RC Racer

New Traxxas 2S 5000 mah not balancing.

This is my first run in with a battery acting funny. I have a new Traxxas 2S 5000 mah that came out of the box balanced within .01 volts, first charge quickly showed cell 2 going up .5 volts and the charge timed out before getting better. I thought it was odd, so I swapped to another channel and started a new balance charge with another balance board, but it also just hung in that same mid charge condition.

So I switched to a storage charge (discharge at this point) and then back to a balance charge. I've now cycled this 4 times today and yet it is still off and hanging at 3.8 and 3.9 volts. It's getting closer, but the charge is hanging due to what I think it's the charger trying to find a way to gain balance.

Should I keep going tomorrow evening and cycle it up and down a couple more times, or is this a bad new pack? I've used a total of 2 separate and unique banks on a 4 bank charger and one totally different Onyx 245 and the condition moves from charger to charger. Also, 3 separate balance boards have been used to eliminate the boards as being a cause.

Sent from a Galaxy S3, far....far away.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I would call Traxxas... might be a bum pack.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Jimmy,

I got it to come to within 0.2 volts of each other with multiple cycles from storage mode to balance charge mode. It will not charge to 4.2V/4.2V because the cells are hanging with a 0.2-0.25V difference and the charger ends up dropping to 0A charge rate and just death spirals until the 90 min charge timer kills the charger.

I just called Traxxas and he said that a pack that ballances to within 0.2V per cell is fine and that there is nothing wrong. I told him that being that the pack will not go to the 8.4V because it hangs up on the charger and times out, the pack is useless to me for SCT racing. He suggested I mail the battery in and let them determine if the pack is in fact bad or not, but he doesnt feel that I have a problem

I did tell him that I have 9 LiPo packs and they all balance to within 0.01V of each other, even the 2 Traxxas packs (2S 7,600) balance to within 0.01V every time and come back out of the truck still within 0.02V normally. I really feel that based on the 9 packs worth of supporting data and experience, that there something goofy going on with this pack. I lost. 1 week old, brand new, never ran Traxxas pack.... dead.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I am with you on this one... they should balance out better than that.
    Something is awry!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    He asked if my charger could be the cause as well, but I don't think so based on the fact that my other 2 Traxxas packs and my 7 off brand packs all balance out perfectly and I do verify my cells with my fluke. This pack has been on 2 ports of this no name charger as well as cycled up on the Onyx 245 that I have, so that its three independent chargers with the same results. I'm on my first discharge of the evening right now, I ended (charger gave up) with a 0.16 volt spread.

RC Racer
    It finally came in. Had to cycle it up and down a slew of times, but in the end out came into balance. I spent two weeks of occasional evenings balance charging and storage discharging, but it worked out.