RC Competitor

Motor bad.... maybe?

I have a Titan 12T motor that I think may be bad. But let's give ypu guys the background story.
    I was testing out a battery given to me, and I wanted to make sure it held charge, so I ran it at near full throttle (just like every other time I drive) in laps around a field near my house. The battery seemed to be okay. So when it died, I put my Lipo (2s 50c) back into my truck. I did a little bit of bashing this time, but I heard a weird noise and assumed thay a stick was caught in the suspension. Sure enough there was, but when my finger grazed the motor it was really hot. I'm talking like cauterized I tiny piece of my skin. So I turned it off immediately and let it sit. I bring it home and after it cools, it doesn't roll freely at all backwards. I run the motor and I hear a grinding sound. Not sure what that was all about. So I tore the trans apart and relubed it (I used 30k diff lube per recommendation from my LHS), and spray out the motor with compressed air. I then reassembled it, amd relinked the motor just to be safe. But when I ran it against my fathers ( same battery, tires, same age everything) my trucks top speed was far less. I'd say 80%. So, is the motor bad, the diff lube too thick, the slipper clutch adjusted wrong? I don't know where to go from here. I doubled checked And it is sport mode, not training. I just wanted peoples thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-11-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: thread merge

RC Qualifier
    If you're running a 2s lipo on that stock xl5 titan system you really have to watch the temps, you probably overheated it, you're running 30k weight diff. oil in the stock tranny???

RC Qualifier
    I ran Lipo on my slash with brushed motor for 2 months all racing before it gave out. Not once did it over heat....motor could have just given out on you.
    2wd slash, PL LCG, CC 3800, Powerstrokes, S6040

Sounds like it got overheated based on cauterizing your skin. The brushed motors can get hotter than a brushless, but I think it's going bad on you. Try cleaning it with electrical motor cleaner and run it underwater to see if that helps. If not your probably looking at a new motor.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Competitor
    Okay I'm fine with getting a new one if so. But I couldn't find a safe way to run a battery straight to the motor, so can I have the motor connected to the esc and then run it in some water?
    And the weight of the diff oil should only affect traction not top speed correct?

P.S. nice Jeep. We have a 90

Yeah... first off apparently my phone posted two threads so if a mod could combine these or stop the less active one that wpuld be great.

Secondly. It was per the advise of my LHS, I trust his judgement, but I think he failed me here.
    The 30k is only in the Planetary gear, the gears have white lithium on them. And the truck will have the Castle SV3 w/ 4600kv (smallest motor offered for that package) as soon as anyone gets it in stock.

And I had only ran the Lipo that day for 2 minutes before I noticed this.
    I have raced it before with zero issues woth thay battery
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-11-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    is it the stock planet?

RC Competitor
    Yes it is.

RC Qualifier
    Dude mine was something like that but different in a way. I have a 1/16 Grave digger and it comes with a small 1200 mah battery, which doesn't put out as much power as larger batteries. and it gets it to about 20 mph but I connect a larger batter 3800 mah 6 cell and it does about 24 to 25.. my point is.... I will get too it... :P okay I put the xl-2.5 in my redcat truck 4 wheelie drive really heavy like 6 pounds it started to smoke bad then I took it out a couple days later, I was towing a 1/10 scale trailer with my 1/16 grave digger and it started smoking again after that it went so slow it was stupid. Like .5 miles I flushed it with some distilled water and lubed it oh yea I used 3 in 1 they said its okay bad idea!!!! I put too much anywho when I did the 3 in 1 the performance drop so much this was before I pulled the trailer different days tho.. any who my motor went slow and bla bla i did the water trick and it still went slow but I hook up a different battery and turned it on slow and slow the power came back to life there was a weird noise here and their but then everything went good but with my 1200 mah battery it cogs bad but slowly gets too speed with the other 3800 mah battery it is Awesome, so yea sorry it is all over the place took a long time to write this and yea so right now that how my truck runs but recently since i don’t have money for a BL I got a 15t fire bolt haven’t runned it yet cause got my truck takin away but yea! :P and the firebolt runs good with my 1200 batter so it has something to do with my Titan motor!

You put grease in the stock diff,not sealed diff 30k.
    If I understand correctly,you put sealed diff fluid in a non sealed diff.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Well it is "sealed" as in there are 4 screws that keep all of that separate from the rest of the trans. But anyways, would this affect overall speed of the vehicle.

My local hobby shop was out of grease so he suggested this stuff. I think he may have forgotten that I had a 2wd.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-11-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: merge

I don't think it would cause the motor harm, since you use the same gears with a sealed diff,but it will come out of the stock diff.
    Even the grease will work it's way out.
    For that you need a hr,or flm sealed diff.
    The titan bushings should be oiled at the least every two runs,and is not a very long lived motor,with top notch up keep,they still wont last over a couple months of hard use.
    But they only cost about $18.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackgt1 View Post
    Well it is "sealed" as in there are 4 screws that keep all of that separate from the rest of the trans. But anyways, would this affect overall speed of the vehicle.

