Thread: Rollcage

RC Qualifier

Rollcage

Just found this, not sure if anyone else is interested,

http://www.vgracing.com/mm5/merchant...Code=VGR-Rally
    waiting for Traxxas to make something new!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Restlessrustler View Post
    Just found this, not sure if anyone else is interested,

http://www.vgracing.com/mm5/merchant...Code=VGR-Rally
    I was at my buddy's shop today, he owns VG Racing and has built the cage posted here. Here is the cage with the body off.
    Currently he has them for the Rally only, but is working on one for the LCG Slash 4X4. It also addresses the issue of chassis flex by the multiple mounting points on the chassis. He is also working on a one piece chassis brace much like the one I built. Sorry for the blurry pic, I didn't realize it was blurry until after I left the shop.

AB

[IMG][/IMG]
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Qualifier
    That looks good! Got anymore pics, id like to see the mounting points.
    waiting for Traxxas to make something new!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Restlessrustler View Post
    That looks good! Got anymore pics, id like to see the mounting points.
    Sorry, I only took one. I'll get better shots next week!

AB

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    That cage looks really good! That's one of the things I have yet to run. To me they makes access tough. I do see this one has a nice opening for installing/ removing the battery and tinkering on the chassis.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    [IMG][/IMG]Well, sorry it took so long, but i finally got some better pics of the rally roll cage. He also finished the 1 piece chassis brace based on my build. The new brace bolts through the body, into the bulkheads using 4 bolts. It is a steel tube welded to the flanges, and come powder coated in a variety of colors.
    AB

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Go to www.vgracing.com for info

AB

RC Qualifier
    Chassis brace is nice. Any thoughts on this one compared to the axis. This looks like it might be a better choice due to where it mounts. The axis goes on top of the shock towers if I'm not mistaken. The lower mounting of the vg racing brace seems like it would provide more strength.

RC Qualifier
    I notice it will also prevent you from moving the rx box to the front of the chassis. That stinks.

I don't see the additional mounting points you talked about. It looks about like the same mount as my Integy. Not saying I wouldn't buy one of these, I just don't see the improved mount.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I compared the axis to the one pictured above by vg racing. I'm not sure where the integy one mounts. I don't waste my money on their junk.

Believe me, I'm a Integyhater, but the rollcages are a good product, especially for the money. The last one was about $35 shipped for my Sl4sh.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
    Chassis brace is nice. Any thoughts on this one compared to the axis. This looks like it might be a better choice due to where it mounts. The axis goes on top of the shock towers if I'm not mistaken. The lower mounting of the vg racing brace seems like it would provide more strength.
    You're absolutely correct. The Axis brace is NOT a chassis brace, it is sold as a BODY brace, which is why it comes with the piece of foam to support the body. It works better than nothing, in that it BOXES the whole chassis assembly, even though it is not mounted directly to the chassis. What would make that assembly stronger would be aluminum shock towers, as the plastic ones flex, and can break. The 1-piece VG brace mounts directly through the chassis, to the bulkheads, using the 4 mounting bolts.

I notice it will also prevent you from moving the rx box to the front of the chassis. That stinks.
    I have the brace I designed on 3 of my LCG chassis, and run the MMP 2400 systems using the stock battery box with no issues.

AB

RC Qualifier
    Pictures of yours with mmp 2400?

RC Qualifier
    Here you go, actually the Rally has a 2800Kv 550 can motor by Castle, and the Slash has the ET2400 from the funny car, which is also Castle.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I used an STRC ESC mounting plate with 3M double sided tape to mount the ESC.
    AB

RC Qualifier
    I have the snappy esc mount. Not sure if that will fit.

RC Qualifier
    I have the snappy esc mount. Not sure if that will fit.
    It won't. I bought one too, didn't use it. The STRC plate works great. Just use some double sided ESC mounting tape.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have 1 in aluminum, & 1 in CF.

AB
    Last edited by aburg2; 05-30-2013 at 01:40 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the pictures. I already have the snappy. I planned on using that to mount the esc then move the rx box to the front of the chassis. That obviously won't work with the vg brace. Now I have to decide what to do. I do like the idea of the extra protection for the chassis. But I already have the snappy mount and don't have the chassis brace. Decisions, decisions. Lol

RC Qualifier
    I was just lookin at the pics, it looks like the VG brace is only about a half inch above the mounting holes for the RX mount. I think you can make a spacer & raise the RX box up a bit with longer screws. I'll know better tomorrow when I put mine on.
    AB

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    I was just lookin at the pics, it looks like the VG brace is only about a half inch above the mounting holes for the RX mount. I think you can make a spacer & raise the RX box up a bit with longer screws. I'll know better tomorrow when I put mine on.
    AB
    Let me know if a couple of washers (spacers) works with raising the Rx box for the VG Chassis brace to fit. Not sure that I need it but would be nice to know. Mine shipped out Thursday. So I should be getting mine this next week hopefully.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    That rollbar looks cool, but it looks like it will really effect the CG of the car quite a bit.
    DJ

Rustler,Slash 4X4, 1/10 Rally

RC poster
    Hi guys , haven't been on for a while and was about to mention the number of center driveshafts I am going through that center brace seems to be what I need but being in AUS I will have to make my own I guess

thanks Rodney

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by borntobnude View Post
    Hi guys , haven't been on for a while and was about to mention the number of center driveshafts I am going through that center brace seems to be what I need but being in AUS I will have to make my own I guess

thanks Rodney
    I guess it's quite expensive to ship to down under??? I made my own a while ago, it's not to hard. PM me for details.

AB

RC poster
    If one gets made for the 4x4 LCG, I'd like to know about it, please.
    Thanks!