RC Enthusiast

Question When will my 3.3 die?

I have a 3.3 engine in my jato and I have put in over 3 gallons of nitrous and it's still driving like the day I got it and I don't see anything going wrong just yet. I'm only asking when the engine will die because the guy at the hobby store said 3-4 gallons of nitrous. Just curious but how long have you had your engines running???

Never ran one on Nitrous. But I have many that went 8 gallons+ on Nitro fuel...
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    Never ran one on Nitrous. But I have many that went 8 gallons+ on Nitro fuel...
    Oops that's what I meant lol but dang! I guess it just depends on how well you tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by CDD21 View Post
    Oops that's what I meant lol but dang! I guess it just depends on how well you tune it.
    Yes, that and proper maintenance (of course).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    If you get to 4 gallons that is a very good life for 3.3. Mine broke the connecting rod at 2 gallons. This seems to be the weakest link of the engine.

RC Qualifier
    Connecting rod blew on mine too @ 3 gallons. Approximately 4 - 5 gallons is average. All depends on tune and after run maintenance. Temp gun helps with tune a lot. Always do after run maintenance religiously !! Clean air filter too
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Competitor
    All
    Are you guys saying complete engine replacement after 4 gallons (avg)? Or quick break down of engine, clean, re-build?

RC Competitor
    Most likely at 4 gallons if the connecting rod doesn't break. Anyway by this point if the internals of engine is intact. The compression will be lost anyway. So starting will be very difficult in warm engine and once it starts engine is very sluggish and hard to keep it running. You could even hear by the abnormal sound which you didn't hear before. As for the rebuild piston sleeve and connecting rod are the norm.

My first ever nitro engine (3.3) lasted about 5 gallons; it was the one I learned to tune with and saw high heat until I learned how to tune. Split a rod? Nope. Had the sleeve repinched and still using the same piston/sleeve/rod.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I rebuilt mine because I wanted too, but I think it was more expensive than the trade in program. I think I got around 4 gallons in my Revo 3.3. I have more than that on both my Jato's. I think the weight plays a big factor on it as well. Plus my jato has better air flow through the motor.
    --
    Nitro-J-Rod

First nitro lasted about 4-5 gallons, still performed but it was loosing power... Nitro tuning/learning curve for certain. Rebuilt it, went 12 gallons and I was trying to kill it because the 3.3 just came out and I wanted an excuse to say honey I need a new engine!!!!

After that, the 3.3 I had went 8 gallons then rebuilt that one, it now has 4 gallons running strong, then my other 3.3 just had 8 gallons on it and I have rebuilt that one but with cermic bearings, porting and polishing...

Piston and sleeve & conrod can bve purchased on Ebay for $60.00
    NEw 3.3 pulled off a new truck Ebay for $105.00

Conrods split due to high temps, high rpms, poor tuning... In every case I have had in my hands... That's a few. Also had other Nitro RC's with stretched conrod's due to the same reasons...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Im on my 10th gallon and it is stronger than ever.

RC Enthusiast
    It is hard to kill the 33 I have that more in all eight of my trucks have never broken one have wore a couple out

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    Im on my 10th gallon and it is stronger than ever.
    I lost count! If you don't lean it out too much, keep it clean after run, and keep the engine temperature below 220, it will last forever!

RC Qualifier
    Well it turns out 13 was my unlucky number. Just broke the rod, compression still strong. Cheep rebuild.