RC Enthusiast

STABONE’S SLASH 4x4 Rally 4X4 GT8 HYBRID BUILD

New to the boards so I thought I would post information on my build to get some tips and advice. New to the RC Hobby, it has taken me by the wallet more than I ever imagined. What a great hobby! My last RC was a grasshopper, so all this new stuff is kind of crazy to me, but the speed they now produce and the beatings they can take are amazing. So I have finally ordered all the parts for my monster of a car. I am looking to build a car for looks, speed, bashing, and racing. I started out as just a basher about a month ago, and I have since decided I want to see my slash do things it was not designed for. I am looking to hit a high top speed while having a look to make people be like, dang that's a Slash under there. Right now I just have the LGC chassis stripped. I expect all my parts to be here by the end of the week. I still have not got a 3S Lipo to really test what this thing can do, but would like to get one to use before I am all setup. Any suggestions on what 3S LIPO to buy? I am going to be running 23/50 for my gearing. Any other suggestions with the everything I have listed below? Does anyone think I will have any luck using this car as a racer with making a couple of changes? Just looking for some tips or advice before I start putting all the pieces together. Will post pics as my build starts coming along. This is my second Slash 4x4! Looking forward to hear from you all.

Slash 4x4 Ultimate Edition 6807L
    Slash 4x4 Kings Head LCG Aluminum Motor Mount
    Tekin RX8/Redline T8 1/8th Scale Buggy Brushless ESC/Motor Combo 2650kV
    Tekin Hotwire USB Interface
    MIP X-DUTY Keyed Rear CVD Kit
    MIP 17MM Hex Adaptor
    Traxxas Tall Battery Hold Down
    RPM Front A Arms
    Sway Bar Full Kit
    Traxxas LGC Motor Plate
    Traxxas 32P Center Differential Spur Gear (50T)
    Traxxas .8 Mod Spur Gear (50T)
    Robinson Racing Extra Hard Steel 5mm Bore .8 Mod Pinion Gear (23T)
    Traxxas Revo Slipper Clutch Rebuild Kit
    Protek R/C 5x11x4mm Metal Shielded "Speed" Clutch Bearings (10)
    SupaSales On-road Thread 1/8 Buggy Tire W/BS rim
    SupaSales Pre-Mounted Racing Spike Tires 1/8 Buggy
    Protoform 1/8 PF8-GT Clear Body
    JConcepts 0064 - Illuzion - Manta Body

I also have purchased everything to go from Slash 4X4 to a Rally 4X4

RC Racer
    Nice! Can't wait to see pics

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    ohh, i see what your doing here, when you feel the need for bashing offroad you swap things around from onroad set-up to off-road set-up, nice!!
    just a heads up, the PF8 body with stock lenght arms and 17mm hexes with onroad buggy wheels/tires....your wheels are a bit tucked in. you can fixed that with protrac arms, if you care how it looks.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Enthusiast
    That's what I am shooting for. What other mods are require for those longer arms?

Quote Originally Posted by Stabone View Post
    That's what I am shooting for. What other mods are require for those longer arms?
    nothing much, just need a set of longer toe links/steering link (tekno sell them). since you already have the MIP you just have to get the longer shafts (male).

RC Qualifier
    Those protek metal shielded 5x11x4 bearings I assume are for wheel bearings. They are terrible, I didn't even get one run before one of them exploded and all the balls fell out. Used all ten to keep the back end running. Those parts equal allot of fun, welcome to the overpowered club.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Youve got a few redundant parts on your list. Thought maybe I could save you some money.

The Ultimate edition comes with front and rear sway bars already installed. It also comes with all 3 available spurs for the centre differential. So you dont need to buy those.

The LCG motor plate isnt really an upgrade. So far, there are really no "aftermarket" motor plates that do anything the stock one doesnt. I have the hot racing plate. I ordered it without seeing a picture thinking it would include the little heat sinks all the other hot racing plates ive ever bought have had. it doesnt. Just stick with the stock motor plate.

The clutch bearings arent going to do you any good either. If you use the king headz mount it comes with an oversized bearing so nothing else is needed. I wouldnt bother with the slipper rebuild kit. Id go with a hot racing double slipper kit OR go with aluminum pads. Either way, the big motor is going to be hard on the stock fibre pads.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    I want to thank everyone for helping me with this build. Pictures are coming soon. Putting everything together as we speak. Received my PF8 body this weekend, still deciding what color to paint that thing. Also about to submit an order to get the Pro-Line ProTrac Suspension Kit (Slash 4x4) and the Tekno RC Big Bone Center Driveshaft & Outdrive Kit. Had a question about the ProTrac suspension kit though, will it work without extending the stock front axles or the rear MIP? I have too much money into this thing now, and I think the wife is starting to catch on to the spending of this vehicle. I am trying not to put any more money in it without running it first. LOL Hoping to run this thing for the first time this weekend.
    The extra parts I have listed should have had a reason as to why they are on there.
    · I broke the sway bars on the ultimate before I started this project.
    · I missed that I already had the spur gear, but I guess an extra will not hurt
    · The LGC motor plate is for the T8 motor so I could keep the motor plate on the Stock system
    · So No slipper upgrade to the REVO? I had the parts to finish that in my cart and will hold off for now.

