originally Posted by jason draughn View Post
    i was only planning to do a few high speed runs with this gearing, never as an everyday setup. also i do plan on upgrading my motor/esc, what do you guys suggest as a happy medium for speed and bashing?
    either the castle 2400 sct combo or the castle 3800 combo. both are great. if you get the 2400 combo, I recommend running it on 4S. I race mine on 3S at the track and it has plenty of speed. on 4S it's sick fast. the 2400 will run cooler and have more torque than the 3800.
    if you deceide to get the 2400 combo, I recommend changing to cvds as the stockers probably won't hold long. the 3800 will be fast on 2S, and will be blistering fast on 3S. watch your temps there. you'll need to gear lower than the 2400, but it will be easier on your driveline.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash