RC Qualifier

Hairspray for tire removal

Can anyone confirm that this works I have heard about it but am not so sure?
    You ain't bashin unless your crashin!!

RC Champion
    never heard of this method. Sounds fake to me
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

Hairspray?!? That's a new one. I really don't think it would work... I mean, you have to soak tires in acetone to get them off! Acetone burns your skin, and is more like an acid. I don't see how somthing that's meant to hold hair can remove CA glue. If it did work, then that would really make me question what's in hairspray.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Alright well I'll give it a try and see if anything happens

RC Qualifier
    Ok so I tried it and didnt work..I don't know what I saw but it sure wasn't that hairspray can remove ca glue

RC Champion
    I have heard some guys trying nail polish remover, as it does contain acetone, But if you want to go this route, the pure acetone is what you want.

IMO the best method is baking in the oven. I have done it numerous times and works like a charm. I personally have never used the acetone method, and have done the boiling in the past. I find the baking to be cleanest and easiest way to do it.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dave00bear View Post
    I have heard some guys trying nail polish remover, as it does contain acetone, But if you want to go this route, the pure acetone is what you want.

IMO the best method is baking in the oven. I have done it numerous times and works like a charm. I personally have never used the acetone method, and have done the boiling in the past. I find the baking to be cleanest and easiest way to do it.
    Cleanest and easiest, but it is definitely the smelliest
    SUMMIT |MERV * FIVE-T * REVO-E| T- MAXX-E

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxxasSummitCrawler View Post
    Cleanest and easiest, but it is definitely the smelliest
    Yes true, there is a distinct odor but open a window turn on a fan, it goes away fairly quick.

RC Qualifier
    So does that method ruin the foam inserts? Or have any other affects?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by eschmitt4 View Post
    So does that method ruin the foam inserts? Or have any other affects?
    It will ruin chrome wheels.
    ERBE
    Savage Flux XL
    Trail finder 2

RC Qualifier
    Ok thanks I think I might try the baking method..does the stink stay in the oven? Is it safe to make food in afterwards?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    It will ruin chrome wheels.
    I have done it with a few sets of chrome all-stars, a rear set of all-star black chromes. Did not ruin/nor discolor the chrome. But everyone may have different results.

I heat my oven way hot like 500į then turn it off, Then immediately put in the tires/wheels, I always wrap the tires/wheels in aluminum foil and have them on a cookie sheet. And usually bout 10 mins later, the tires just peel off the rims. USE GLOVES AS THEY WILL BE HOT!

Again this is based solely on my own experience. There are all different methods others prefer to use.

RC Qualifier
    Oh that's convenient because my badlands are mounted on black all stars! How do you know when they are "ready"

I've tried the oven trick, you try that with soft compound tires and you won't be happy with the hunk of goo on the baking sheet in the oven...

Being in the racing scene, at first I went through a lot of different tire selections in the learning process... With that a lot of tire removal and mounting and gluing have taken place... The guys at the track liked my work so I was like the darn Firestone garage at one point...

If you have chromed surfaced plastic rims, acetone will have a tendency to take the chrome off where the glue was.... Otherwise it works well, but use gloves, and do this outside or in a VERY WELL ventilated area.... Acetone can poison you and be absorbed directly through the skin.

Now my best all around method... boiling.... Get an old pot, of you have a BBQ outside with a side burner even better... It won't smell but it usually makes the women folk happier and keeps me off the couch.. loll.

Bring the water up to a full boil before putting in the tires, use a set of tongues to put them in or a long stick so the water does not splash you. Don't want burns just tire removal....
    Occasionally push the tires under the water and stir them a little and do this for 15-20 minutes...

Now hear's the hard part, take them out and place them somewhere to cool,,, leave them alone until they are cool... The water inside the rim will stay hot for a while, so the longer you leave them, the better you are...

Then just apply pressure at the bead and the CA glue will be brittle and let go... Dry out your foams and your done.

Want to know some decent mounting/gluing tips? I wrote this up a few years ago,,, That boy in the pics is taller than me now...
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...t=Tire+Glueing
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 03-15-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Oh thanks notronaught..I didn't look at this thread in a little while so I didn't see your response...thanks a lot for that info!

If you think baking will ruin foams and stinks, try some acetone. On the plus side wheels dipped in acetone should dye easily! I did the bake method but did it on my grill which has a thermometer on the lid, it worked really well. I wasn't trying to get the tires off in one piece though just salvaging the wheels.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    If you think baking will ruin foams and stinks, try some acetone. On the plus side wheels dipped in acetone should dye easily! I did the bake method but did it on my grill which has a thermometer on the lid, it worked really well. I wasn't trying to get the tires off in one piece though just salvaging the wheels.
    Did you melt your tire or something then?

Quote Originally Posted by eschmitt4 View Post
    Did you melt your tire or something then?
    No didn't melt anything but the tires were trashed, they were stock canyons. They tear quite easily when hot, or cold for that matter.
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    No didn't melt anything but the tires were trashed, they were stock canyons. They tear quite easily when hot, or cold for that matter.
    Yea iv heard that the traxxas tires don't like the oven too much