RC Champion

xl5 issue lipo issue?

so i ran my 5300 50c lipo in my sons xl5 slash and it went forever and it barely started to slow down so i stopped running it cause the lvd kicked in. well i tested the cells on my lipo and they tested at 3.2volts each. thats kinda to low right? i thought lvd should have kicked in when each cell was around like 3.5 or so. my smaller lipo that i had ran in it before tested at about 3.5/cell when i ran it.

Not sure about the xl-5,but its big brother,the vxl-3 has two lvd modes,the first is a 50% power drop at 3.5 volts pc,the second is complete shut down at 3.2 volts pc.
    I set my castle systems at 3.2 per cell because when they hit lvd,they shut down like a switch.
    Some guys I race with,set theirs at 3.0 volts pc,I think that's cutting it to close fore me.
    But I'm pretty sure the xl-5 has the same lvd settings as the vxl-3,but I'll look it up to be sure.

Yep,the xl-5 is the same, 3.5=50% power, 3.2=Full motor shut down.
    Just looked it up.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 03-11-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Did you run it any after it went into Lvd? If so this may be why they are reading 3.2vpc, or you have an esc with an Lvd that is too low IMO, an LVA (low voltage alarm) off eBay are about $5 shipped, great investment and Has loud buzzer that goes off at set voltage per cell
    These are adjustable from 2.7-3.8vpc on the alarm, it shows individual cell voltage as well as total voltage for the pack, good for 1-8s lipos. These will keep you from ruining a battery for sure, they work well and the buzzer alarm is pretty loud, hope this helps and good luck and god bless.

Sent from my iPhone 5

RC Champion
    hey thanks guys. i will definitely look into the alarm. the lvd works well on the vxl in my rustler but with my new 5300mah 50c lipo the xl5 in my sons slash didnt kick in. i ran it yesterday and i was wondering when it was gonna kick in cause it was goin forever. then i thought i noticed it slow down just a little but not 50% power so i stopped for the night and went in to check the battery. thats when i noticed how low it was so i balance charged it to like 3.7 per cell. i think i had ran my 4000mah 40c in it before and the lvd worked like it did in my vxl.

RC Champion
    i might pick these up from ebay. any thoughts?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-1-8S-2in...item337f6ad53d

I know people with out lvd that use them,they seem to work ok,as long as your not in a noisy environment.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    they tested at 3.2volts each. thats kinda to low right?
    I wouldn't lose sleep over it. The lowest you can safely go is 3.0 volts. I had a pack test at 2.98 volts for each cell the other day. I'm not sure what its long-term life will be, but the pack charged and balanced nicely thereafter at 4.19 and 4.18 volts per cell. It just took a bit longer than usual to achieve balance...
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Qualifier
    Those will work fine I have one of those myself as well as one made by venom.

Sent from my iPhone 5