RC poster

Cool problem: shock screws backing out: solved!

I've been plagued by the shoulder screws backing out, the ones at the top of the rear shocks on my 2wd slash (Traxxas 3x12mm Shoulder Screws (Ultra Shocks) ). Tried making them tighter until i stripped it and had to replace the shock tower and still I had the problem.
    I just found spare parts in my kit that fixed the problem nicely. Two 3x25mm screws, two 3mm locknuts, and two plastic shoulders from the shock parts tree that came with the slash. Won't back out, and not too much trouble to dismount, but you could also use 3x20mm screws and no locknuts to just get a lot more thread into the shock tower plastic.
    I don't know what the plastic shoulder is supposed to used for on the shock, it's not on the exploded diagrams, but it fits perfectly into the shock cap hole. The shoulder is at the upper left and lower left of the parts tree in the photo.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    You can shave the plastic nubs off the shock tower, thread the screw through the opposite direction, and use 2 locknuts. one behind, and 1 in front of the shock. This way you can just remove 1 lock nut, and the shock will come off. The screw stays in the tower. Much easier that way
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Sorry about the pic,but if you look you can see what rag6 is saying,look at how the lock nut is on the front.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-12-2013 at 10:42 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC poster
    I like that better, next time i take the shock off I'll put the nut in front. I think I'll skip on shaving the tower and using two nuts, tho, just the screw and one locknut will be enough for me. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for sharing, brik! Simple, effective solutions rule!
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    That little plastic shoulder is intended to be used exactly as you used it! With plastic caps, the shoulder screws work perfectly, however, aluminum caps seem to have more "traction" somehow, and will loosen shoulder screws, so the plastic shoulder/ regular screw combo is the cure. The long screw from the back/ plastic shoulder/ locknut is a great fix, too, or, if you want to be really trick, various manufacturers make a threaded ball and spacer for upper shock mounts, crawler/ buggy style. What's really nice about this setup is the fact that it makes it almost impossible to bend the upper shock mount screw.