RC Racer

If I was going to go brushless....

Tekkin Rx8 or the new Castle Monster Mamba 2?

The RX8 had a great track record. The Castle is pretty much as water resistant as I need, not so with the RX8..

Also they don't call them Castle Cremations for nothing..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun6 View Post
    Also they don't call them Castle Cremations for nothing..
    Funny! But I honestly haven't ever had a bad ESC or motor from them and their customer service is excellent. Just my $.02!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

jonesdallas
    Ive had Castles 1/8 Monster Truck ESC fry on me... from sinking my buggy in a pool...

They did replace it with a brand new one and I had no reciept... because it was given to me.

So at least they DO have great cx service.

RC Champion
    Apparently they do have great customer service, and with this hobby that's hard to do due to costs! They sell something for every application too which is great, Castle Creamations is certainly funny but seems way out of left field.

I have noticed though that on a lot of their PCB's they are poorly soldered, so that could be the case of same failures.

If I had to compare failure stories between tekin and castle.....
    I now own a rx8
    My MMP would cost almost as much to repair + shipping as what I paid for it.
    So it sits in a box taunting me lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    I recommend the RX8 with which ever 2000 or 2250 kv 4038 motor you desire. I followed squirrelod's youtube vid to waterproof but for the open connector on the esc I filled it with denture thermo plastic ($4 at the pharmacy) let it cool then pulled it out, trimmed it, put some dielectric grease on the pins ansd reinstalled followed by liquid tape. Haven't really had water runs yet though, just snow so far but all is well.

Btw ckrccrawlers has them for $280 if you don't mind waiting.
    Last edited by MagicDragon; 03-14-2013 at 06:03 PM.

RC Racer
    Ok after even more research after my initial question it looks to be the rx8. Better performance with initial throttle and no cogging.

Just to save up now. Please stock motor, don't fail!

RC Racer
    I actually own both system. The rx8 in a summit and the mamba monster 2 in a slash/rally. I would definitely go for the rx8. The mm2 is nice but you cant run sensored motors with it. I don't see it doing to well crawling. You can also just put a outerwears cover on your summit to keep alot of water out. I have ran mine in rain and snow without any trouble so far.

RC Qualifier
    As long as you aren't trying to use your summit as a boat like I've seen some people do you can get an outerwears cover.

I've been running my mmp and sensored motor through snow and puddles, neither is waterproof and I've had no problems, the chassis stays bone dry.

What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC poster
    I picked up my first RC a couple weeks ago. That same week, I decided on a MM2 kit. I'm no expert, or anything along those lines, so I just wanted to be clear by starting off that way...

I think that the crawling is still pretty good, even with the sensorless MM2. It does chunk a bit when trying to crawl at extremely low speeds, and it will chunk when you try to crawl from a start, but it's not too bad. I will say that I have since received my Castle Link and have fiddled a little bit, but haven't gone back out yet to see if the chunking has mittigated at all.

I will say that any chunking that I've experienced so far has been worth the power over the OEM motor/ESC. The OEMs are not in anyway underpowered, IMVHO, but it's just cool to see something so big move so fast. I will also freely admit it might be a little too much for my set-up, as even on the street, I have not max'd the speed out, yet. I have some other mods' I'd like to do before spending money on a perfect set of new tires/wheels, but I see trying something different out down the road.

This is my first RC, and I've only had the OEM and MM2 set-up, don't think you can go wrong. I've seen and read some very great things about the RX8, too, so it seems you're in a good position. I'm also going to pick up that Outwears cover today, too! That's an excellent idea!

Thanks Community

Chuck

RC Champion
    The biggest culprit is all the hysteresis in our drivelines... you can sometimes rotate the spur 400 before all wheels are engaged! Combine that with a non-sensored brushless and you have a lot of cogging. Even sensored can cog with the amount of lag in the driveline, but that's just the car itself.

At the end of the day, whatever motor people spend a lot of money on they will want to see good, that's why all the expensive motors have good reviews or are all hailed as, "best option bro!" I've run $40 motors and a $200 motor, I saw zero difference and that's a fact! Only three different ESC's though, and I know an ESC can play the biggest difference.

RC Competitor
    I have the mmm in my summit and it's awesome. I did tone down the power a little to help save diffs, but compared to my buddies stock summit I can fly up hills and power over things that stop his in its tracks. As far as cogging goes, I have some cheap lipos and some good lipos and it barely cogs with the good ones and is alot more noticeable with the cheap ones. Even so, it still crawls good.

NOTErized!

RC Competitor
    I own both setups and both are great. The RX8 has a few more features that I find helpful when racing such as the "push" feature. It allows you to reduce some of the drag brake when the motor is not under power. I'm running the Castle setup in my 1/8 truggy, electric Revo conversion, and my Summit. All running 4s and I've had zero issues. I don't run in deep water (splashing is about it) and they are all going strong. Castle is easier to find for cheap prices since they are putting them in HPI and Traxxas vehicles. And for whatever reason, the HPI flux stuff is pretty cheap since people seem to want the Castle name on their stuff. I paid $175 for the last combo bought and it was new. I'd make it easy on myself and just get the Castle setup.