RC Qualifier

hard case? soft case? c rating?

what are the main differences between a hard case and a soft case lipo? also What is the lipo c rating for the higher the better right?
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Champion
    Hard case is that hard case, soft case is like cells are wrapped in a large piece of heat shrink tubing. I am a basher and have run just soft case lipos with NO problems. I think c rating is related to output or punch BUT I AM NO EXPERT ON C.

RC Qualifier
    okay thanks for the info....... could sure use more help about lipo c rating though
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The C rating helps you calculate what amperage the pack is capable of... and is quite tricky because there are no industry standards for measuring C. Which means that if I wanted to rate my cell phone battery at 1.2million C I could... it would be a total lie, but I could. But, thankfully, there are brands out there that are honest about their C ratings... SPC and Traxxas just to name two.

To calculate the constant discharge rate of your pack
    mAh x minimum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example:
    The same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 20 / 1000 = 44
    This battery pack can consistently provide up to 44 amps.

To calculate the peak/burst discharge rate of your pack
    mAh x maximum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example:
    Again, the same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 40 / 1000 = 88
    This battery pack can provide a peak discharge rate of up to 88 amps.
    Peak rates are limited in time... unfortunately, this amount of time does not have an industry standard. This is how a lot of inflated discharge ratings can be claimed. In my experience, honest retailers/manufactures of packs will list the constant discharge rating along with the burst discharge rating and not only the burst rating.

Ratings
    When setting up your power system for your RC, make sure that the lower discharge C rate matches or beats the continuous amperage rating of the ESC. I try to beat it by at least 10%. This practice will provide you the most out of your system and it will also keep your batteries from working too hard. A LiPo should NEVER be warm... during use or charging. If it is, you are abusing the pack. Also, the less your pack has to work the longer it will last.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.