RC Racer

If someone gave you $660?

So I've posted on here a few times about purchasing an E-Maxx and things have happened along the way that have hindered that.. But recently I was compensated by United Airlines with a check for $667.60, so my plan right now (baring another happening..) is to finally get myself an E-maxx. So my question to you guys is what would you do with the check? Also opinions on what I should get with that amount of money available, I am very new to the hobby and would love some opinions from veterans. Thanks!

RC Competitor
    If your very new to the hobby, I would start with something a bit simpler like the Stampede. The Emaxx is fantastic, but it is also big, heavy, and a bit complex to work on...then again, that's half the fun.

RC Racer
    Since you are new to the hobby, I would go with a brushed E-Maxx. They are reliable, can take a heck of a beating, plus they are waterproof unlike the brushless version. This should leave you with a few extra $ to invest in a good charger and batteries which are a must.

Don't forget to take in consideration where you will be driving it the majority of the time. If it's going to be on pavement 90% of the time something like a Rustler might be a better option. But for anything offroad the E-Maxx is the way to go in my opinion.

I have been driving mine for a few years now and it's still a blast every time I take it out. Also, down the road you always have the option of converting to brushless, and there is basically an unlimited supply of mods you can do to this truck.
    E-MAXX 3905 + Villain IV + Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Skink910 View Post
    So I've posted on here a few times about purchasing an E-Maxx and things have happened along the way that have hindered that.. But recently I was compensated by United Airlines with a check for $667.60, so my plan right now (baring another happening..) is to finally get myself an E-maxx. So my question to you guys is what would you do with the check? Also opinions on what I should get with that amount of money available, I am very new to the hobby and would love some opinions from veterans. Thanks!
    Being new to the hobby is a great way to learn.. by -"just doing"- it will last thru your "learning curve" just fine as you don't beat the crap out of it and jump it 20ft or more- I just spent $650 on a brushed one (the truck, upgrades, and batteries/charger) BUT I am RC experienced so I knew the parts to get to "save time/money"

I would get since you're new to them-
    3903 E-maxx (The brushed version)
    2 5000mAh 8.4v NIMH batteries
    good charger (Like a Dynamite Passport ultra) that way when you get used to the NIMH batteries you can upgrade to 2 7.4v Lipo's for more power and not have to get a new charger
    I would also get some shock oils as well- like 50wt and 60wt to tune the suspension a bit when you start to get comfortable with working on the truck

A word of advice from me is - IF you buy a new kit - break the motors in at low speed - in Distilled water for about 20 minutes.. there are video's on Youtube on how to do it..

You can always post up any problems you have on here- lot's of smart guy's on here!
    Last edited by Zac_F71; 03-12-2013 at 07:57 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks guys so much! As for being brand new to the hobby, I'm not 100% new, I owned a Tmaxx a while back when i was a little younger and loved it. Now being a little older, I would like to get into the hobby at least a little, but definitely want to go electric (gas was to much of a hassle). I have been looking into buying off of a forum or buying a used Emaxx, just so maybe i can find a deal and save some money but if i cant find a deal soon than i will most likely be purchasing a new one.

Also I posted on here before about chargers, and I didnt really understand some of what people were saying. It seemed that the best option for a charger was to use a power supply and a para board, but i dont know what a para board is and I am wondering how i know what size power supply to get. So if any one could maybe explain this to me in a simpler way that would be great!

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Also I posted on here before about chargers, and I didnt really understand some of what people were saying. It seemed that the best option for a charger was to use a power supply and a para board, but i dont know what a para board is and I am wondering how i know what size power supply to get. So if any one could maybe explain this to me in a simpler way that would be great!
    I prefer buying an all-in-one unit myself, instead of having silly power supplies all over the place. I have this charger and love it so far:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBKAK&P=ML

If that's a little pricey for you, this is good too:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAZZS&P=ML

As for batteries, don't worry about nimh. You seem like a smart guy, a little research and you should be able to handle lipos perfectly safely. Check out these ones:
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-50c-50...22-direct.html
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

