RC Qualifier

battery connector question

My buddy races his slash at a local track and uses the Lipo batteries. He changed the connectors to the Deans type. So is there any good reason to replace the Traxxas connector on the speed control with a Deans? why couldnt you still keep the Traxxas connector and buy a lipo with a traxxas connector??

Im gonna buy a Slash soon and was thinking why go thru that work of soldering on a Deans connector?
    Been on here for a while but forgot my original username.

RC Champion
    usually people change their connectors to either work with their current charger or ESC set up, they have used that particular connector for years and they dont want to change what works, or simply because the local champ or local hobby shop uses or recommends that style connector.

I use all traxxas connectors - even on my Team Associated and AXIAL cars. Works for me - and all my chargers have it so by bother - right?

Deans is a bit easier to take on and off, I have to admit. But ther is something to be said for the tight fit of a traxxas plug in a bashing vehicle - if a battery flies out - I can still drive it back to me to put it back in the holder - they dont fly off into the great open yander and I am forced to walk over to my car....its remote controlled for a reason - am I wrong?!?! LOL

Some people believe dean's is better,maybe they are?
    I have stayed with traxxas because I don't care for the way the male end comes out of the charger,open and easy to short out if you hit it against something.
    But then again,you shouldn't have the charger on if it's not plunged into the battery anyway.
    And some people like running thicker wire,and the traxxas connecters can be a pain to use thicker wires on.
    Imo,it's personal preference.
    I prefer traxxas.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Meh, I see it as personal preference. I like the Traxxas style, but I'll probably switch to bullet because all of my batteries are direct style and it looks clean to me. Some people prefer the way a certian connector solders or assembles or even (like me) looks. Back in the olden days, we would solder direct to the battery bar or use old-style Deans mini-pins, because those were the readily available high current choices. Now, unless you can run all three heats and the main without being marshalled, I don't think that there is much difference between the high current connectors as long as they are soldered and assembled correctly.

RC Qualifier
    It's a personal preference for most people. Some people might argue that one is better then the other. Personally going to deans just made it easier for myself. Didn't have to change anything on the esc or charger. Both work fine and get the job done...
    2wd slash, PL LCG, CC 3800, Powerstrokes, S6040

RC Qualifier
    I've seen people do tests and deans and trx connectors are identical performance wise. It's all about preference. I use trx because I started out with it and I like how big the connectors are makes it easier to not pull on the wires when your unplugging stuff.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I was using Dean's connectors long before the TRX ones came out and I like them so why change everything? Personal preference really......

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10