Thread: My First Jato

RC Enthusiast

My First Jato

So I've had a revo since December (my fist nitro) and have been bashing around at work on my lunch break. My boss pulled me out of the shop yesterday and hands me Revo and a Jato and tells me if I can get his revo running i can have the jato............................

so i tore them apart cleaned them out everything looked good. they had been sitting in his garage for a few years with fuel still in them so i had to replace all the lines and clean the carb out real good .
    Charged up the batteries check out the servos , all good . Took them out back and they both fired up pretty quickly for having been shelved for so long.

Made for a real nice day of getting paid to to play with a revo and jato all day and then topped it off with basically a free jato. Only cost me a spur gear for the revo.

RC Champion
    I wish that was my boss!
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    I used to work on my rc's at work at my previous Job. Never scored a free jato though. Lucky punk.
    One shot.....One kill, no exceptions

RC Enthusiast
    Yea it was a nice surprise , guess i'll have to wait a while to ask for that raise though.......................

I had it up a running real nice yesterday, but today i tried running at lunch and couldnt get it to stay on. It would start and idle for a few seconds and then die, and if i gave it gas it would die. maybe i should pulled the carb back off and clean it out again. could still have some gunk in there.

RC Qualifier
    might be a tad bit too lean on both needles. reset them to factory spec and try again. Also, try a new glow plug.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

RC Enthusiast
    so i clean out the carb again and took it out at lunch and wow..........like i said in my first post the only nitro i have or have driven is my revo 3.3 and this jato is a whole different experience all together . Crazy fast and super fun to drive. I'm hooked, my revo might get neglected for a while.

one thing i noticed while trying to fine tune it was that it took a while to get up to temp. I started out at 4 turns out on the high speed needle and 1 1/2 turns on the low speed needle . i kept leaning the hsn out 1/16-1/8 turns but i was on the 3rd tank in a row before i hit 200 and i was running it pretty hard. I'm still a novice and havent experienced that yet. my revo gets up to temp after a few minutes of hard running.
    It's about 75 deg. out so its not like im fighting cold temps and i'm running on grass and dirt. Is this normal or should i continue to lean it out? I havent checked to see how many rotations out from closed i ended up with

RC Competitor
    my jato is about 3 1/2 turn on high speed which gets minor adjustments depending on weather lsn is set at stock it heats up quick stays around 250 to 270 and runs great. Is it shifting into second? my slayer on the other hand is recently broken in still needs more running but getting it up to 270 is hard
    Jato 3.3,Slayer pro

RC Enthusiast
    Ran it again today and didn't change anything, got to 250 on the first tank and stayed between 240 & 260 for a solid hour of bashing. Ran like a champ. It is shifting into second and when it throws the front end up and I wind up having to let of the throttle just to keep it from losing control.

RC Competitor
    Sounds like she's running good than
    Jato 3.3,Slayer pro

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jarod_rodriguez View Post
    might be a tad bit too lean on both needles. reset them to factory spec and try again.
    I know factory on hsn is 4 and lsnis flush but hard to tell what flush is. Can someone relate that to turns?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey76 View Post
    I know factory on hsn is 4 and lsnis flush but hard to tell what flush is. Can someone relate that to turns?
    Check this out...
    Factory Carburetor Settings TRX 2.5 2.5R and 3.3
    The second picture is a good view of what you are looking for. It looks to be a little less than flush in the pic. You want to be flush with that ring it's close to.
    Another way to get what you need is close that needle, DON'T CRANK ON IT, just close it... Then open 1 1/2 turns (one and one half turns). that should get you real close.

RC Competitor
    Thanks that helped a lot

RC Enthusiast
    So i ran her again today and she was running real nice , then stopped. The motor was still running but no throttle then i realize the air filter is gone. I may ran for 10 minutes through some pretty dusty conditions with no air filter. I shut it off and started praying, i hop i didn't kill it........................