My local hobby shop was out of grease so he suggested this stuff. I think he may have forgotten that I had a 2wd.

RC Racer
    yes because it is not sealed it dose not have rubber seals to keep it from leaking out youll have to tear it down and clean the heck out of the gearbox that is whats causeing a portion of the problem trust me this is from experience will take a while to clean out and it will return motor power a good deal but the stock diff is not a sealed diff just pack it with white grease as well and it will help or do what i did i put a #3 or #4 lock washer in there and it helps perfect limited slip diff it pushes at high speed but just let off and the throttle again and it will hit a nice powerslide out and away from the apex

Yea that's true,if that thick lube got all over the idler and ls gear it would be like putting mud in the rest of the trans.
    Quote Originally Posted by armorred_slash View Post
    yes because it is not sealed it dose not have rubber seals to keep it from leaking out youll have to tear it down and clean the heck out of the gearbox that is whats causeing a portion of the problem trust me this is from experience will take a while to clean out and it will return motor power a good deal but the stock diff is not a sealed diff just pack it with white grease as well and it will help or do what i did i put a #3 or #4 lock washer in there and it helps perfect limited slip diff it pushes at high speed but just let off and the throttle again and it will hit a nice powerslide out and away from the apex

Quote Originally Posted by Blackgt1 View Post

No it won't affect top speed, but will probably effect how fast you can get there with the improved traction.

I think he assumed you had a sealed diff. I'd let the fluid leak out over a few runs then clean it out and stuff it with wheel bearing grease or Bad Horsie diff grease. OR as mentioned above, do the 2-cent washer mod.

RC Racer
    Similar story here. My son's Slash is three weeks old. That's three weekends of short course indoor and maybe 4 couple hour driveway bashing days. Yesterday, he was in the driveway playing on a plastic bicycle jump with the Slash and all was great, he went inside to change batteries and came back out, Sat it down and punched it and it was like he was at LVD 50 percent power. It ran, but terribly slow.

I thought he grabbed the wrong battery, so I took it in and checked and it showed 8.3 volts, so I pulled the motor and flushed it with cleaner, got a flashlight and verified the brushed looked good, have each bushing a shot of Amsoil MP lube and installed it again. The brushes looked like new, the motor spun really smooth one way by hand before installing, but had an occasional hang up and click going the other. Anyways, I took it back out and I tried it and it would run the same bad way, but if I ran reverse it would start slow and suddenly pick up and start spinning the tires in reverse. Then I would go forward and it would go slow but occasionally you would hear/see it jump to full power for a second or two and then back to slow.

So, I had a spare Losi 12T from my other son's truck, and I swapped pinion and stock that in. Boom! It took off like normal and ran great.

So, even though that titan 12 turn is only a few weeks old with maybe 8 hours tops on it, and it visually looks perfect inside and out..... it's dead. It will run, but slow and no power. I arrest stopped and purchased another Traxxas Titan 12 turn for standby duty. Who knows how long the used Losi will stay in the fight.

I wonder if these "stock" motors that are turned up so radically don't really push the limits of what a brushed motor can do, and may have a resulting short service life because of the extreme speed and power that we get today compared to the brushed ROAR motors of a decade ago.

There is no doubt that these factory brushed motors are incredible compared to what we called stock motors 10 years ago. These things get it done!

Sent from a Galaxy S3, far....far away.

RC Competitor
    I contacted Traxxas and while the tech said it was way higher than what he would personally run, he doesn't think it will hurt anything. He also semt me a new Titan as a courtesy thing. woohoo!
    I put my brothers motor in there and it ran much better, but no one else was home for me to compare the speeds to my fathers.

And explain this washer mod a little more in detail?

I'm pretty sure I have pics of it on my OG basher build in the rustler forum. You take the diff apart and add a lock washer on the differential shaft in the center of the diff. Use a washer appropriate for the size of the shaft.

Be warned that it may chew up some of the surfaces it touches.

RC Racer
    Between myself and some friends we have picked up 5 stock Titan slashes between us to bash and just create carnage in general. Between the 5 different units 3 of the 5 titans have failed in less than three months. A couple did exactly what you described, another once it got warm it just stopped, my sons Titan cooked the esc... The Titan has been the most disappointing durability wise concerning the slash. My kid is on his 3 rd Titan so really it's 4 out of 6 if you are just counting motors. Meanwhile, We are all switching to the velineon and can't be happier with how it performs.

It was good we broke a bunch of arms, castors, carriers, bumpers, I ripped my bumper off the gear box, my so ripped the hinge pin off the gear box mount and now we have VXL system. Good news replaced parts are holding up (rpm, some alum).

Unfortunately the Titan is fun but does not hold up.

RC Competitor
    I'm going to the Castle SV3 system. I'll report my findings when they bece available haha. Everyone is sold out.

And we have 4 trucks just fyi
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-11-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: merge