RC Racer

Clicking Noise - Transmission??

I ran my ERBE on 6S for the first couple of times and then yesterday it just kind of stopped and a loud clicking noise came from it. Now I know what you are thinking - Diffs right? Probably the rear one. I have been there before and recently replaced both the front and rear diffs and shimmed them.

So I am thinking that if i spin one wheel (e.g. back right) with my finger and the other wheel (back left) spins easily without any noise or grinding etc. then my diffs are probably fine right?? Is that a good indicator that my diffs are fine?

But when I grab both the rear wheels, or both the front wheels, and spin them forwards, they spin for maybe half a turn and then I hit resistance and if I push past it i get the big CLICK.

So is it possible that it is the transmission? I have pulled the motor and pinion away from the spur gear to make sure it isn't meshing issue.

Ideas? Way of testing if the transmission is broken??

Thank you

Take the center CVD's off and try turn the transmission...that'll tell you.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    Took the centre drive shafts off and turned the transmission... smooth as butter!

Turned the front wheels... smooth as butter

Turned the.... back wheels wont turn!

ANOTHER REAR DIFF BLOWN!!!

Last time a whole tooth had come off the ring gear! The time before that some chipped teeth, and the time before that a failed bearing scattering ball bearings into the diff causing damage everywhere.

Is it always the ring gear that goes? And if so, can I keep EVERYTHING else and just replace the ring and pinion gear using the Traxxas 5379X part?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You would be better is doing the losi mod
    Sometimes its the ring gear then the pinion and then the spider gears. I had all three way separate times

RC Champion
    Spinning one rear tire and getting smooth spider action(reverse rotation) from the other rear tire confirms intact diff internals(spider gears) I would just replace the ring gear and pinion.

I would certainly recommend the Losi mod if you are stripping diffs on a regular basis.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...6-ERBE-rebuild
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    Kept blowing diffs weekly. Went with the summit axles and no problems since. The axles allow some flex from the torque produced by lipos. With metal cvd's there is no flex and all that torque goes to the weakest link which is the teeth on the ring gear. Jmo
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good