RC Qualifier

Question Single servo conversion help

I'm having some trouble finding the list of things I need to convert an ERBE to single servo. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that single servo conversion is not exactly your run-of-the-mill upgrade, and was not something I've ever considered to begin with, so I never did any research on the subjec From what I've been able to understand, I need (roughly) the following:

1. Servo itself. Some people seem to prefer Savox (cheaper but less reliable), others Hitec (more expensive and more reliable). Personally I'd rather go with Hitec, but I have no idea which one to get.
    2. Single servo steering linkage? Which?
    3. Servo arm? Which?
    4. Cover for the whole made by the missing servo? Does that even exist?
    5. HD servo saver spring?

Anything I'm missing? And is installation as easy as unplugging the old servos and installing and calibrating the new one, or do I have to do some major wiring/receiver modifications?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I went hitec 7950 on my revo and savox1231 on my maxx. Hitec is almost twice as expensive and I like it more then twice as much!
    Strc has an aluminum dual setup. I would buy that and cut off one side to save money. I also bought their single side one but comes with the arm only
    For the spring traxxas 5344x and cover 5326x. Which will need some mods to fit
    The savox will most likely need a glitch buster or even an external bec and is twitchy and noisier then the hitec
    Last edited by 50togo; 03-04-2013 at 11:17 AM.

RC Champion
    There is a cover but its made for the Revo 3.3, I heard it fits with some modification.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    overall hitec or futaba are better than savox. I have a hitec 7955 on my erevo, and savox 2270 on my emaxx, just removed the link for the second servo, and been running like that without issues, no bec or glitch buster so far both are great.

RC Qualifier
    Hi pal,

servo choice is really down to you but be warned go cheap and you will just break them all the time... I have a HiTec 645 and it works pretty well but I have noticed a little wear over time.. you need to find a strong hi torque and hi speed servo..

Steering servo link... I have an actual blue alloy single servo link I am unsure who made I got lucky with a spare roller I baught adn pinched it for my truck... I have however seen poeple modify the stock link by cutting one arm off... or just leave it unconected - doesn't look great but its practical and free.... if it breaks then go ahead and buy one..

servo arm... I used the stock arm as its just fine as is..

whole cover? now I do have a traxxas cover on my 3.3 but I am unsure if it fits the erevo chassis... I will check later.. and post

hd spring - i dont even know what this is? so cant comment..

RC Qualifier
    Shopping list so far:

• Hitec HS-7950TH
    • ST Racing Concepts Servo Saver Linkage (Blue) (SPTST5344B) < this is going to be a problem because it appears to be discontinued. And it's out of stock everywhere
    • ST Racing Concepts Aluminum Single Steering Servo Saver Arm (Blue) (SPTSTP6037B)
    • ST Racing Concepts Servo Linkage Bracket (Blue) (SPTST5344AB) < is there any benefit to having one of those?
    • GH Racing Servo Horn II (Blue) (24T/Hitec) (GHH01177)
    • Traxxas Revo Servo saver spring, heavy duty 8TRA5344X)
    • Traxxas Steering Servo Cover Plate (TRA5326X)

Pick your own durable plastic (like an old DVD case) and cut a cover.

Off-topic: this is the most difficult task I require of SS hardware, 4 screws for one plastic cover.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-05-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Here is mine with the 5326. One side will need to be opened up more for the lip

RC Qualifier
    Only silver linkage is in stock! I don't want silver, I want blue!

RC Qualifier
    Check out the hot racing servo saver .... Just installed mine the other day (had to shave an arm off) .... great quality and perfect fitment --- and they have blue for you

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm... I love Hot Racing, and they were the first place I looked for a servo saver/linkage. However I couldn't find anything on their website. Only server mount and arms...

Hot racing only make a dual steering arm so you need to cut one off or leave it...I tried to look for a single but couldn't find any.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5358224
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Is it this one? If so, I could always get that + ST Racing single arm.

That's the one...STRC single servo arm won't work; you'll probably need to cut the dual servo arm.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Oh well, Dremel it is then

Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    That's the one...STRC single servo arm won't work; you'll probably need to cut the dual servo arm.
    Why not?
    CNC Machined Aluminum Single Steering Servo Saver Arm (Blue)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    @Ksb51rl : is it really necessary to do the single aluminum arm, and heavy duty spring? I've been running hitec 7055 with stock arm, and spring so far no complains.

It's not necessary to to them until the stock arm breaks.
    The level of modification will depend on the tires you run, the terrain where you drive, the amount of responsiveness you require, etc.
    I don't think the stock SS spring will let you do much more than 200 oz-in. of torque. It was designed to protect plastic-geared servos. I run the HD spring in my Revo and Summit. If there was a XXHD spring, I'd run that. I know the Hitec 79XX servos can take the abuse. I also run the (discontinued) Pro Line aluminum steering arm. Years ago I bought five on eBay for about $3 each.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    In Post #14 Ignis suggested getting the complete Hot Racing steering assembly and the STRC single servo arm...The STRC single servo arm wont work with the Hot Racing servo saver. They have different profile cuts and when assembled together the STRC servo arm moves from side to side no matter how hard you stiffen the spring. I've have tried before in the past.
    Rock n Rolla !

Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    In Post #14 Ignis suggested getting the complete Hot Racing steering assembly and the STRC single servo arm...The STRC single servo arm wont work with the Hot Racing servo saver. They have different profile cuts and when assembled together the STRC servo arm moves from side to side no matter how hard you stiffen the spring. I've have tried before in the past.
    Not doubting, just wanted to know more. Thanks for the clarification.

RC Qualifier
    had a little look on the net and found out my single servo arm is made by proline...sweet..
    I got so much cool bits from a roller i baught including this.

RC Qualifier
    Got my HR servo saver linkage today - love the look and feel of it! It would sure be even better if HR made a single arm for it, but I'll take what I can get

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Proline -thats cool

You plan on cutting one side off?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, though I can't imagine it will be easy considering how tough all HR products are. Still, I have no need for a dual server linkage on a single servo set up, so one side is definitely going.

RC Qualifier
    Cut my second HR assembly yesterday for my summit ... I have a cutoff tool on my air compressor, so it's pretty easy. A nice blade on a dremel should work great though. I used the sanding wheel on the dremel to smooth off the edges

RC Qualifier
    HR? whats this not hardcore racing? thought they are out of buisness I have a harcore racing titanium skid and cant get mounting hardware.....stress of trying to get them is silly....

RC Qualifier
    Its hot racing .

RC Qualifier
    I just cut the stock plastic servo saver arm off and put in a single servo, mine had the same spline mount as stock so I used the stock servo arm. No issues cost me $130 flat. I'm at .09s/60 419Oz*In.