RC poster

Lipo batteries in a brushed EMAXX?

I'm thinking about getting Lipo batteries for my EMAXX, its got the EVX-2 16.8v ESC with low voltage detection. I'm told I can run Lipo batteries, but just need to take it easy when running. Any suggestions?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    i run lipos all the time on brushed titans. no problems. im not a serious basher, so other members may have different opinions.

when you do decide to go lipo. measure your battery tray so you know what length/width/height of lipo to get. peace
    Last edited by ajcar; 03-13-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    There was just a thread about this earlier today...there's no problem with LiPos in a regular E-Maxx...knock yourself out!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Racer
    What bumper do u have on your truck and where'd you get it? Looks BADASS!!!

RC Racer
    i think he is rocking a proline summit bumper..???... but anyway i run 2 5200 2s lipo in my brushed summit 1/10 its more then fun. GO LIPO!!!!!!!!!
    NO U CANT DRIVE MY SUMMIT!

RC Champion
    The new EVX-2 with LVD is completely capable of handling two 2s LiPo's. Even the older EVX-2 that doesn't have the built in LVD can handle 2s LiPo's (just use an external LVA).

As far as will the Brushed Titans handling the added punch of the LiPo's… IMO, thats a mixed jury. My personal opinion is that it's not the added power increase that potentially kills the Titans. It's the longer constant voltage and increased battery life that kills the Titans.

LiPo's have a slower discharge curve. They provide close to the max voltage until they near depletion.

NiMH's have a faster discharge curve. As soon as a fully charged NiMH battery is plugged in and the voltage begins to drop. The drop may not be as dramatic as standard alkaline batteries but the curve is sharper than the LiPo curve.

The stock NiMH batteries that comes with the E Maxx are 7.2v 3000mah 7 cell. They will actually charge up to 8.4 volts.

The 2s Lipo (rated at 7.2 volts but charges to 8.4) that fits the battery tray can be purchased in the 5000mah variety. Thats 2000mah's worth of additional run time per battery, 4000mah altogether.

So what does all this rambling mean to me… It not any added power that kills the Titan motor's because 8.4 volts is 8.4 volts. It's that the LiPo applies near 8.4 volts for an additional 2000mah's. The extended exposure to heat and stress is what kills the motor(s).

Kinda like instead of applying nitrous to a race engine in short bursts you apply it for a long duration.

Rambling is now complete.

RC Competitor
    The newer E-maxx's have 8.4v 3000's that actually can hold up to 10v each..but like you say the discharge/voltage drop curve is much faster with NIMH
    Last edited by Zac_F71; 03-13-2013 at 08:57 PM.

RC poster
    It's the pro-line racing Ridge Line Bumper (Narrow). I've got another one.

I've been running Racers Edge 8.4v 5000 mAh 7 cells in my truck, and then the stock 3000 mAh batteries.
    Q: how much more runtime do you get with Lipo over nimh?

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-13-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    I've smoked 4 titans already with two 2s lipos both on the second run. I'm not even going to waste anymore money. Going to get mamba monster combo soon. Just a lil pricey. Although it did run like a bat. Lol.

Please watch for *s in your posts and edit out the inappropriate filtered words.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-17-2013 at 07:47 AM.

RC poster
    After about 3 years of sitting on the shelf I pulled my Emaxx down off the shelf put in a new EVX2 with LVC and 2 5800mah Lipo's 15 minutes into the first run both Titans were smoking with temps at 227-225. Is there another choice for motors without spending $300 on the Mamba brushless?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by zman2rwhd48 View Post
    After about 3 years of sitting on the shelf I pulled my Emaxx down off the shelf put in a new EVX2 with LVC and 2 5800mah Lipo's 15 minutes into the first run both Titans were smoking with temps at 227-225. Is there another choice for motors without spending $300 on the Mamba brushless?
    Wow, 225!!! I'm wondering if something wasn't binding or frozen, like a bearing in the tranny. After 3 years on the shelf it's possible a bearing ceased.

Wanna stay brushed… The DeWalt mod can be done for $50-$60. That includes the motor, pinion, motor mount and gear cover. A new mount and cover is not needed for this mod, you can do it with the original mount.

If you want BL… Hobbywing combos are a good place to start looking.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackerLife RC View Post

I've been running Racers Edge 8.4v 5000 mAh 7 cells in my truck, and then the stock 3000 mAh batteries.
    Q: how much more runtime do you get with Lipo over nimh?
    We had 15min run times on nimh and now getting 40-50 min run times

RC poster
    Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    2S LiPo packs will NOT inherently damage the brushed motors in an EMaxx. What will damage these motors is the the heat associated with long runtimes.

RC poster
    I made a hitch to pull my Rc boats on trailers. And the pond is a nice walk from the house. So there's really no hard running involved.

RC Racer
    Is it possible to cool the titans enough so you can run lipos without any question?