I also guess I made a mistake with the Ball Bearings? Any suggestions on the correct ones to purchase?

Also about to submit an order to get the Pro-Line ProTrac Suspension Kit (Slash 4x4) and the Tekno RC Big Bone Center Driveshaft & Outdrive Kit. Had a question about the ProTrac suspension kit though, will it work without extending the stock front axles or the rear MIP?
    I have a description in post #51 about the protrac arms, scroll to the bottom. It says it will work with stock axles.

I have too much money into this thing now, and I think the wife is starting to catch on to the spending of this vehicle.
    I hear that one mate...my wife questions the money I spend on this hobby all the time.

I also guess I made a mistake with the Ball Bearings? Any suggestions on the correct ones to purchase?
    Go through the exploded views for bearing sizes. A quick look and this is what I come up with, for all stock parts:

King Headz motor mount will come with a spare bearing

5 x 11 x 4...Spur gear - 1
    10 x 15 x 4...Diff - 2 (1 per diff)
    8 x 16 x 5...Diff - 2 (1 per diff)
    6 x 12 x 4...Front Diff - 2 (pinion gear)
    12 x 18 x 4...Rear Diff - 1 (pinion gear)
    5 x 8...Bell Crank - 4
    5 x 11 x 4...Rear Wheels - 4
    5 x 11 x 4...Front Wheels - 2
    10 x 15 x 4...Front Wheels - 2

I think I got them all...hope that helps mate.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    I really appreciate the info on bearing sizes. I am looking for witch brand is good to buy from or are the Traxxas bearings fine to get. What brand are you running? The stock ones seem to be junk but I am still all new to this so I know that I know nothing. How do I post pis of my build here?

I use Advantage racing bearings...they do just fine for me.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    And the pictures???
    Dusty Motors shrouds

RC Enthusiast
    So the SLASH 4x4 Rally 4X4 GT8 HYBRID has finally been test driven. WOW is
    all I can say. This car is an absolute beast, a little bit scary to drive. I
    will have pics posted here in a few, also working on uploading a video of
    the car performing. I do have some questions for you all though. The motor
    seemed to get very hot on my run. Is this normal with 23/50 gearing on the
    2650KV motor? I just purchased a 19T and a 16T Pinion gear to try and gear
    this thing down. Also, I am really confused on which LIPO batteries I can
    use in this car. The person at the LHS said I should not run any 2s LIPO
    that is not at least a 50C battery. Is this true?
    Last edited by Stabone; 03-27-2013 at 02:39 PM.

RC Enthusiast

RC Enthusiast

RC Enthusiast

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Very true indeed! A lesser rated battery will simply starve the esc and motor. Use the amp formula to get your ratings on a battery as follows mah x c rating ÷ 1000= possible amps (if the battery is labeled with real # and not bull)
    So 5000(mah) x 50(c) ÷ 1000= 250amps..... This is the the ability of a true 5000mah 50c battery. Now take a look at the info that comes with your motor/esc combo. What does the manufacturer suggest for minimum amps feeding that beast? Shop for a battery using this formula to deliver those amps and more.
    great looking car by the way! 2s? You mean 2x2s
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

nice looking Rally GT8 indeed. my suggestion...cut some of the wing down you dont want too much drag. i cut mine half way down maybe even more.

How low does the chassis sit to the ground, and how does it handle on road? I am trying to decide if I want to convert to a rally chassis or get an aftermarket one. I have a slash 4x4 and really want to convert it to a road car.
    Don’t handicap children by making life easy

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    How low does the chassis sit to the ground, and how does it handle on road? I am trying to decide if I want to convert to a rally chassis or get an aftermarket one. I have a slash 4x4 and really want to convert it to a road car.
    mine is sitting a little below 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    mine is sitting a little below 1/2".
    Sounds like the rally chassis is the way for me to go! I don't want it to close since the roads aren't perfect anywhere and I may still want some offroad ability if only a little!

Do you have a video of your rally Humay?
    Don’t handicap children by making life easy

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    Do you have a video of your rally Humay?
    yes i do, heres my recent video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUWENmsmiVU

Nice one mate...looking good!
    Rock n Rolla !