"Silly power supplies," well that is indeed funny to me. For the price of that 24A/200W quad charger, one can buy a FMA Powerlab 6 (40A/1000W single charger) and a 600W power supply. Of course then you could get a ParaBoard to convert the Powerlab 6 into a 6-battery charger, still for the same price as the Hitec. Quad chargers are great for charging small packs of different chemistries at the same time. And they can be pretty compact. That's where their advantages end. For an E-Maxx you can do better.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

check this out about your charger info and how to pick, charge, what not about what you need to know.
    https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Racer
    This is my exact problem haha, some chargers I see are 450 bucks and than someone links one or says to build something and it will be cheaper and better. I dont mind building a charger, as long as it is worth it. The only problem is that Im not 100% sure that I understand everything that goes with building a charger with a power supply and all, but I dont mind doing some research and learning about it, once again if its worth it.

This is what Jimmie Newtron said on my other post about chargers. Everyone on here seems to agree that he is very knowledgeable and can be trusted. This set up is only $130, which is much cheaper than what I've seen with all-in-ones. The problem with it is that I dont know what size, amp, wattage to get in a power supply for charging properly. Also I have no idea what a Paraborad is lol. I will try to do some research on my own, but any help you guys can provide is great!

10amp iCharger 106B: $90ish
    Power Supply: $20ish
    ParaBoard: $20ish
    Total: $130 and you can safely charge up to 6 same cell count LiPo batteries.

You can double the amperage with a 20 amp 206B for $35 more.

check this out about your charger info and how to pick, charge, what not about what you need to know.
    https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos
    Thank you for this! I will be reading through this!

RC Racer
    I have the duratrax onyx 245 and that's really all u need for the emaxx and it comes with all the common connectors. $119 from tower hobbies

RC Champion
    i been using a traxxas easy peak plus. im in no hurry when charging. if i was there is a 2s, and 3s adaptor avaliable to charge 2 lipos. the easy peak plus is in the 70-80 dollar range. balance charge is all i use. it is a great charger imo. my e-maxx is a happy camper,
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

This is my exact problem haha, some chargers I see are 450 bucks and than someone links one or says to build something and it will be cheaper and better. I dont mind building a charger, as long as it is worth it. The only problem is that Im not 100% sure that I understand everything that goes with building a charger with a power supply and all, but I dont mind doing some research and learning about it, once again if its worth it.

This is what Jimmie Newtron said on my other post about chargers. Everyone on here seems to agree that he is very knowledgeable and can be trusted. This set up is only $130, which is much cheaper than what I've seen with all-in-ones. The problem with it is that I dont know what size, amp, wattage to get in a power supply for charging properly. Also I have no idea what a Paraborad is lol. I will try to do some research on my own, but any help you guys can provide is great!

10amp iCharger 106B: $90ish
    Power Supply: $20ish
    ParaBoard: $20ish
    Total: $130 and you can safely charge up to 6 same cell count LiPo batteries.

You can double the amperage with a 20 amp 206B for $35 more.

Thank you for this! I will be reading through this!
    no problem as it helped me better understand stuff i was confused about and didnt understand. Icharger 206b and power supply plus paraboard from progressiverc.com is all you will need for a long long time. the power supply is that cheap because you would need to convert it to power your icharger which there is a thread in the Ally about converting a power supply by Jimmie Neutron.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    no problem as it helped me better understand stuff i was confused about and didnt understand. Icharger 206b and power supply plus paraboard from progressiverc.com is all you will need for a long long time. the power supply is that cheap because you would need to convert it to power your icharger which there is a thread in the Ally about converting a power supply by Jimmie Neutron.
    Yeah this power supply thing seems like the way to go, and if I happen to really take this hobby further, I feel like it would be worth it in the end. Also What do you mean by a thread "in the Ally", I would like to take a look at it

RC Racer
    Also What do you mean by a thread "in the Ally", I would like to take a look at it
    LOL maybe if I actually looked I could have figured it out :P

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...sting-Tutorial

right here. its very helpful i use google to host my pics since i have a gmail account. if you have a gmail account already you have their picture hosting place already then its called picasa i have it as a chrome browser extension.