RC poster

VXL 3s doesnt run right ??

Just got back into the electric stuff and bought this slash used with the VXL system. Im new to the lipo stuff so I had to buy battery's and charger and from what Ive read I seem to be doing all that correct. When I drive the truck I get about 5 min and then it cuts off. I have to walk over to truck and push the button again on ESC to turn it back on then it runs a while and does it again. After doing this a few times it will start to act like the battery wants to die and than loose all power for a few seconds than run fast again. What am I doing wrong or is it something Im over looking?

RC Qualifier
    Have the esc with the correct setting? "lipo cut off"
    2wd slash, PL LCG, CC 3800, Powerstrokes, S6040

Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonJuan View Post
    Have the esc with the correct setting? "lipo cut off"
    +1 this. Green on the ESC = GO for LiPo. If the light is still red on your ESC, press and hold the EZ-Set button for about 10 seconds, until the light stays green and an ascending tone is heard.

Also make sure that your LiPos are properly charged (4.2V per cell after charging).

Welcome to the forums.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC poster
    Its set at green solid light. I checked my packs and there 4.19-4.20 per cell.
    Last edited by 188slo50; 03-14-2013 at 06:06 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 188slo50 View Post
    Its set at green solid light. Im charging a pack to see if I can see it tells me the volts per cell.
    The ESC won't tell you the volts per cell. Only a cell checker or multimeter will do that. Cell checker is $5-10 and is a wise investment.

Try removing the motor,then power it up and see if the motor is getting warm in your hand,or making any strange noises.
    I had one velineon 3500 do the same thing when it died due to overheating heating it to many times.
    I could tell it wasn't running right for sometime,but that's what it did in the end.
    And or open the motor and look at the copper wires in the can,mine looked like they were barbequed.
    Just got back into the electric stuff and bought this slash used with the VXL system. Im new to the lipo stuff so I had to buy battery's and charger and from what Ive read I seem to be doing all that correct. When I drive the truck I get about 5 min and then it cuts off. I have to walk over to truck and push the button again on ESC to turn it back on then it runs a while and does it again. After doing this a few times it will start to act like the battery wants to die and than loose all power for a few seconds than run fast again. What am I doing wrong or is it something Im over looking?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by zippogeek View Post
    The ESC won't tell you the volts per cell. Only a cell checker or multimeter will do that. Cell checker is $5-10 and is a wise investment.

My battery charger does!

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Try removing the motor,then power it up and see if the motor is getting warm in your hand,or making any strange noises.
    I had one velineon 3500 do the same thing when it died due to overheating heating it to many times.
    I could tell it wasn't running right for sometime,but that's what it did in the end.
    And or open the motor and look at the copper wires in the can,mine looked like they were barbequed.
    Being this is new to me I have nothing to compare it to for the way it runs but Ill check the wires out and se what I can find out.

RC poster
    Just tore it down and it looks brand new on the inside. Any ideas?

Being used it's hard to say,but it sure sounds like it has something to do with the electronics.
    I know it cost's more but that's why I try to buy every thing electric new.
    If it is shutting all the way down,I would start looking at the battery and or esc connecter's
    There are a lot of people with similer symptoms,and have found it to be the battery to esc connections.
    All I can say,is put it back together and mess with the wire's to see if it shuts down.

RC Qualifier
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...ructions_0.pdf

Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC poster
    Let me play some more and see if I can narrow it down. I ordered different connectors for the battery to see if it helps. I know its not the battery's themselves unless both are bad. If I cant figure it out I may just replace the ESC, got any recommendations if I go that route?

RC Champion
    Let me play some more and see if I can narrow it down. I ordered different connectors for the battery to see if it helps. I know its not the battery's themselves unless both are bad. If I cant figure it out I may just replace the ESC, got any recommendations if I go that route?
    Before you do that, do you have a LHS (local hobby shop)? I would stop in there and see if they can help you. It might be something simple that we're overlooking.

The only thing I can think of, is you said you have to turn the esc back on.
    Just as if you were putting a battery in to start it up again.
    It sounds like the esc is losing power all together,venom battery's are known for bad connecter's,if that's what you have?

The vxl is one of the easiest and reliable esc's out there imo,And with the velineon their a perfect match,but anything can fail,and not knowing it's past make's it that much harder to find,and fix the problem.
    Before I would buy a new esc,I would call traxxas tomorrow,and see if they can help.

Sorry zippogeek,you must have posted while I was typing.But lhs have a tendency to want to sell you something more they fix it,that's why I suggested traxxas support,but agree,don't buy new yet.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-17-2013 at 08:54 AM.

RC poster
    No local hobby stores that know anything. Ill call traxxas Mon and see what they say.

RC Champion
    Sorry zippogeek,you must have posted while I was typing.But lhs have a tendency to want to sell you something more they fix it,that's why I suggested traxxas support,but agree,don't buy new yet.
    +1 that, Traxxas support is excellent. I guess my LHS is exceptional...I have to go there and MAKE them sell me stuff.

RC poster
    Ok I think it was the connectors. I replaced it and ran a whole pack through it till I broke the rear axle carrier taking a jump but it didnt shut own until the low voltage took over. Thanks for the help and now its fun time!!!!

Good deal.

RC Racer
    I just read this thread for the first time. I had the same prob with my green packs. Urrrggghhh

RC Champion
    Glad to hear it's working!